Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:28 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Every time I go to Fredericksburg or Spotsylvania, I'm always surprised at how southern it is. It honestly is a different world from the places north of it. I've always found Virginia interesting in that sense.
It really is right? I got the mileage wrong in an earlier post, but I drove about 1.5 hours out south of DC once, and I saw some confederate flags on a lot of the houses. Really polarized state. I consider Nova as the beginning of the Bowash corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 09:58 PM

830 posts, read 1,019,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It really is right? I got the mileage wrong in an earlier post, but I drove about 1.5 hours out south of DC once, and I saw some confederate flags on a lot of the houses. Really polarized state. I consider Nova as the beginning of the Bowash corridor.
What year was it, 1864? You realize how ridiculous that sounds. A lot of houses? More like, once upon a time, you crossed into Caroline County and there were a lot of trees and no Targets or crappy Panera along the interstate for like 30 mins. It was so southern...

In reality, the political/economic/cultural division in Virginia is increasingly between the Eastern portion of the state and the West. 35.4% of the state's population is in NOVA, 20.2% in Hampton Roads and 18.6% in Richmond.|Weldon Cooper Center Demographics. That leaves only 25% in the rest of the big, awkwardly shaped state. Virginia has more locales further from its state capital than any other state.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:00 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Outside of NOVA, Virginia's pretty affordable. Outside the coast, Florida is pretty affordable.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:38 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
What year was it, 1864? You realize how ridiculous that sounds. A lot of houses? More like, once upon a time, you crossed into Caroline County and there were a lot of trees and no Targets or crappy Panera along the interstate for like 30 mins. It was so southern...

In reality, the political/economic/cultural division in Virginia is increasingly between the Eastern portion of the state and the West. 35.4% of the state's population is in NOVA, 20.2% in Hampton Roads and 18.6% in Richmond.|Weldon Cooper Center Demographics. That leaves only 25% in the rest of the big, awkwardly shaped state. Virginia has more locales further from its state capital than any other state.
Read this, in a melancholy, soothing, but authoritative voice:

The year was 2016. It was a mild fall day, the sun was fighting through the cumulus clouds of Virginia.

I'm pretty sure Targets are prevalent in the south. I think the larger southern cities tend to have at least as many strip malls as it's union counterparts. They may even have running water there cousin Jim

Why is a confederate flag a bad thing? It's not a symbol of hate is it? Embrace your past, learn from it, but most of all......relax.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 07-20-2018 at 10:47 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 04:19 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Quote:
Read this, in a melancholy, soothing, but authoritative voice:

The year was 2016. It was a mild fall day, the sun was fighting through the cumulus clouds of Virginia.

I'm pretty sure Targets are prevalent in the south. I think the larger southern cities tend to have at least as many strip malls as it's union counterparts. They may even have running water there cousin Jim

Why is a confederate flag a bad thing? It's not a symbol of hate is it? Embrace your past, learn from it, but most of all......relax.
Target was founded and headquartered in the Upper Midwest and are prevalent nationwide. Your attempt to paint Virginia as a Confederacy-obsessed southern oasis is a fail...

You're more interested in the flag than anybody in urban Virginia is. Nobody cares about your 2016 trip that you supposedly were around a thousand flags. Hope you enjoyed yourself, but being that even you admit you can't identify where you were, we all know where you weren't...

Old 07-21-2018, 11:53 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Why is a confederate flag a bad thing? It's not a symbol of hate is it?
"The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution...

The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the 'storm came and the wind blew.'

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth...

Many governments have been founded upon the principle of the subordination and serfdom of certain classes of the same race; such were and are in violation of the laws of nature. Our system commits no such violation of nature’s laws. With us, all of the white race, however high or low, rich or poor, are equal in the eye of the law. Not so with the negro. Subordination is his place. He, by nature, or by the curse against Canaan, is fitted for that condition which he occupies in our system."

“Corner Stone” Speech | Teaching American History

This is why.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:19 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
Quote:
Yep. In Stafford County/Fredericksurg last year there was a huge fight between the Board of Supervisors and citizens in the community who were frustrated that someone in their yard put up a HUGE confederate flag that everyone could see on 95 and they said they felt it made the county look "backwards" and "unwelcoming" but the BoS ultimately concluded there was nothing they could do since it was on private property and the guy who put it up refused to take it down.

I always LOL at folks who swear Virginia is not the south, if you get out enough, travel OUTSIDE of NoVa, you will quickly see that it's still the south, like anywhere, it's grown and there's been some progression but it's still Virginia.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:40 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Yep. In Stafford County/Fredericksurg last year there was a huge fight between the Board of Supervisors and citizens in the community who were frustrated that someone in their yard put up a HUGE confederate flag that everyone could see on 95 and they said they felt it made the county look "backwards" and "unwelcoming" but the BoS ultimately concluded there was nothing they could do since it was on private property and the guy who put it up refused to take it down.

I always LOL at folks who swear Virginia is not the south, if you get out enough, travel OUTSIDE of NoVa, you will quickly see that it's still the south, like anywhere, it's grown and there's been some progression but it's still Virginia.
How is this any different from Atlanta, or Charlotte, NC?

Old 07-22-2018, 07:44 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
How is this any different from Atlanta, or Charlotte, NC?
I never said it was?

Old 07-22-2018, 07:53 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
I never said it was?
I know. I just don't get the observation/criticism when other Southern states are the same way. Most states have their own culture that is unique to the state but entirely different than what happens in the city centers. Midwestern states are a great example of this. One can have entirely different experiences in a city or even an urban county, like say Franklin, Montgomery, Summit or Cuyahoga than they would where the farms are located.

Plus Hampton Roads is shaping up to have an urban identity that is different from what exists in Northern Virginia. I can't speak for Richmond I'm never there. But I find it hard to believe that there is no differentiation between this and the rural counties outside of both areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City