Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top choice?
Baltimore 18 72.00%
Hamilton 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:21 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,975,458 times

Advertisements

City Comparison: Baltimore (United States) versus Hamilton (Canada)

- Culture

- Tourist sites

- Economy

- Public transportation

- Cost of living

- Schools

- Quality of environment

- Food scene

- Entertainment

You can add in some discussion points as well if you feel there are any lacking.

I personally find the two to be comparable on several fronts, primarily in the fact that both are actual cities that sit in the shadows of Toronto and Washington D.C. and both cities represent the more industrial and manufacturing side of the economy far more than their larger neighbors 30-40 miles from them. I also suspect that both Baltimore and Hamilton are at the same juncture in their respective histories where they are beginning the transition from industrial to new age economy and both stand to gain and benefit from their immediate location from the likes of Toronto and Washington DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 01:24 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Baltimore is certainly a troubled city but it's still much larger than Hamilton and much more established, unique, vibrant and self-contained in terms of local culture and amenities.

So it will likely win on almost all fronts. Except maybe for safety, but I don't think that was on the list.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:06 PM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Baltimore is certainly a troubled city but it's still much larger than Hamilton and much more established, unique, vibrant and self-contained in terms of local culture and amenities.

So it will likely win on almost all fronts. Except maybe for safety, but I don't think that was on the list.
Agreed, if the was a city like Hamilton in the US it would probably be Bridgeport CT or Wilmington DE.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:53 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,300,828 times
Baltimore, easily.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:02 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,395,093 times
Baltimore

Old 08-04-2018, 04:27 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,512,728 times
Baltimore was five times the size of Hamilton in 1950. Though Baltimore's population has declined, most of that built environment is still there (for better or worse.) Also, if Baltimore's city limits included 340 square miles like Hamilton, the population would be at least 1.6 Million. I don't think the two city's development patterns and histories match up very well at all.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:05 AM

395 posts, read 599,278 times
Although Baltimore is much larger than Hamilton, they are an interesting comparison. Both are hardcore industrial centres and ports slowly making their transition to the new high-tech economy. Both suffer from being the butt of jokes but at the same time both have a solid character and soul which so many of the nouveau riche cities lack. They are also on the edge of much larger , wealthier, and internationally recognized cities.

Baltimore would have better transit and more culture, restaurants, shopping, and entertainment just by virtue of it's much larger size. Both have a great variety of old stock housing and rustic neighbourhoods. I did however vote for Hamilton. This is because, unlike very safe and low crime Hamilton, Baltimore is an exceedingly dangerous city. Baltimore is also rife with racial discourse and hence grotesque socio-economic stratification. Baltimore is very much a text book city of racial inequality in the US. Honestly, the only time Baltimore EVER makes the news is due to one it's semi-annual race riots. I would also rather live close to Toronto than more mundane Washington.

Baltimore really is the kind of city that really could eventually become genuinely cool one as it has such great bones but until it overcomes it's huge racial and economic divide and the horrid violence that is a result, I , like probably most Americans, will avoid it like the plague.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:42 AM

10,113 posts, read 9,984,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Although Baltimore is much larger than Hamilton, they are an interesting comparison. Both are hardcore industrial centres and ports slowly making their transition to the new high-tech economy. Both suffer from being the butt of jokes but at the same time both have a solid character and soul which so many of the nouveau riche cities lack. They are also on the edge of much larger , wealthier, and internationally recognized cities.

Baltimore would have better transit and more culture, restaurants, shopping, and entertainment just by virtue of it's much larger size. Both have a great variety of old stock housing and rustic neighbourhoods. I did however vote for Hamilton. This is because, unlike very safe and low crime Hamilton, Baltimore is an exceedingly dangerous city. Baltimore is also rife with racial discourse and hence grotesque socio-economic stratification. Baltimore is very much a text book city of racial inequality in the US. Honestly, the only time Baltimore EVER makes the news is due to one it's semi-annual race riots. I would also rather live close to Toronto than more mundane Washington.

Baltimore really is the kind of city that really could eventually become genuinely cool one as it has such great bones but until it overcomes it's huge racial and economic divide and the horrid violence that is a result, I , like probably most Americans, will avoid it like the plague.
Baltimore only had one riot in the last 50 years which happened 3 years ago. Before the Freddie Gray riot, Baltimore hadn't had a riot since MLK was assassinated in which just about every major city rioted.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:39 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,512,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

The interesting thing is that Baltimore's African American and White populations are pretty normal when compared with those groups in other US cities. The reason that Baltimore appears to be unusually unequal is that it is effectively well over 60% African American. That makes inequality with White people in general easy to see. The focus of African American anger is primarily against the 30% of the city population that is white. As a member of that minority group, I'm not sure if that focus is really productive. Baltimore's White minority is pretty small and therefore has limited capacity to help. Anyway, as one of only two major American cities that is mostly African American, I'm not sure it is a textbook case of anything.

Also, the Freddie Gray riots are the only race riots that I have experienced in my 30 years of living in Baltimore City. Were there others that I didn't notice?

Old 08-05-2018, 10:51 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,280,294 times
Not much love for Hamilton

It has it’s charms....I think it has so ething like 37 waterfalls ...the Niagara Escarpment
cuts right through the city....it actually is in beautiful setting but most people can’t
get past seeing all those ugly smoke stacks of the steel mills....
if Trump has his way (tariffs) maybe they will be a thing of the past anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City