Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chinese in Vancouver vs. Cubans in Miami: stronger influence?
Chinese in Vancouver 8 16.00%
Cubans in Miami 42 84.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 08:47 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times

Advertisements

I live in Doral, directly west of the city of Miami. Many people here consider it an extension of Miami because of its Hispanic influence (and in fact not too long ago it was...Doral only separated a couple decades ago and still uses "Miami" for its postal addresses). We have 75% native Spanish-speakers, and it certainly seems like an abundance of folks who speak no English at all. The Cuban population is 15%. So 60% of the city of Doral are native Spanish-speaking but not Cuban.

Again, as I said in the beginning of the thread, I lean towards Cuban influence in the city of Miami being greater than the Chinese influence in Vancouver city, but this ridiculousness of equating Spanish with Cuban needs to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 08:58 AM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I live in Doral, directly west of the city of Miami. Many people here consider it an extension of Miami because of its Hispanic influence (and in fact not too long ago it was...Doral only separated a couple decades ago and still uses "Miami" for its postal addresses). We have 75% native Spanish-speakers, and it certainly seems like an abundance of folks who speak no English at all. The Cuban population is 15%. So 60% of the city of Doral are native Spanish-speaking but not Cuban.

Again, as I said in the beginning of the thread, I lean towards Cuban influence in the city of Miami being greater than the Chinese influence in Vancouver city, but this ridiculousness of equating Spanish with Cuban needs to stop.
I'm not sure how many of those Spanish speakers would be there if not for the Cubans though.

Just like the Portuguese being prevalent in RI/SeMA is part of the reason there is a big Brazilian population there. Lusophone connections drove migration. Or why Montreal has a higher North African/French Carribean population than Anglo Canadian cities.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I'm not sure how many of those Spanish speakers would be there if not for the Cubans though.
This actually is a fair point that I have considered a few times during this thread. It is appropriate to attribute some of this Hispanic migration to the Cuban influence. But at the same time you must admit in such a case it is a secondary affect, and even then it is only a partial factor. The South American drug trade didnt explode in Miami due to the Cubans being here. Miami's location is of far greater significance in attracting the kind of high-end investment from Central and South America that we see from the Chinese in Vancouver. Why don't Mexicans move to this Spanish-speaking mecca then rather than all the border towns along the South? Due to logistics/location of course!

The simplistic view to me is:

Because of the Cubans, the average local has to speak Spanish in Miami (I still don't but I recognize it would be very helpful to do so and probably will try to learn in earnest in the next year or two) and because of the Chinese, the average local cannot afford to live in Vancouver. Lol.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:07 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Miami seems pan-Latino to me rather than just Cuban

Two of the most famous musicians out of Miami right now include Camila Cabello (Cuban/Mexican) and sadly, Lil Pump (Colombian)

Old 08-26-2018, 03:08 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
This actually is a fair point that I have considered a few times during this thread. It is appropriate to attribute some of this Hispanic migration to the Cuban influence. But at the same time you must admit in such a case it is a secondary affect, and even then it is only a partial factor. The South American drug trade didnt explode in Miami due to the Cubans being here. Miami's location is of far greater significance in attracting the kind of high-end investment from Central and South America that we see from the Chinese in Vancouver. Why don't Mexicans move to this Spanish-speaking mecca then rather than all the border towns along the South? Due to logistics/location of course!

The simplistic view to me is:

Because of the Cubans, the average local has to speak Spanish in Miami (I still don't but I recognize it would be very helpful to do so and probably will try to learn in earnest in the next year or two) and because of the Chinese, the average local cannot afford to live in Vancouver. Lol.
I thought Miami did have quite a few Mexicans. For Florida as a whole, Mexico is the largest source of immigration and not Cuba

Old 08-26-2018, 03:17 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,716,165 times
Vancouver has a strong UK/European influence as well as a fairly strong Japanese culture. Chinese is the most prevalent foreign culture in Vancouver but it’s not nearly as dominant as Cuban culture in Miami.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Been a while since I dated a girl in Vancouver, but I've lived in Miami. It's Miami and it's not even close. Miami is a cuban city culturally. I don't bother speaking English when I'm there. It's normal for people who grew up in Miami to speak Spanish all day long, everywhere, whether or not they have a cuban/etc. background - growing up in Miami you get naturally fluent in Spanish.

I don't think from the people I know in Vancouver that growing up there you naturally learn Chinese.
Growing up here, the Chinese kids had to go to Chinese school after regular school, mainly to learn to read and write in Chinese, since they learned to speak it at home.

Depending on where you live, you could easily live your life not speaking English..Richmond is a good example where some restaurants and stores don't even have English signs or menu's, which has caused some controversy.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-26-2018 at 03:39 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 04:27 PM

724 posts, read 561,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Miami seems pan-Latino to me rather than just Cuban

Two of the most famous musicians out of Miami right now include Camila Cabello (Cuban/Mexican) and sadly, Lil Pump (Colombian)
Yeah Miami and Florida in general is more pan Latino than anything else nowadays. Just as an example, not only does it have one of the largest Caribbean Latino populations (IE countries heavily influenced by the slave trade), it has the largest Nicaraguan population (IE: Central American, which is basically a cultural mix of Spanish and Native) largest Colombian/Venezuelan population (IE: Tri-racial South American countries that not only have a large Native and African element, but received a ton of migration from places like Italy and Lebanon), to having the largest Argentinian population (IE: Southern Cone countries mostly influenced by European migration, with a huge emphasis on Italian and Spanish migration).

Cuba was just the beginning of it, but it hasn't been primarily Cuban since the 1980s. For example, the crime wave of the 1980s was pretty much a battle of influence between Marielito Cuban criminals and Colombian drug cartels vying for a piece of the pie.

Ironically, you can detect who is from where just by listening to people using the word "vos" instead of "tu" when using the Spanish word for 'you", which is usually a dead giveaway they aren't Cuban or Mexican.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I thought Miami did have quite a few Mexicans. For Florida as a whole, Mexico is the largest source of immigration and not Cuba
Nah I don't see very many Mexicans. Of course they exist...my cousin-in-law's husband is Mexican, eg. According to the 2010 Census, city of Miami is 1.5% Mexican, compared to a 70% Latino population overall. So it's a small drop in the bucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Growing up here, the Chinese kids had to go to Chinese school after regular school, mainly to learn to read and write in Chinese, since they learned to speak it at home.
Haha I spent years "learning" cantonese from a white guy in Vancouver. Carlos Douh.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:25 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Nah I don't see very many Mexicans. Of course they exist...my cousin-in-law's husband is Mexican, eg. According to the 2010 Census, city of Miami is 1.5% Mexican, compared to a 70% Latino population overall. So it's a small drop in the bucket.

Haha I spent years "learning" cantonese from a white guy in Vancouver. Carlos Douh.
I did learn how to say a few phrases over the phone when a friends parent who didn't speak English would answer, just to let them know to tell my friend I called.

Would of been great to really learn it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City