Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 09:14 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,198 times

Advertisements

I wanted to hear some people compare their thoughts on Richmond VA vs. Knoxville TN. For someone in mid 40's, no kids, semi retired (won't have to rely too much on local economy for income). I have not been to either town. Knoxville is interesting to me because proximity to mountains, low cost of housing, UT sports, low taxes, nice people, and I like the types of music that seem like they might be well represented there... southern rock/bluegrass/mountain music/jam bands/ and some country type music.

Richmond I have done less research on, but seems like a good mid sized city, has decent cost of housing, college sports (VCU, Univ Richmond), traffic not as bad as mega cities, nice architecture, proximity to beaches, and not to far from mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 11:21 PM

Seems like Knoxville would be lower cost housing (both rent and house prices). I'm likely not looking to live right in the city, but outside city with some space and green/trees but very accessible to city. I'm curious how the immediate scenery compares Knoxville vs. Richmond. Also would be interested how summer weather compares.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:04 AM

There has to be someone out there who's been to both Richmond and Knoxville and has some strong opinions???

Old 01-29-2017, 09:15 AM

6,545 posts, read 12,040,501 times
Knoxville all the way. You can't go wrong with being the college town of UT, and you're right next to the Smokies. I've spent time in Richmond and there's nothing really there, and it has a high crime rate.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Knoxville all the way. You can't go wrong with being the college town of UT, and you're right next to the Smokies. I've spent time in Richmond and there's nothing really there, and it has a high crime rate.
Thanks. That is a major reason why I'm thinking Knox because of proximity to mountains. In addition to Smokies, to the West and Northwest of Knox seems to be some nice outdoor stuff in the Cumberland Plateau. Looks like the average temps throughout the year are pretty similar between the two cities, with Richmond getting more sunshine in winter and Knox getting more rain throughout the year.

Proximity to NC outer banks would be nice with Richmond. It looks like Richmond is about what 1.5 hrs to some good mountain terrain? I don't really care about being close to D.C., probably wouldn't go up there for much.

Which has a better airport? I noticed Knoxville is pretty pricey to fly out of and Nashville is really not that close at about 2.5hrs drive.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:28 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
I prefer Richmond. It is less stark than Knoxville in the winter and more convenient to other places.

I would look at the Midlothian area west of 288 and perhaps the Chesterfield area south of there.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:29 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,091,955 times
I know both towns pretty well having gone to UT Knoxville for a couple of years and from living 100 miles up I95 from Richmond for most of my life. And I much prefer Richmond. Richmond has more of a city feel with old walkable neighborhoods like the Fan. I think you could get on quite well without a car in Richmond. Knoxville is more spread out. You'd definitely need a car in Knoxville. Richmond has more in the way of music, clubs, restaurants, etc. Knoxville having the flagship state university has a good bit going on. But I think in general Knoxville is a slower paced town than Richmond. Knoxville is close to the Smoky Mts. which is a big asset, but Richmond is not far from the Blue Ridge and Virginia Beach. Crime is probably higher in Richmond which has a pretty high homicide rate. Knoxville feels safer. Climate (warm and humid summers) is a draw). Since I have a bias for dense older cities I prefer Richmond. But for a slower pace Knoxville would be a good choice. Also, if it matters, Knoxville has a more politically conservative and religious culture (read bible belt).

Old 01-29-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I know both towns pretty well having gone to UT Knoxville for a couple of years and from living 100 miles up I95 from Richmond for most of my life. And I much prefer Richmond. Richmond has more of a city feel with old walkable neighborhoods like the Fan. I think you could get on quite well without a car in Richmond. Knoxville is more spread out. You'd definitely need a car in Knoxville. Richmond has more in the way of music, clubs, restaurants, etc. Knoxville having the flagship state university has a good bit going on. But I think in general Knoxville is a slower paced town than Richmond. Knoxville is close to the Smoky Mts. which is a big asset, but Richmond is not far from the Blue Ridge and Virginia Beach. Crime is probably higher in Richmond which has a pretty high homicide rate. Knoxville feels safer. Climate (warm and humid is a draw). Since I have a bias for dense older cities I prefer Richmond. But for a slower pace Knoxville would be a good choice. Also, if it matters, Knoxville has a more politically conservative and religious culture (bible belt).
Thanks. Interesting that Richmond might have a better live music scene. I'm more libertarian/independent politically, but not very religious. Richmond is less landlocked and closer to more. I've lived in west coast cities for the past 28 yrs (San Diego, SF Bay, Seattle), but grew up in New England. I'm looking to be more outside of a city with elbow room now, but with a quick drive into a city. I'm a big college basketball fan, I would probably have season tickets to UT and in Richmond would hit a ton of VCU and Univ Richmond games. Big consideration for my move is lower house prices + less traffic + not in a rat race city.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:45 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,091,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Thanks. Interesting that Richmond might have a better live music scene. I'm more libertarian/independent politically, but not very religious. Richmond is less landlocked and closer to more. I've lived in west coast cities for the past 28 yrs (San Diego, SF Bay, Seattle), but grew up in New England. I'm looking to be more outside of a city with elbow room now, but with a quick drive into a city. I'm a big college basketball fan, I would probably have season tickets to UT and in Richmond would hit a ton of VCU and Univ Richmond games. Big consideration for my move is lower house prices + less traffic + not in a rat race city.
Neither town is really great for live music in the way that, say, Austin Texas is. But I'd give the edge to Richmond. I was a working musician (sax player) for about forty years, and I remember playing some good clubs in Richmond like the Cellar Door. In Knoxville the clubs we worked seemed to be mostly restaurants on the outskirts of town. Also the university brings in live music acts. Richmond has VCU and U. of Richmond.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:16 AM

Tennessee has no state income tax and pretty low property taxes which is a nice benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City