Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 05:04 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by So FL Guy 1289 View Post
I believe it. Although, I'd say 57 minutes during rush hour to go about 30 miles is not too bad.
That just doesn't happen in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 05:38 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
If you're paying 700k for a home, do you really care about 5k in taxes?
5k? Try 15k. And yes, 5k is a nice family vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That just doesn't happen in DC.
It did today.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:36 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by So FL Guy 1289 View Post
Ahh - 2 hours is a bit of a stretch. My sister and brother in law live in the Broadlands, next to Ashburn. He commutes to Boeing. Right now, at the height of rush hour, I just checked both Waze and Google Maps. His trip door to door is 57 minutes.
lol nice try. An average commute to DC from Ashburn on a week day is an hour and a half commute MINIMUM. 2 hours would be common at that distance, but I suppose a back up or third option route you could do better than that.

I often commute from Arlington, VA to central PG County and its 1hr 20- 1hr 30mins to go 18-20 miles on some days.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
lol nice try. An average commute to DC from Ashburn on a week day is an hour and a half commute MINIMUM. 2 hours would be common at that distance, but I suppose a back up or third option route you could do better than that.

I often commute from Arlington, VA to central PG County and its 1hr 20- 1hr 30mins to go 18-20 miles on some days.
He’s right. It’s 7:30 on a weekday morning (rush hour) and the commute this very second from Ashburn to DC is 50 minutes.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:32 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
He’s right. It’s 7:30 on a weekday morning (rush hour) and the commute this very second from Ashburn to DC is 50 minutes.
Wrong. Friday mornings are always light due to people teleworking or work 9/80 scheduling meaning they have every other Friday off (popular in government agencies and contractors), everyone who lives in this area knows that.

You should really do more research because you have no clue what you’re talking about.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Wrong. Friday mornings are always light due to people teleworking or work 9/80 scheduling meaning they have every other Friday off (popular in government agencies and contractors), everyone who lives in this area knows that.

You should really do more research because you have no clue what you’re talking about.
I don’t have to “do research”. I live in greater DC suburbs and live it. Sure, traffic is bad, but it’s not nearly as bad as people think.

People in DC, from my experience, think the traffic is the worst, the cost of living is the highest, and their people are the wealthiest. Tell them otherwise and the above is what happens. There’s a complex in DC like I’ve never seen before.

Meanwhile, people who have lived in other metros (LA and NYC, like myself) just shake their head.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
I don’t have to “do research”. I live in greater DC suburbs and live it. Sure, traffic is bad, but it’s not nearly as bad as people think.

People in DC, from my experience, think the traffic is the worst, the cost of living is the highest, and their people are the wealthiest. Tell them otherwise and the above is what happens. There’s a complex in DC like I’ve never seen before.

Meanwhile, people who have lived in other metros (LA and NYC, like myself) just shake their head.
So, which coastal northeastern DC suburb do you live in?

Old 08-03-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
So, which coastal northeastern DC suburb do you live in?
Oh, look who’s back. “Coastal NE” doesn’t necessarily mean I live right on the water. I moved to Fairfax County and love it. But if it makes you feel better to insinuate I don’t live here, go ahead. *shrug*

Old 08-03-2018, 06:20 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:

No one says that because it’s cool or cute, it’s facts - for about 4 or 5 years straight this area was rated as having the worst traffic in the nation. As you mentioned a few pages back, while this area is wealthy it’s in an upper middle class way, not in a 1% way - so the fact that the prices here are not far off from NYC or SF is a problem. I certainly don’t think the DC area is the wealthiest but there is a cohesion of wealth that you don’t see in most large metro areas.

Like I said, you need to do more research because you’re speaking about things you clearly don’t know about.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
No one says that because it’s cool or cute, it’s facts - for about 4 or 5 years straight this area was rated as having the worst traffic in the nation. As you mentioned a few pages back, while this area is wealthy it’s in an upper middle class way, not in a 1% way - so the fact that the prices here are not far off from NYC or SF is a problem. I certainly don’t think the DC area is the wealthiest but there is a cohesion of wealth that you don’t see in most large metro areas.

Like I said, you need to do more research because you’re speaking about things you clearly don’t know about.
Having lived in 2 other major metro areas, I think I’m in a good position to accurately compare.

First, I’m with you on the “upper middle class-ness” of DC. As stated numerous times, it’s an excellent place to live for a moderately successful couple. You don’t see Bentley after Lambo after Rolls, and that’s a good thing. The 1%-ness seen in other areas is IMO a turn off.

And re:traffic, the most recent study (released in Feb by Inrix) has DC at # 6. They calculate % of time each commuter sits in traffic. DC was way behind greater LA and the NYC tri state, as it should’ve been. The roadways in DC, while congested, are nowhere near as nightmarish as 95 between GWB and New Haven or 405 in LA. Perhaps 95 south of DC to Stafford can almost compare, but the dramatics DC-ites display when talking about their traffic is a little comical.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 08-03-2018 at 06:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City