Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 04:18 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times

Advertisements

How did you determine that I have more zeal for Greenville than anybody else like you, for example?

I show interest in my local community and I say positive things about Greenville?

I have said positive things about a lot of cities on here, especially Roanoke, and I don't bash other cities.

If I disagree with some of the disgruntled people in the Greenville forum, that doesn't make me a zealot about Greenville.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-28-2018 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 05:54 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I disagree that Knoxville has the better economy. In the last year (Oct '17-Oct '18) the Tennessee Department of Labor stats show that Chattanooga added 4,070 jobs (1.6% growth) while the Knoxville MSA lost 1,100 jobs (0.3% loss). Other than U.T. sports, there's not much you can do in Knoxville that you can't also do in Chattanooga, and in fact Chattanooga does have a few things that Knoxville doesn't have such as an aquarium, a fabulous children's museum, minor league baseball, and minor league soccer. Knoxville's minor league team is in Sevierville which isn't even in Knoxville's MSA, and the nearest aquarium is an hour away in Gatlinburg. Knoxville doesn't have a children's museum nor does it have minor league soccer. And I'm curious what's better about shopping in Knoxville? I spent 12 years in Knoxville and still have a home there, but I would much rather live in Chattanooga.
I think you misread what I stated. I stated Knoxville has the stronger economy. This is due to it being less tourism based, not better economy. It has more research and government jobs with UT and Oakridge being there. Shoppingwise, Chattanooga has less options and no answer for Turkey Creek or nice open air facilities. West Town Mall also has an Apple Store, Cheesecake Factory with more coming soon. There is also no Pigeon Forge or Tanger Outlets like Knoxville has in its CSA (and I am aware of Calhoun). I like both cities, but I feel like Knoxville is better all around and underrated in some aspects.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:39 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Scott, I strongly suggest you visit both. You may have preferences you don't even think about: Knoxville has the "urban canyon" of Gay St vs. the broad boulevards in Chattanooga. Smaller mountains up close vs larger mountains in the distance. It could be any one of a number of things that contribute to a city's "vibe". A non physical thing is that Chattanooga has a strong gung-ho booster mentality, Knoxville is more laid back and comfortable in its own skin - the bumper sticker is Keep Knoxville Scruffy.

What I like about Knoxville is the older historic buildings downtown and the density of the commercial offerings. Love Market square. I love the library and the whole library system. I like the wide variety of historic neighborhoods and that most of them are convenient to downtown. I like Ijams nature center and the trail system known as the Urban wilderness. I very much like the long range vistas of the Smokies on a clear day, but then again I wish the Smokies were 30 minutes closer.

Last edited by creeksitter; 12-29-2018 at 06:50 AM..

Old 12-29-2018, 06:50 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Quote:
Greenville websites boast more than 120 downtown restaurants. Not sure of the exact count, but there are tons of them with changes all the time.
distortedlogic, do you know what are the boundaries that contain the 120 restaurants in Greenville? I just didn't see that many within my definition of the CBD, though admittedly my visit was 2 years ago. What are your favorite restaurants?

The numbers for Knoxville is just the CBD, a little over a square mile bordered by the river, Henley street, the RR tracks and James White parkway. It doesn't include the University area, "downtown north" or anything across the river.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:10 AM

Here's a little writeup I made about Roanoke on another thread:

Roanoke is a great town. It has some great hiking and vistas closer to town, including a mountain overlook near downtown with a zoo.

Virginia's Triple Crown of McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, and Dragon’s Tooth are 30 minutes or less from the mall in Roanoke.

Roanoke is within 1 hour of the Natural Bridge State Park in Virginia.

You would also be closer to the ski resorts in WV which are the best ones on the east coast.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:19 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Here's a little writeup I made about Roanoke on another thread:

Roanoke is a great town. It has some great hiking and vistas closer to town, including a mountain overlook near downtown with a zoo.

Virginia's Triple Crown of McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, and Dragon’s Tooth are 30 minutes or less from the mall in Roanoke.

Roanoke is within 1 hour of the Natural Bridge State Park in Virginia.

