Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 06:52 AM

47 posts, read 55,686 times

Advertisements

What cities offer white college grads most oppuntunies and what cities offer blacks

I would say blacks is DC and whites New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:11 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
New York is the answer to both. The size of New York’s black professional class is often underestimate it because the city is only around a quarter black. The city draws black professionals from all over the country, and also has relatively high rates of upward mobility.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:15 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminehicks2020 View Post
What cities offer white college grads most oppuntunies and what cities offer blacks

I would say blacks is DC and whites New York
For Blacks (by percentage) would definitely be DC followed by NY or Atlanta.

For Whites, you could say NY obviously, but Boston, Bay Area, DC and Seattle come to mind, as well as Chicago.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:07 AM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
For Blacks (by percentage) would definitely be DC followed by NY or Atlanta.

For Whites, you could say NY obviously, but Boston, Bay Area, DC and Seattle come to mind, as well as Chicago.
The bolded can be tricky in terms of areas that may not have a relatively Black population, but the percentage of professionals in relation to that population may be quite high. I believe that in the Black Mecca thread, BajanYankee provided some information that illustrated that and I believe that some Western metros and some select other metros in other regions were up there as well.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:21 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The bolded can be tricky in terms of areas that may not have a relatively Black population, but the percentage of professionals in relation to that population may be quite high. I believe that in the Black Mecca thread, BajanYankee provided some information that illustrated that and I believe that some Western metros and some select other metros in other regions were up there as well.
Yeah. I think most of the high-priced metros with relatively small populations (Denver, Seattle etc) tend to have a higher percentage of their black populations in the middle and upper-middle classes. Ditto for areas where the black population is largely military (San Antonio).

Old 08-02-2018, 08:50 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
At this point just about all cities are best for white professionals. Whites make up a vast majority of professionals anyway and are usually the fastest growing professional group when a city gentrifies!

So I think NYC and places like The Bay win because of population numbers

Old 08-04-2018, 05:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Since when did race become a qualification for employment? What is this, 1950?
Whites have to go here and blacks have to go there???? WTF?

Old 08-05-2018, 07:42 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,278,508 times
I think it really depends on the industry as much as the size of the overall black or white population. Boston is far from a black mecca and doesn't have a great reputation on race in general. But, if you are in life sciences or asset management Boston is probably a better city than say Atl reguardless of race. If your in media/fashion NYC etc.

Obviously there are a lot of declining/stagnate cities that aren't great for professionals of any race. But the only major US city where being a generic white professional would be somewhat of a disadvantage would maybe be Miami if you didn't know some spanish.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:02 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Since when did race become a qualification for employment? What is this, 1950?
Whites have to go here and blacks have to go there???? WTF?
Its always been that way.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:01 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I think it really depends on the industry as much as the size of the overall black or white population. Boston is far from a black mecca and doesn't have a great reputation on race in general. But, if you are in life sciences or asset management Boston is probably a better city than say Atl reguardless of race. If your in media/fashion NYC etc.

Obviously there are a lot of declining/stagnate cities that aren't great for professionals of any race. But the only major US city where being a generic white professional would be somewhat of a disadvantage would maybe be Miami if you didn't know some spanish.
I agree with this 100% opportunity is more realistic than race!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City