Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most walkable vernacular west of the Mississippi? (aside from SF)
Los Angeles 19 20.00%
San Diego 7 7.37%
Oakland 1 1.05%
Portland 16 16.84%
Seattle 28 29.47%
Denver 2 2.11%
Kansas City 1 1.05%
Minneapolis 12 12.63%
Other (Please List) 9 9.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 07:16 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Is almost Seattle's? LA is way more dense. Those wide blvds that crisscross the basin of Los Angeles from downtown to the ocean are there, but in between those blvds are hundreds of thousands if not well over a million densely packed smaller streets of apts and houses on very small lots. Also along these wide blvds are thousands of businesses where everyone is within walking distance to these businesses. There is a reason why bus service from DTLA to the ocean is 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
Seattle’s building density is much better than LA’s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 09:24 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Minneapolis has snow on the ground about 4 months of the year.
But the sidewalks are quickly cleared. Snow is not an impediment for ~95% of the city's pedestrians.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:31 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Denver is built on a grid, and there are very few dead end streets in the city. Well, we did live on one that dead ended into a park. If it had gone on farther, it would have dead-ended into Sloan's Lake.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...!4d-104.990251

Why is it, when walkability is discussed, that people start bringing up transit? Walkability means ability to locomote on two feet.
Dead end streets don't matter if your walking on a huge highway. LA is also built on a grid but Ontario still isn't walkable.
Transit directly affects walkability. It goes hand in hand, just like a very urban ghetto isn't considered walkable because of other factors that go into the walk itself.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:53 PM

405 posts, read 394,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Commute walking share, 2016 Census ACS, core cities only:

San Francisco: 10.6%
Seattle: 10.1%

Minneapolis: 7.2%
Portland: 6.0%

Denver: 4.5%
Oakland: 4.0%
Los Angeles: 3.5%
San Diego: 3.1%
Kansas City: 2.1%

Portland surprises me, but maybe it shouldn't. Its density is more about bungalows vs. really dense districts (those are growing), and it doesn't have a huge downtown. Also bikes take an unusually large share.

Denver is more surprising. Its downtown is larger. It doesn't have really dense districts either (also growing quickly of course), but it has some denser areas near the big job core. Also its in-town transit isn't very good (vs. trains that focus on freeway corridors to the suburbs) so I'd expect walking to fill some of the void.

LA, SD, and KC get some leeway for the boundaries being drawn way out, but their numbers are still bad.
This and your follow up post about car commuting pretty much objectively settle the thread for me. Seattle is closest to an SF-style walking environment

Old 08-12-2018, 04:12 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Aside from San Francisco (the clear favorite), which city west of the Mississippi do you think has the most walkable vernacular?

What I mean is which has the urban landscape that is the most pedestrian-oriented and human-scaled. The question is somewhat subjective, but you can consider factors such as street width, setbacks, storefront accessibility, vibrancy of the streetscape, the walkability of various districts and corridors, etc.
Seattle

Old 08-12-2018, 07:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Dead end streets don't matter if your walking on a huge highway. LA is also built on a grid but Ontario still isn't walkable.
Transit directly affects walkability. It goes hand in hand, just like a very urban ghetto isn't considered walkable because of other factors that go into the walk itself.
I don't know what you mean "walking on a huge highway". I-25 is west of downtown, and there are several pedestrian bridges over it. There are also several places where the highway passes over the surface streets. I-70 goes east-west across the north part of the city; ditto. I shouldn't play into this "transit" issue, but Denver's transit is extensive. Don't know where you got the idea it's not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Bridge
RTD

Old 08-12-2018, 08:51 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
This and your follow up post about car commuting pretty much objectively settle the thread for me. Seattle is closest to an SF-style walking environment
Interesting. To my way of thinking, deciding which city has the best walking environment based on the number of people that walk would be like deciding which city had the best looking bridges and highways based on how many people drive on them.

I think that there may be other factors. Seattle and SF are both geometrically small and my understanding is that they both have poor road/freeway systems. That would lead to alternative commuting patterns. LA is a sunbelt city where many hold sunbelt stereotypes about public transportation and walking. But the public transportation is actually really good and the walk environment is ok.

I vote for Seattle btw.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:43 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
I voted for Portland because, compared to the other cities on this poll, the streets are narrower, the setbacks tend to be less, the storefronts very pedestrian-oriented. To me, it feels like the winner in terms of being human-scaled and pedestrian oriented.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:01 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Portland makes walking easy and pleasant, no question. Narrow streets make jaywalking easy.

Denver has a lot of rail but its transit is middling at best overall, particularly within the core city. Its commute numbers for in-city residents are pretty bad....6.8% in the 2016 ACS. Even Atlanta and LA are in the double figures.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:28 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
I don't know what you mean "walking on a huge highway". I-25 is west of downtown, and there are several pedestrian bridges over it. There are also several places where the highway passes over the surface streets. I-70 goes east-west across the north part of the city; ditto. I shouldn't play into this "transit" issue, but Denver's transit is extensive. Don't know where you got the idea it's not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Bridge
RTD
I find streets in downtown Denver to be very wide at times, and not the wide avenue type, just wide in general. The LoDo area is fine but I find much of downtown to be skyscrapers with not quite enough first floor retail. Broadway is sort of daunting to cross. It has a very new urban feel like Houston.
Denver's transit may be extensive but why its light rail lines are built along the the freeways and easy to obtain railroad right-of-way are beyond me. I live in relative walking distance away from a RTD stop but a walk down Federal isn't endearing and welcoming for choice riders like myself.
If they built the system for pedestrians and not park and riders, it would improve the walkability across the metro. Maybe it works well in coordination with the bus routes, but I choose not to ride buses.
I'm not trying to dog on Denver, it's just not an urban city in the scale of LA's metropolitan area or Seattle's urbanity relative to its land area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City