Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More active core
DC 45 46.39%
Bos 44 45.36%
equal 8 8.25%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:47 AM

5,017 posts, read 3,911,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
According to this source there were 152,000 students in the city. If they really are included in the census, then the population of Boston without them would be 521,184 (about a %23 decrease if my math is correct).

I wonder how drastically the city’s demographics would change if you didn’t count college students. Regardless, maybe this is a subject for another thread.
Which bring us to another point. Do you realize how much this would have an affect on income levels? Educational attainment levels? Average age?

But, again, read my last post. I would bet my mortgage that very, very few undergrads (if any) use dorms and short term apartments as permanent residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 10:05 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Not to go too far down this rabbit hole, but there is should and do. If college students put their permanent residence as their home (and not dorm/9 month rental), they are not counted in the population census. For me, I never once put my dorm address down as my permanent residence. Nor did I put it down when i lived off campus.. License changes, bank information changes, etc. Too hard. Too much of a headache.

But, now that I understand these guidelines, there looks to be a significant loop hole for out of state residence claiming in state residency. I'll keep this in mind when my kid wants to go party at Michigan State..

This

Last edited by Ne999; 08-17-2018 at 10:15 AM..

Old 08-17-2018, 10:14 AM

741 posts, read 1,112,072 times
Quote:
Do you know if that data includes the daytime population increase in Cambridge?
I'm not sure whether Cambridge is included or not.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
DC has the second highest increase (72%) in daytime population due to commuters/workers (appears not to include tourists and other visitors) after NYC. Boston is not second or third or fourth as it sees a 41% change in the daytime population due to commuters/workers (appears not to include tourists and other visitors).

See article:
https://www.thoughtco.com/cities-see...swings-3320981
Yea DC was bringing in half a million people increase daily back in 2010 so that was already about 1.1 million day time population. Now the city is at 700k and I'm certain the half a million commuting in numbers have gone up. I'd suspect a daytime population of 1.2 or 1.3 million, not including Arlington and Alexandria (which see their own daytime pops increase), that whole core is probably inching closer to 2 million day time population in 100 sq mi. This I would LOVE to see data on.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:26 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
But, again, read my last post. I would bet my mortgage that very, very few undergrads (if any) use dorms and short term apartments as permanent residence.
I mean maybe it’s a matter of the universities themselves reporting enrollment to the census? Which would make me wonder: are foreign/international students counted toward Boston’s population?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
I'm not sure whether Cambridge is included or not.
Well for what it’s worth, I think that Cambridge has enough major employers that it may make a difference.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:53 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Students are included in the Census' calculation. The question the Census asks is how many people were residing at a residence on April 1, XXXX. Since nearly all college students are still in school in April, I assume they are included in the official count.
No they are not if they live on Campus.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:57 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Not to go too far down this rabbit hole, but there is should and do. If college students put their permanent residence as their home (and not dorm/9 month rental), they are not counted in the population census. For me, I never once put my dorm address down as my permanent residence. Nor did I put it down when i lived off campus.. License changes, bank information changes, etc. Too hard. Too much of a headache.

But, now that I understand these guidelines, there looks to be a significant loop hole for out of state residence claiming in state residency. I'll keep this in mind when my kid wants to go party at Michigan State..
Boston only had 70000 residents from 20-24 so there is no way College students are included.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:57 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
I mean maybe it’s a matter of the universities themselves reporting enrollment to the census? Which would make me wonder: are foreign/international students counted toward Boston’s population?

Well for what it’s worth, I think that Cambridge has enough major employers that it may make a difference.
By the way, census estimates are based largely on changes to institutional populations; dorms, prisons, nursing homes, military barracks, as well as sales of new construction homes. They are wildly in accurate, yet people on this site lose their minds every time estimates come out.

Last edited by gladhands; 08-17-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 08-17-2018, 11:00 AM

Side note- I spent about 10 days in DC just a few weeks ago on work. Stayed at the Marriott Wardman Park.

I absolutely love DC, and to be certain, I like it more than I did in prior trips. It's definitely one of my favorites in North America, right alongside Chicago, NYC, Toronto, SF, and Boston. The core felt far larger than it did at any other point in the past.. Good food traffic, nothing was overly crowded at night but there was a consistent buzz throughout. That, and the fact that DC is home to some of the nicest neighborhoods and subsequent side streets in any major city I've been in.

Really impressed.. Came back to Boston and haven't stop talking about the trip. I will say, I have to explore the food and local beer scene a bit more as I wasn't overly impressed. It's hard to grasp a cities culinary/local drink experience in 10 days, but I do feel like the standouts give you glimpses early and often.. Places like NYC, Chicago, New Orleans. TBD on that one.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yea DC was bringing in half a million people increase daily back in 2010 so that was already about 1.1 million day time population. Now the city is at 700k and I'm certain the half a million commuting in numbers have gone up. I'd suspect a daytime population of 1.2 or 1.3 million, not including Arlington and Alexandria (which see their own daytime pops increase), that whole core is probably inching closer to 2 million day time population in 100 sq mi. This I would LOVE to see data on.
Boston is only 48 sq. miles of land. Using 100 sq miles, you're inching out towards 95. That number in Boston jumps, conservatively, well above 2 million. Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, Waltham, Watertown, Quincy..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City