Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More active core
DC 45 46.39%
Bos 44 45.36%
equal 8 8.25%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 08:08 AM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Hmm..for DC, why did you settle on Thomas Cir.? I would say, a better bet would be either Farragut or McPherson sqs. or even Gallery Place/Chinatown. In any case, between Bos and DC, it's a tough to say. They are pretty evenly matched to an extent. Sometimes one feels larger than the other and vice versa.
Honestly Copley seems like an odd Choice I would have said Downtown Crossing., much more central.

However, Boston has a much more intense urban core, although D.C.,s sprawls more. I can't really think of anything in Boston that is more than two miles from Colpey that is some sort of major attraction. Like for example Nationals park is beyond the two mile radius of Logan Circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 08:32 AM

31,860 posts, read 34,362,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
However, Boston has a much more intense urban core, although D.C.,s sprawls more.
I would have agreed with this 8-10 years ago but I don't agree with it now. I agree with other posters that they're about even at this point.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:37 AM

11,044 posts, read 12,306,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Honestly Copley seems like an odd Choice I would have said Downtown Crossing., much more central.

However, Boston has a much more intense urban core, although D.C.,s sprawls more. I can't really think of anything in Boston that is more than two miles from Colpey that is some sort of major attraction. Like for example Nationals park is beyond the two mile radius of Logan Circle.
Harvard Square, JFK Library, Sam Adams Brewery, Franklin Park Zoo.

DC and Boston are about equal in terms of central vibrancy I think.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:55 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,888,553 times
DC, and it isn’t particularly close. If you extend it out to include all of the real Cora neighborhoods, it starts to become laughable. DC just has a wider variety of vibrant, interesting neighborhoods. Even if you include the various squares in Cambridge and Somerville, it doesn’t add up to what DC offers.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:58 AM

6,770 posts, read 5,904,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
DC, and it isn’t particularly close. If you extend it out to include all of the real Cora neighborhoods, it starts to become laughable. DC just has a wider variety of vibrant, interesting neighborhoods. Even if you include the various squares in Cambridge and Somerville, it doesn’t add up to what DC offers.
What neighborhoods in particular? I’ve been to DC a couple of times; if there are neighborhoods that make Cambridge and Somerville seem boring, then apparently I wasn’t visiting the right parts!

Old 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM

4,997 posts, read 3,834,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Don't agree here. If we're talking 2 miles extending from the core, I'd go Boston. I think the argument could be made that DC is more vibrant throughout. Or at least they are equals.

Harvard Sq., Central Sq, Kenmore Sq, Kendall Sq., Back Bay, South End, Beacon Hill, Seaport****, Fenway probably all fall into discussion. And if this extends to Somerville, I'm not sure how anyone could draw that conclusion. Davis Square is equally as packed as an Adams Morgan. And i'm really not prepared to say that Union Square is not unique.. It keeps getting cooler, and cooler, and has developed into a unique mix of old and new. Certainly a far cry from the new Assembly Square in Somerville.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Don't agree here. If we're talking 2 miles extending from the core, I'd go Boston. I think the argument could be made that DC is more vibrant throughout. Or at least they are equals.

Harvard Sq., Central Sq, Kenmore Sq, Kendall Sq., Back Bay, South End, Beacon Hill, Seaport****, Fenway probably all fall into discussion. And if this extends to Somerville, I'm not sure how anyone could draw that conclusion. Davis Square is equally as packed as an Adams Morgan. And i'm really not prepared to say that Union Square is not unique.. It keeps getting cooler, and cooler, and has developed into a unique mix of old and new. Certainly a far cry from the new Assembly Square in Somerville.
Adams-Morgan is sort of a relic of the past now. The epicenter of social activity in DC has been migrating to the east and the south. It's more U Street-Logan Circle-Shaw centric today rather than Georgetown-Dupont-Adams Morgan centric the way it was in the late 90s and early 00s. Adams-Morgan now seems surprisingly sedate on weekend nights. There's still stuff going on there but the cool kids have moved on to the new frontier.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:23 AM

13,674 posts, read 15,574,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

It's hard to compare because D.C.'s core is larger. Using a 2-mile radius is going to cut out neighborhoods that are a part of the core. Capital Riverfront/Navy Yard/Wharf/Buzzard Point to the south is more than 2-miles from Columbia Heights/Petworth/Mt. Pleasant to the north. Georgetown/Burleith to the west is more than 2-miles from Hilleast to the east. D.C.'s core is larger so I don't know how you choose one neighborhood over another when they are both still apart of the core. The difficulty is choosing a central point. I wonder why Thomas Circle was chosen?

Old 08-16-2018, 09:35 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,888,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
It's hard to compare because D.C.'s core is larger. Using a 2-mile radius is going to cut out neighborhoods that are a part of the core. Capital Riverfront/Navy Yard/Wharf/Buzzard Point to the south is more than 2-miles from Columbia Heights/Petworth/Mt. Pleasant to the north. Georgetown/Burleith to the west is more than 2-miles from Hilleast to the east. D.C.'s core is larger so I don't know how you choose one neighborhood over another when they are both still apart of the core. The difficulty is choosing a central point. I wonder why Thomas Circle was chosen?
THIS👆🏾

I just don’t think Harvard Square, Davis Square or Central Square are all that interesting. They’re great, vibrant walkable neighborhoods, and terrific places to live, but I really had a reason to visit them when I lived in Boston. There are also decent sized pockets of boring nothingness between these neighborhoods. DC has a larger contiguous core of vibrancy.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
What neighborhoods in particular? I’ve been to DC a couple of times; if there are neighborhoods that make Cambridge and Somerville seem boring, then apparently I wasn’t visiting the right parts!
I get that a lot of the cooler restaurants and other destinations are now popping up in Cambridge, but I've never really been a big fan of the city and that hasn't changed. I would never say Cambridge is boring; IMO it's about on par with Eastern Market/Capitol Hill. They are charming areas with restaurants and some nightlife but nobody is going to describe them as being "lit." When I was in college, that would probably apply to the area around Tremont/Theatre District, though things may have changed by now. In DC, the equivalent would be U Street/14 Street, which could be accurately described as "lit. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City