Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 09:01 AM

6,333 posts, read 11,491,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
With more than 120 independent restaurants in a 10-block stretch, downtown’s lively dining scene has sparked Greenville’s emerging reputation as a foodie’s paradise.
This is a bit of a stretch*. I counted about 50 restaurants on or near Main street and another 10 - 15 in the area. Still it is very impressive and about 2-3 times what I saw during my visit. I ate at Pomegranite which has large portions and Snack Works cantina for breakfast which was very reasonable. I hope you get out more and enjoy what Greenville has to offer.

* Do the math - 120 restaurants in 10 blocks would be 6 on each side of every single block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 01:31 PM

513 posts, read 570,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
This is a bit of a stretch*. I counted about 50 restaurants on or near Main street and another 10 - 15 in the area. Still it is very impressive and about 2-3 times what I saw during my visit. I ate at Pomegranite which has large portions and Snack Works cantina for breakfast which was very reasonable. I hope you get out more and enjoy what Greenville has to offer.

* Do the math - 120 restaurants in 10 blocks would be 6 on each side of every single block.
Perhaps they are talking about the blocks in a 3D sense, not just the sides that face main. There are lots of restaurants on the feeder streets within a block of main. There are also restaurants in hotels and mixed use buildings, and tucked away places. It could be a stretch, I've never tried to count, but the city and many websites have been touting 100+ for years. With all the new ones 120 would not surprise me much. And, as in my previous post, my guess is this includes West End, River Walk, etc.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:12 PM

I forgot to mention I did a virtual tour this morning via Google maps. The 50+- included the nearby side streets off Main. A large number were names I didn't recognize from my visit 2 years ago or from a virtual tour about a year ago.

Quote:
but the city and many websites have been touting 100+ for years.
I'm going to be charitable and assume they were including Augusta St and other close - in eateries and not being deceptive at the time. Could be like that telephone game where things get repeated and end up quite different. Because I pretty much agree with their boundaries of the CBD. I would have put the eastern boundary at church street but even expanding as they did google only picks up 3-4 restaurants in the commercial buildings east of Church.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:28 PM

For the purposes of comparing the 3 cities it looks like Greenville is the best for a foodie, besides the local offerings Gville is very close to Asheville and an easy weekend trip to Charleston.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:28 PM

513 posts, read 570,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I forgot to mention I did a virtual tour this morning via Google maps. The 50+- included the nearby side streets off Main. A large number were names I didn't recognize from my visit 2 years ago or from a virtual tour about a year ago.

I'm going to be charitable and assume they were including Augusta St and other close - in eateries and not being deceptive at the time. Could be like that telephone game where things get repeated and end up quite different. Because I pretty much agree with their boundaries of the CBD. I would have put the eastern boundary at church street but even expanding as they did google only picks up 3-4 restaurants in the commercial buildings east of Church.
You could be right. I tried to find an actual listing of all DT restaurants somewhere but this is the best I could do.

https://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/fo...area/downtown/

This actually lists 162 downtown places, but a number of these are for non-restaurant places that are centered on food; such as catering and juice bars, etc (so I guess it may also depend on what one considers a "restaurant"). However, just a glance and it looks like there could easily be well over 100 bona fide restaurants. A few are further out from the CBD/West End, but certainly most are in that area. Who knows?

Old 12-31-2018, 11:05 PM

9,604 posts, read 9,209,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
You could be right. I tried to find an actual listing of all DT restaurants somewhere but this is the best I could do.

https://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/fo...area/downtown/

This actually lists 162 downtown places, but a number of these are for non-restaurant places that are centered on food; such as catering and juice bars, etc (so I guess it may also depend on what one considers a "restaurant"). However, just a glance and it looks like there could easily be well over 100 bona fide restaurants. A few are further out from the CBD/West End, but certainly most are in that area. Who knows?
That's really great. Greenville has a burgeoning food scene. I can't wait to try some of the new restaurants on my next visit.

https://greenvillejournal.com/2018/1...or-greenville/

https://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...ca/1223826002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City