You would also be closer to the ski resorts in WV which are the best ones on the east coast.
What does that have to do with this thread? The OP isn't looking at Roanoke as an option.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:21 AM

You might want to reread the thread...he specifically mentioned he was looking at Roanoke too.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:28 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
You might want to reread the thread...he specifically mentioned he was looking at Roanoke too.
You are correct; he just didn't put it in the thread title.

With that in mind, I think he should probably consider Charleston WV as well.

http://charlestonareaalliance.org/ne...elerate-growth

https://wchsnetwork.com/annual-thriv...al-businesses/

Old 12-29-2018, 01:34 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You are correct; he just didn't put it in the thread title.

With that in mind, I think he should probably consider Charleston WV as well.

Small Business Incubator Helps Entrepreneurs Accelerate Growth - Charleston Area Alliance, WV

https://wchsnetwork.com/annual-thriv...al-businesses/
Excellent post!

Old 12-30-2018, 09:00 PM

513 posts, read 576,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
distortedlogic, do you know what are the boundaries that contain the 120 restaurants in Greenville? I just didn't see that many within my definition of the CBD, though admittedly my visit was 2 years ago. What are your favorite restaurants?

The numbers for Knoxville is just the CBD, a little over a square mile bordered by the river, Henley street, the RR tracks and James White parkway. It doesn't include the University area, "downtown north" or anything across the river.
I am honestly not sure about that, though I think that includes everything that is generally considered downtown. Keep in mind that Greenville's downtown is very small in area compared to many peers. For example, downtown Columbia is much larger in area and accomodates state grounds and the USC campus. My guess is (though not very familiar with Kville) that Downtown Knoxille would be closer in size to Columbia's, especially given there is a major university located there. With that being the case, there is probably a better defined parameter for different nodes of DT, including what is considered it's CBD. Greenville has such designations, but they are really blended for the most part, due to their close proximity. I think Gville's CBD is usually designated as the blocks from where the Landmark building is to the Peace Center (someone correct me if that is not accurate). The West End would be from the Peace Center to the baseball stadium, the North End would be from Landmark to Stone Ave, and Heritage Green would be the area West of North Main.

Here is the quote from a city website https://www.greenvillesc.gov/424/Explore-Downtown

Shopping and Dining
Downtown is also a shopper’s paradise, with 100 retailers, including a variety of art galleries and specialty stores. You’ll also find everything from local designer boutiques to national favorites such as Anthropologie, Orvis and Brooks Brothers.

With more than 120 independent restaurants in a 10-block stretch, downtown’s lively dining scene has sparked Greenville’s emerging reputation as a foodie’s paradise. Most are locally owned one-of-a-kind eateries, with cuisine for every taste and price range.

I'm not precisely sure which ten block stretch they are referencing, but I would guess the heart of Main St, and that would include the CBD, and West End , but I don't know if they are including places blocks off of Main St, or North End or what. Here is a link to a map that might help some.

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/Documen...Map-PDF?bidId=

Just to give some scale, from NMain/ Stone to S Main/Pendleton is 2 miles walking or driving, but the stretch most see is probably about 1.5 miles or less, and includes the blocks between Academy (on the West) and Church (on the East). That sounds about the same size as Kville's CBD.

As for my favorite restaurants; I'm probably not the best person to ask. I don't get DT as much as I used to and there are so many new ones it's hard to keep up. Plus, I don't do a lot of fine dining; the more expensive = the smaller the portions ! Having said that, Greenville is really becoming known as a foodie destination. You can get just about anything; Italian, Mexican, German, Asian, Indian, Thai, Seafood, Deli, Pizzaria, Dinner and Entertainment, even some chain; all downtown. There are restuarants and eateries tucked everywhere, with local and chain. On the Rooftop, at the top of the Embassy Suites is very good, there's also a great Mexican restaurant just a few steps up Falls Park Drive from the park itself. Spill the Beans and Coffee Underground are nice for hot drinks. Many people ove the Soby restaurants, Lazy Goat, and Nantuckett Seafood Grill. Maybe others who do more dining than me can recommend some great ones, but there's a ton. Not to mention, there will be a lot more on the way as some of the current developments get completed along with Unity Park and the new County Square development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City