Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 06:41 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I never said DC was cheap - I said it was more affordable than NYC and west coast metros, and you can get a nicer home closer to the city center as opposed to NYC/SF etc. I’m not sure how many times I have to reiterate this.

The map you posted shows that to be true. DC’s dark red is about 2/3 to 1/2 that of the other metros.
DC’s dark red means that it is one of the most expensive metros in the country and the article shows that it is the 8th most expensive metro, to be specific. It literally shows that the difference isn’t that much different according to the Regional Price Parity information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 07:29 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
DC’s dark red means that it is one of the most expensive metros in the country and the article shows that it is the 8th most expensive metro, to be specific. It literally shows that the difference isn’t that much different according to the Regional Price Parity information.
Referring back to my first sentence in my previous post, I never said DC was cheap. I said it was more affordable than greater NYC and west coast metros. Now, I’ve repeated myself three times.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:36 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Referring back to my first sentence in my previous post, I never said DC was cheap. I said it was more affordable than greater NYC and west coast metros. Now, I’ve repeated myself three times.
So that we clear this up once in for all.

You are saying that out of what you referred to 4 "world class" cities of NY, LA, SF, and DC.

You'd rank it in terms of affordability:

NY
SF
LA

And then DC.

Nothing more nothing less right?

You are not saying there are many if not any other metro areas that are either big or "world class" that are cheaper overall.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
So that we clear this up once in for all.

You are saying that out of what you referred to 4 "world class" cities of NY, LA, SF, and DC.

You'd rank it in terms of affordability:

NY
SF
LA

And then DC.

Nothing more nothing less right?

You are not saying there are many if not any other metro areas that are either big or "world class" that are cheaper overall.
I suppose that depends on your definition of “world class”, but yes, this is exactly what I’m saying.

I suppose I’ll be opening up another can of worms here, but DC doesn’t have as much 1% wealth prevalent in the other big 3, either. It’s a uniformly affluent metro without insane extremes, especially on the high end. But that’s another thread.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I heard you, but actually the information shows that it is higher than LA even if we are just talking about the 4 metros. So, can you explain that?

I’ll actually help your argument by including pay, as DC does have a higher median household income than those 4 areas. So, that helps explain what you are trying to say.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I heard you, but actually the information shows that it is higher than LA even if we are just talking about the 4 metros. So, can you explain that?

I’ll actually help your argument by including pay, as DC does have a higher median household income than those 4 areas. So, that helps explain what you are trying to say.
It’s all about extremes (or lack thereof). Like I previously mentioned, DC is more uniform. While there are some serious impoverished areas in DC, they don’t have the widespread impoverished areas of LA and beyond. On the other hand, DC doesn’t have the extreme 1% [billionaire] wealth that NYC/CT, LA and SF do. And DC’s suburbs, looking at HH income, are pretty uniformly upper middle class. It’s not common to see exotic car after exotic car on the road to the degree of Greenwich CT, Marin or west LA.

Anyway, back to the original point, you can build a brand new, 4K square foot home in a good school district 30 miles outside DC for 700k. That’s just not possible in the other 3 areas (maybe LA, depending on your definition of good schools, but that’s a stretch).

Old 08-01-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
It’s all about extremes (or lack thereof). Like I previously mentioned, DC is more uniform. While there are some serious impoverished areas in DC, they don’t have the widespread impoverished areas of LA and beyond. On the other hand, DC doesn’t have the extreme 1% [billionaire] wealth that NYC/CT, LA and SF do. And DC’s suburbs, looking at HH income, are pretty uniformly upper middle class. It’s not common to see exotic car after exotic car on the road to the degree of Greenwich CT, Marin or west LA.

Anyway, back to the original point, you can build a brand new, 4K square foot home in a good school district 30 miles outside DC for 700k. That’s just not possible in the other 3 areas (maybe LA, depending on your definition of good schools, but that’s a stretch).
I got all of that...To be fair, at least in terms of NYC and LA, both are much bigger than the DC metro in terms of population and have a higher population density. With the SF metro, it has as many people as the DC metro, but in less than half the land area. So, those things play a part in that as well.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:53 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Every time I go to Fredericksburg or Spotsylvania, I'm always surprised at how southern it is. It honestly is a different world from the places north of it. I've always found Virginia interesting in that sense.
Yep. Most areas of Virginia I've been to outside of NoVa, are southern as hell. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Just funny how some folks would even argue Virginia's place in the south or it's "Southernerness". It's about as Southern as anywhere I've ever been. Even certain parts of NoVa felt like the south to me.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I got all of that...To be fair, at least in terms of NYC and LA, both are much bigger than the DC metro in terms of population and have a higher population density. With the SF metro, it has as many people as the DC metro, but in less than half the land area. So, those things play a part in that as well.
They are much bigger and that’s why you can buy a more affordable home close to city center in DC. For NYC, even 40-50 miles out in towns like Westport, CT, you’re paying a million dollars for a small modest home.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:59 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Lol - you mean 100 miles outside of NYC? Sure. And the equivalent to 100 miles outside of DC past NoVa is WV, where the average home is $125k.
I meant the Kingston by Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City