Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:24 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The thing that a lot of people don't seem to get is that the salaries all depend on the type of job you have. If you work for any type of federal government agency for example (of which there are LOTS of places), you're paid on their scale. Their GS scale adjusts depending on what part of the country you live in, sure, but a quick glance at their salary sheets shows me that a GS13 makes around $20k less in Melbourne, FL, than in San Francisco... $100,000 will take care of you pretty well in Central Florida. $120k in San Francisco, not so much.
We get that. Thing is the difficulty of getting into a government job. Could mean a security clearance, could mean other things. Not everyone can work for the government. And not everyone should, or should feel as though they have to in order to make a decent wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 06:50 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times
Still think any area outside of the West Coast, New England, NOVA, and Miami are inexpensive compared to these areas. Your dollar can really stretch.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:29 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The thing that a lot of people don't seem to get is that the salaries all depend on the type of job you have. If you work for any type of federal government agency for example (of which there are LOTS of places), you're paid on their scale. Their GS scale adjusts depending on what part of the country you live in, sure, but a quick glance at their salary sheets shows me that a GS13 makes around $20k less in Melbourne, FL, than in San Francisco... $100,000 will take care of you pretty well in Central Florida. $120k in San Francisco, not so much.
Which is why I don't trust those COL calculators. You can live better on 40K in San Antonio than you can `100K in SF

Old 07-18-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Still think any area outside of the West Coast, New England, NOVA, and Miami are inexpensive compared to these areas. Your dollar can really stretch.
Maybe Denver and Seattle (unless you count Seattle as west coast).

Old 07-18-2018, 11:47 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
COL is mostly based on proximity to major metros.

I'm no expert on most of Virginia, but I used to work in Lebanon, VA for two years. I'm in Bristol, VA several times a week. I'm fairly familiar with up to Roanoke.

Southwest VA isn't expensive at all, but there are virtually no jobs there, and the areas are emptying out. A lot of people think VA is this rich, successful state, but aside from Charlottesville and the "Crescent," which might be 20% of the land area of the state, most of Virginia is like Mississippi.

I'm not as familiar with Florida. I've been to Tampa several times, and have compared to Nashville, and rents and property prices seem much more reasonable in Tampa, and much of Florida overall aside from SE FL, than in Nashville. It did not seem that out of line to me.

I spent about four days in Raleigh over the Fourth. Much nicer city than Tampa, more livable, better traffic and cheaper than Nashville. I've also spent time in Charlotte and it seems to be a toss-up to slightly cheaper than Raleigh.

I live in a small city in northeast TN, which is probably the most desirable city between Knoxville and Asheville. Wages here for most fields are awful. Professional jobs are hard to come by. Still, for the small bit of "upper middle class suburban housing here," we're more expensive than similar neighborhoods in Indianapolis and most of its suburbs. The toniest suburbs of Indy are generally more expensive than anywhere around here, but median household income goes well into the six figures. It's under $40k here. If you're wanting an updated suburban home zoned to city schools here, you're going to be around $200k-$225k as an entry point. With our very low incomes, not many families can afford a $200k house.

I've also lived in Indianapolis and Des Moines. Indianapolis is by far cheaper than similarly sized Southern cities. Wages seem to be higher in the Midwest. Ohio is very cheap. Overall, I'd put Indiana and Ohio as quite a bit less expensive than Tennessee or the Carolinas, much less higher cost Southern states like TX, FL, and VA. AL, MS, and GA outside of Atlanta are probably cheaper, but there is absolutely no economy in most of those areas.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:43 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
COL is mostly based on proximity to major metros.

I'm no expert on most of Virginia, but I used to work in Lebanon, VA for two years. I'm in Bristol, VA several times a week. I'm fairly familiar with up to Roanoke.

Southwest VA isn't expensive at all, but there are virtually no jobs there, and the areas are emptying out. A lot of people think VA is this rich, successful state, but aside from Charlottesville and the "Crescent," which might be 20% of the land area of the state, most of Virginia is like Mississippi.
20% of the land, but at least about 80% of the population, which is really all that matters.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:41 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
20% of the land, but at least about 80% of the population, which is really all that matters.
Exactly; more like 70% of the population is in the Urban Crescent, but your point still stands...

Outer Virginia has a lot of Tennessee/WV going on. The climate and geography is far too different from Mississippi, which helps shape the areas culturally, but it is definitely inexpensive to live in Outer VA...

Old 07-20-2018, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 10,692 times
Virginia is expensive, you're so right and I hate living here. We are trying to find more liberal progressive states that are affordable for us.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpirtuallyAwake35 View Post
Virginia is expensive, you're so right and I hate living here. We are trying to find more liberal progressive states that are affordable for us.
Yep, once you leave Nova, you're in the south. No different than any other southern state.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:26 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep, once you leave Nova, you're in the south. No different than any other southern state.
Every time I go to Fredericksburg or Spotsylvania, I'm always surprised at how southern it is. It honestly is a different world from the places north of it. I've always found Virginia interesting in that sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City