Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 12:33 AM

28 posts, read 40,378 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

A group of 5 us are planning a couple 4 night trips this year. We will likely go to Chicago in August but want to plan a fall trip as well. These three cities seem to be the 3 close runner ups (and we still may even switch one with Chicago in August).

We are all mid to late twenties. We want to enjoy some good food + good nightlife, but also would like to do some potential sightseeing during the days. As far as nightlife, I would say we just enjoy drinking and having a good time. Sometimes dancing depending on the music (hip hop will get me on the dance floor lol).

I just wanted to post here to see any opinions on these cities from others since we are having a tough time deciding between them. How's the nightlife compare in these cities? It seems NOLA/Nashville may have a better bar scene and Miami club scene, but I could be off base here. Would Miami be better for dancing, or does NOLA/Nashville offer just as much?

Any input/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 03:47 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
What month are you planning for? As for nightlife very few cities can match Miami's club scene.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:02 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
It will really depend on what type of scene you and your friends want as all 3 have pretty solid nightlife. Miami's club scene is not for everyone. I would rank the three like this: 1 - New Orleans, 2 - Miami and 3 - Nashville.

New Orleans has great food, tons of bars, a pretty compact downtown area (easy to walk), cheap alcohol, great happy hours and great live music venues. Bars also stay open very late and some don't even close. Miami also has a later closing time of 5 am. World War II museum, Garden District and Audubon Zoo are good options to do some sight seeing.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:53 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I was just in Nashville in May and NOLA at the end of March. Great time in both places.

Miami will offer the most international feel and is more suitable if you're into the club scene and EDM. Will be the priciest option if you're staying where the action is.

Nashville skews more toward a fratty party scene though it's decently well-rounded. Great for live music, obviously.

New Orleans, like Nashville, is probably more comfortable for regular folks just looking to have a good time in general. I personally think the food is the best here, but certainly amazing food can be had in all three places. The scene is pretty quirky and diverse...NOLA prides itself on that and also seems to bring that out of its visitors.

All three are great, just depends on what you're seeking.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback from all! I feel like NOLA would be more up our alley, but definitely want to check out all three eventually.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:54 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
I would go with New Orleans or Miami. But likely New Orleans unless a beach is necessary.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:13 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
New Orleans

Old 07-02-2018, 07:51 PM

Would I be crazy to switch our Chicago trip in August to NOLA? I know it can get crazy hot in August so that's why we were waiting until the fall. The hotels I briefly looked at seem to have some nice rates in August though

Old 07-02-2018, 10:27 PM

24 posts, read 12,691 times
I would say Miami would have the most sightseeing day trip options - Keys (maybe stretching what's meant by a day trip), Everglades (a tourist trap but worth it 1 time), the beaches themselves. NOLA you'd probably find yourself exploring the city - there is a ton of stuff to see actually in NOLA, whereas I can't think of much to see in Miami.

Just as a warning, hurricane season picks up steam in September and is still kicking in October. Both NOLA and Miami are prone to hurricanes.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:20 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonTownie View Post
I would say Miami would have the most sightseeing day trip options - Keys (maybe stretching what's meant by a day trip), Everglades (a tourist trap but worth it 1 time), the beaches themselves. NOLA you'd probably find yourself exploring the city - there is a ton of stuff to see actually in NOLA, whereas I can't think of much to see in Miami.

Just as a warning, hurricane season picks up steam in September and is still kicking in October. Both NOLA and Miami are prone to hurricanes.
Miami has the Art Deco district along with the beach to do...Lincoln Road, etc.
A metro of 6 million people and you can't think of much to see in Miami?
What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City