Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
All moot since were talking hundreds of miles from the city center - so not at all commutable (unless you’re wishing for severe hypertension by 35).

Fact still remains that you can’t get a brand new, 4500 sf new build 30 miles outside NYC for 700k in a desirable town with good schools.
This all seems rather arbitrary. How large is the market for 4500 square-foot new build homes with two hour rush-hour commutes? If were being honest most older and establish metros don’t have many 4500 square-foot new build homes within 30 miles of the city, at ANY price. Where are they building new subdivisions within 30 miles of New York, Boston, Philadelphia or San Francisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 09:02 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Price per square foot is a ridiculous metric unless you’re comparing entirely similar neighborhoods. Median home price is far more meaningful. You aren’t going to find 400,000 square-foot McMansions in an older, densely populated suburb. The point is that it’s missed leading to say that you can’t get a large house in a nice suburb of other major East Coast cities in the same price range.

https://www.redfin.com/NJ/Maplewood/...m_content=link

This is closer to New York than Ashburn Virginia is to DC. Northern Virginia is not cheap compared to other metros.
I could compare by cost of living index, too, which still shows Jersey suburbs to be far more expensive than NoVa’s equivalent non-core suburbs.

I didn’t say DC is cheap compared to “other metros”. I said DC offers an affordable lifestyle when comparing against other world class metros, like NYC and SF, which is absolutely true.

Quote:
This all seems rather arbitrary. How large is the market for 4500 square-foot new build homes with two hour rush-hour commutes? If were being honest most older and establish metros don’t have many 4500 square-foot new build homes within 30 miles of the city, at ANY price. Where are they building new subdivisions within 30 miles of New York, Boston, Philadelphia or San Francisco?
Clearly, people are living that far out if traffic is as bad as people are saying, from Ashburn (and 2 hours is quite an exaggeration).

Old 08-01-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I could compare by cost of living index, too, which still shows Jersey suburbs to be far more expensive than NoVa’s equivalent non-core suburbs.

I didn’t say DC is cheap compared to “other metros”. I said DC offers an affordable lifestyle when comparing against other world class metros, like NYC and SF, which is absolutely true.

Clearly, people are living that far out if traffic is as bad as people are saying, from Ashburn (and 2 hours is quite an exaggeration).
So your argument is essentially: Northern Virginia is less expensive than the second most expensive metro in the country? That doesn’t contradict the central thesis of this thread; that the south is affordable outside of Virginia and Florida.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
So your argument is essentially: Northern Virginia is less expensive than the second most expensive metro in the country? That doesn’t contradict the central thesis of this thread; that the south is affordable outside of Virginia and Florida.
It’s really not an argument - it’s a statement that for the world class amenities DC offers, you can get a lot more for your money than other world class cities. That’s all. To prove my point, I said you can get a 700k, 4500 square foot new construction home just 30 miles outside downtown DC, in a desirable town with good schools, and that you couldn’t do that in other world class metro areas.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
It’s really not an argument - it’s a statement that for the world class amenities DC offers, you can get a lot more for your money than other world class cities. That’s all.
Except that isn’t true of any city except NY and SF. If you’re willing to move that far out, you can get just as much in any top-tier US metro.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Except that isn’t true of any city except NY and SF. If you’re willing to move that far out, you can get just as much in any top-tier US metro.
I said “world class”, which is really NYC tri state, SF, LA and DC. Among those, as I stated, you can get way more for your money in DC.

Boston I’ll concede, although property taxes in the northeast would shock Northern Virginians.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I said “world class”, which is really NYC tri state, SF, LA and DC. Among those, as I stated, you can get way more for your money in DC.

Boston I’ll concede, although property taxes in the northeast would shock Northern Virginians.
Chicago and Philly are also cheaper metros. Insinuating that either metro offers less than DC would be disingenuous.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Chicago and Philly are also cheaper metros. Insinuating that either metro offers less than DC would be disingenuous.
I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make, here, by bringing up metros that are hardly world class. Again, my original statement was the DC area is far more affordable than any other WORLD CLASS metro, and that’s true.

And yes, I’d argue that both Chicago and Philly offer less than any of the world class metros. But that’s another thread.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:06 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
All moot since were talking hundreds of miles from the city center - so not at all commutable (unless you’re wishing for severe hypertension by 35).

Fact still remains that you can’t get a brand new, 4500 sf new build 30 miles outside NYC for 700k in a desirable town with good schools.
I was just stating what to expect in those areas. Now, why do you think that is in regards to the NYC area? Hmm...

Also, DC’s overall COL is quite high. https://www.businessinsider.com/most...ity-map-2017-7

Old 08-01-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was just stating what to expect in those areas. Now, why do you think that is in regards to the NYC area? Hmm...

Also, DC’s overall COL is quite high. https://www.businessinsider.com/most...ity-map-2017-7
I never said DC was cheap - I said it was more affordable than NYC and west coast metros, and you can get a nicer home closer to the city center as opposed to NYC/SF etc. I’m not sure how many times I have to reiterate this.

The map you posted shows that to be true. DC’s dark red is about 2/3 to 1/2 that of the other metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City