Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better urban environment
Brooklyn 42 57.53%
Los Angeles 30 41.10%
even match 1 1.37%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 06:09 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Lol that doesn’t surprise me that somebody from Forest Hills would say that!
yeah lol however to be honest I think most people from neighborhoods like that would find parts of Bushwick to be sketchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 12:44 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
I’ve always thought of DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, Fort Greene, Carroll Gardens, and that part of Park Slope around Barclays to kind of blend together into one “greater” Downtown Brooklyn area. At least in recent years from when I lived in DTBK and Carrol Gardens. I think Downtown Brooklyn is slowly becoming a monster and swallowing the surrounding areas. Really in a way I think that there’s this continuous growth stretching from a central point in Lower Manhattan across both rivers into Brooklyn and Jersey City, if that makes sense.

But to whoever said Williamsburg: no.
I agree with this. I think Navy Yard would be incorporated in the "greater" downtown BK soon as well. Once all those businesses open up there + they add transportation. I can also see in the future downtown BK extending all the way to Grand Army Plaza, but a lot of NIMBYs would have to be fought along the way.
Right now you can kinda see an actual 'dividing line' in development when looking at the the "least developed" south-western section of downtown BK:

@Michael Rios

Old 10-13-2018, 11:58 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Downtown L.A destroys Brooklyn

Old 10-14-2018, 12:11 AM

55 posts, read 42,274 times
I voted LA .

LA can compete with NYC so why make a thread with Brooklyn .??

These joke threads on this site are embarrassing and gotta say there are loads like this ..

Old 10-14-2018, 07:05 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Downtown Brooklyn still has the better urban environment at this point and does on most scales. There are different scales because downtown Brooklyn's more or less official neighborhood boundaries cover quite a bit smaller area in its definition than downtown Los Angeles does so there are a lot of different apples to apples comparisons that can be made.

On the tightest, smallest scale, my argument is for downtown Brooklyn because it's still more mixed-use and more fully occupied than the busiest parts of downtown Los Angeles and it has better mass transit options to boot. However, I think on this scale the argument is pretty close because the nicer parts of downtown Los Angeles that'd be equivalent are in some ways more interesting and fun and when we're restricting ourselves to a small core, the urban environment of that part of downtown Los Angeles has relatively few surface lots or buildings used for warehousing/storage.

On the largest scale for downtown Los Angeles where you'd have to take a greater downtown Brooklyn for comparison, the nicer and more packed parts of this greater downtown Brooklyn is much, much nicer and built a lot more densely and with a lot more street activity than that of downtown Los Angeles while the sort of not so nice parts (for greater downtown Brooklyn that'd be the housing projects while for downtown Los Angeles that'd be skid row and the warehousing and industrial part) are different sorts of not very good urban environment that are maybe equally bad.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:42 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I agree with this. I think Navy Yard would be incorporated in the "greater" downtown BK soon as well. Once all those businesses open up there + they add transportation. I can also see in the future downtown BK extending all the way to Grand Army Plaza, but a lot of NIMBYs would have to be fought along the way.
Right now you can kinda see an actual 'dividing line' in development when looking at the the "least developed" south-western section of downtown BK:

@Michael Rios
The southwestern/lower right of that photo are Cobble Hill and Boerum Hill which are rowhouse neighborhoods though Atlantic Avenue is pretty dense. Off-camera and to the southeast/pass the lower left corner of that photo is where there's a lot more high-rise construction currently and slated.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:51 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Now onto LA: I want to hear more on DTLA. I just came from another thread talking about DTLA. I have been to DTLA, but it must’ve been about 6-7 years ago, and I only went to Staples Center and Little Tokyo. I’ve heard a lot of LA transplants here in NY talk about the growing arts scene there. I’d also love to see pictures if anyone has any to share.
I think I remember there being a poster from LA on here that was into photography and often posted their work, but I can’t remember their username.
I live in downtown LA but not in the Arts District. Still my impression is that the art scene downtown is shrinking and maybe rapidly. Twenty years ago I think that the majority of people living in the Arts District were artists. It was cheap and there were lots of lofts and studios. Now it’s expensive and is the most gentrified area downtown. Artists are still there but a much smaller percentage. Most of the artists have moved to cheaper areas like westlake and Inglewood. Maybe echo park and highland park but those are expensive now too.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:50 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,666 times
I'm surprised how Downtown BK is beating out DTLA considering the fact Brooklyn is a boro of greater NYC. LA is the only city I know of that has over a millon people in its where city limits where the Downtown section isn't the most important part of the city. As a kid growing up in NYC I never'd thought of Downtown Brooklyn as ghetto per se but just more rough around the edges. I didn't relize FT Greene was considered dangerous being that it was considered the gateway to DT Brooklyn I just thought it as the more upscale part of Brooklyn with PJ's (simlar to where I grew up in LIC Queens). Downtown Brooklyn in a nutshell to me is where hood Brooklyn meets yuppie Brooklyn.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:06 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't consider Park Slope as part of downtown or even an extended downtown except for possibly the most northern little tip of Park Slope around Barclays Center. After that, the character of the neighborhood greatly changes. I think a fair comparison for the large expanse that is downtown Los Angeles to downtown Brooklyn would be a greater downtown Brooklyn that encompasses a pretty contiguous part that hosts a lot of municipal institutions, cultural institutions, tourist attractions and jobs which would be downtown Brooklyn proper south to Atlantic Avenue, and then including a neighboring block or two of Fort Greene/Prospect Heights/Park Slope around BAM/Barclays Center/Atlantic Terminal, a neighboring block or so of Brooklyn Heights, all of DUMBO, and in the future, Vinegar Hill and the Navy Yard.
Park Slope is kinda tricky because the neighborhood starts of picking up from Flatbush ave south of Atlantic Ave up until grand army plaza heading into prospect park. Once Prospect park starts Flatbush av goes east into Flatbush while park slope contunies into south slope. The street grid changes dramatically change south of grand army Plaza east of the park uses the number E and W while west of the park uses a strict number grid all the way till bay ridge. I think Prospect pk North is a good ending point of Downtown Brooklyn because of how segregated Brooklyn gets south of Eastern pkwy.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:11 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,873,273 times
Even I don't get it...It's like some people just want to degrade L.A's Status or to make people from L.A feel inferior by comparing L.A with Brooklyn...Just imagine if someone created a thread about Hollywood versus NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derventio View Post
I voted LA .

LA can compete with NYC so why make a thread with Brooklyn .??

These joke threads on this site are embarrassing and gotta say there are loads like this ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City