Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you prefer?
San Diego 69 57.98%
Toronto 50 42.02%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 08:17 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree as well. It does not match those cities. It lacked charm, grit, and was overpriced.
Lacked grit? How so?
I can see lacking charm -- it does come off as somewhat generic -- but grit? It has plenty of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 08:18 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Not even close lol and this is coming from someone who lived in both cities (Miami for much longer). Toronto wrecks Miami in all the categories (more events, higher overall energy, urbanity, transit, etc.)The only advantage Miami has is probably Wynwood, but even then Kensington Market is its own funky thing that you don't find elsewhere. Now again Toronto still has catching up to do with NYC or Hong Kong but it is definitely on par with Chicago and in the top on the continent.
Yeah that confused me too. Miami is a great place, full of energy, but... Toronto is on a different level when it comes to almost everything not involving nightlife and weather (debatable here.)

Old 11-12-2020, 08:21 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,654,446 times
Quote:
I agree as well. It does not match those cities. It lacked charm, grit, and was overpriced.
Okay there, so I'm assuming you're forgetting about Kensington Market/Chinatown, Distillery District (both has grit and charm), Queen West street has grit and charm as well (older buildings, street art), St. Lawrence has charm, Cabbagetown has grit and charm as well. All areas where urbanites love for its character, grittiness and urban charm. Of course, I'm not listing all neighbourhoods that fit this criteria, but for you to say that it lacks it shows you don't know much about Toronto.
As for overpriced, literally all major cities are overpriced lol. Toronto as well, but it makes sense since it is the fastest growing city on the continent (or in the top 3) growing at nearly 130-150K per year means prices shoot up, not hard stuff.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:37 AM

444 posts, read 282,706 times
Quote:
For anyone who thinks Toronto lacks charm and grit then view the phototread below.
As a Torontonian, it's the most realistic depiction of central Toronto I have seen and you will get the true sense of what the city is like (in 2019)
As for comment that Toronto is just like 5 other eastern cities, I really don't see it. We have dramatically different demographics and built form compared to any other large North American city. I don't know of any other city outside of Ontario that has the same built form as Toronto with highrise buildings all over the city often right beside a 2 floor house/townhouse all over the city.

Toronto AC/BC - SkyscraperPage Forum

Last edited by Trojan1982; 11-12-2020 at 10:55 AM..

Old 11-12-2020, 11:05 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,654,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
For anyone who thinks Toronto lacks charm and grit then view the phototread below.
As a Torontonian, it's the most realistic depiction of central Toronto I have seen and you will get the true sense of what the city is like (in 2019)
As for comment that Toronto is just like 5 other eastern cities, I really don't see it. We have dramatically different demographics and built form compared to any other large North American city. I don't know of any other city outside of Ontario that has the same built form as Toronto with highrise buildings all over the city often right beside a 2 floor house/townhouse all over the city.

Toronto AC/BC - SkyscraperPage Forum
What a beautiful set! Shows all the grit and character of Toronto (the ones people say the city "lacks").

Old 11-12-2020, 11:14 AM

444 posts, read 282,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
What a beautiful set! Shows all the grit and character of Toronto (the ones people say the city "lacks").
Anyone who says Toronto lack grit has never been here

Old 11-12-2020, 02:37 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
IMO, Toronto wins this one easily.

quality of life: San Diego
economy: Toronto
nightlife: Toronto
scenery: San Diego
daytime activities/events: Toronto
shopping/entertainment venues: Toronto
transportation: Toronto
overall vibe: Toronto

Old 11-12-2020, 09:08 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I would pick a modest $2 million house a couple blocks off the beach in La Jolla over anything in Toronto. The climate kind of wins out over any Toronto advantage.
Well this argument basically sells it for me LOL. Almost forgot about the cost of homes in Toronto.

A rowhome closer to downtown Toronto will cost you as much as a ranch-style SFH in a coastal neighborhood. Median household income is higher in San Diego as well...

Old 11-12-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
Thanks for sharing these pictures...really great!

Overall, I still found Toronto pretty generic northeast city, much like San Diego neighborhoods and suburbs all feel generic SoCal.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
IMO, Toronto wins this one easily.

quality of life: San Diego
economy: Toronto
nightlife: Toronto
scenery: San Diego
daytime activities/events: Toronto
shopping/entertainment venues: Toronto
transportation: Toronto
overall vibe: Toronto
Once again, everyone knows Toronto wins in more categories.

Yet there is a reason why San Diego is winning the poll 57%...I think the point of this discussion is to dive into that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City