Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chinese in Vancouver vs. Cubans in Miami: stronger influence?
Chinese in Vancouver 8 16.00%
Cubans in Miami 42 84.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:15 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Never been to Vancouver but is Mandarin necessary to move in majority of circles as Spanish is in Miami?
If the necessity of Spanish in Miami is a 5 or 6 out of 10, then the necessity of Mandarin in Vancouver is barely a 1.

Keep in mind that there are more Punjabi speakers in Vancouver than speakers of Mandarin (or Cantonese, which actually has more speakers than Mandarin too).

Obviously though speaking a Chinese language is a very useful nice to have in the real estate sector in Vancouver. For other aspects of life it's not really much more useful than immigrant languages in any other city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 11:50 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If the necessity of Spanish in Miami is a 5 or 6 out of 10, then the necessity of Mandarin in Vancouver is barely a 1.

Keep in mind that there are more Punjabi speakers in Vancouver than speakers of Mandarin (or Cantonese, which actually has more speakers than Mandarin too).

Obviously though speaking a Chinese language is a very useful nice to have in the real estate sector in Vancouver. For other aspects of life it's not really much more useful than immigrant languages in any other city.
Yes, I never found a second language a necessity when visiting Vancouver; in Miami, it was frequently necessary, particularly when venturing out of the tourist areas.
Even so, one thing that seems to be true of the Cuban community in Miami is they're not as 'ghettoized' as some of the West Coast Chinese communities. The Chinese seem to place a premium on living in a majority Chinese neighborhood with majority Chinese schools. The Cubans I'm familiar with in Miami (particularly the 'first wave' immigrants) are by and large assimilated into most every Miami neighborhood, even the once notoriously Anglo enclave of Coral Gables.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Yes, I never found a second language a necessity when visiting Vancouver; in Miami, it was frequently necessary, particularly when venturing out of the tourist areas.
Even so, one thing that seems to be true of the Cuban community in Miami is they're not as 'ghettoized' as some of the West Coast Chinese communities. The Chinese seem to place a premium on living in a majority Chinese neighborhood with majority Chinese schools. The Cubans I'm familiar with in Miami (particularly the 'first wave' immigrants) are by and large assimilated into most every Miami neighborhood, even the once notoriously Anglo enclave of Coral Gables.
Due to the nature of the languages and writing systems, it's also a lot easier for Anglo-Americans and also Americanized second and third generation Hispanics in Miami to pick up some basic Spanish than it is for non-Chinese speakers to pick up Chinese in Vancouver.

It's extremely common for second and third generation Chinese-Canadian kids in BC to speak very little Chinese at all, and even fewer of them can read and write it.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:38 PM

676 posts, read 649,217 times
Quote:
Never been to Vancouver but is Mandarin necessary to move in majority of circles as Spanish is in Miami?
No. There are a small pocket of (albeit, useful and profitable for those involved) commercial services related to ride hailing and real estate transactions that non-Chinese speakers are shut out from - and this goes beyond the color of your skin, as whites who can speak Chinese can use these services just fine - but apart from that, politically and culturally Vancouver operates fully in (sometimes broken) English.

Chinese isn't remotely as woven (and celebrated) into the fabric of society in the lower Mainland as Cuban is in southern Florida.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
As Cuban as Miami city limits and suburban Dade County are, The demographics shift quite drastically between Broward and Dade. The black percentage is substantially higher in Broward and the Hispanic population is substantially lower. There are many parts of broward where you don't need to know a lick of Spanish to participate in local politics or open a business. Is the same true in metro Vancouver regarding the Chinese?

Old 08-08-2018, 04:36 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think it's that close, honestly.

Not all Hispanics in Miami are Cuban, but they dominate the Hispanic aspect of Miami's culture.

Overall something like two thirds of Miami city proper is Hispanic and close to half the metro population is Hispanic.

The majority of the population in Miami city speaks Spanish at home and just under half in Miami metro speaks Spanish at home.

Vancouver isn't close to any of these metrics either for Chinese origins or Chinese languages.
I disagree both with the notion that 1) Cubans dominate the Hispanic aspect of Miami's culture and 2) even if that were true that would suddenly allow you to equate the two for your argument.

Cubans make up a large part of the history here and have plenty of influence, but from my experiences living here I find it is but one part of a much larger Latin American influence.

Quote:
No, I find Spanish to be much more significant here in Miami. But you do realize there are immigrants from dozens of countries here who speak native Spanish?? Cuba is tiny in comparison to many of those other countries, especially from a financial standpoint.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I disagree both with the notion that 1) Cubans dominate the Hispanic aspect of Miami's culture and 2) even if that were true that would suddenly allow you to equate the two for your argument.

Cubans make up a large part of the history here and have plenty of influence, but from my experiences living here I find it is but one part of a much larger Latin American influence.

Aren't people of Cuban origin at least two thirds or more of the Hispanic population in Miami?

Old 08-09-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Cuba is tiny in comparison to many of those other countries, especially from a financial standpoint.
Tiny in terms of other Hispanic countries of the Americas, but not tiny in terms of their presence in Miami.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:49 PM

923 posts, read 666,252 times
Quote:

No, I find Spanish to be much more significant here in Miami. But you do realize there are immigrants from dozens of countries here who speak native Spanish?? Cuba is tiny in comparison to many of those other countries, especially from a financial standpoint.
I agree with this.Hatians are as much a part of the culture as Cubans are.Cubans are the largest but so many Brazilians,Colombians,Dominicans etc live in Miami.
Cubans SO however dominate politics and business after whites.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:18 PM

Haitians aren't hispanics though and neither are Brazilians imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City