Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 03:29 AM

4 posts, read 5,586 times

Advertisements

I had originally been planning to drive from Kentucky to California to live with my boyfriend while he finishes his semester of college.

We’ve decided to instead wait until he finishes and relocate on my side of the country, in either Raleigh, NC, or Alexandria, VA. In Alexandria, the job is offering over 20 an hour, Raleigh, the offer is 13.

Both of us love Raleigh, it’s only about an hour away from where he was stationed before, and we got to visit and it seemed like such a nice town. We’ve never been to Alexandria, but it does seem a bit more expensive, but not too far off from NC. With Alexandria, he may be working in DC, which could cause issues (too much traffic). We understand traffic is everywhere but we’re unsure of just how bad it is there. He’s open to the idea of driving 45 minutes to work (living further out than just Alexandria, but I disagree.) He has job offers in both places, both of these jobs being open to the idea of him moving in December, once the semester finishes. My job has agreed to let me transfer, with it being a large company. We don’t want to pay 2 grand for a studio, but we understand anywhere near those places will be expensive.

Locals, and even those who have visited, what do you think of these places (even if you can’t compare them.) I would greatly appreciate any input on this, as we are having trouble deciding, even if it isn’t until December. (ANY advice, what the people are like, traffic, weather, cost of living.) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 09:40 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
They are completely different. Raleigh is a mid-size southern city. Less traffic, less expensive, less exciting. Alexandria is footsteps from Washington, DC, a huge metro, with all that goes along with being a major city and the nation's capital. The traffic is horrible with a capital H and it is very expensive place to live. However, it is also very exciting and young with tons to do. And depending on the job, DC can be great for ones career.

It really depends what you want. If you want an easy place to live in with enough to do to keep you busy that is pretty affordable, then go to Raleigh.

If you want an exciting, world-class city and are okay having to deal with the negatives that go along with that lifestyle such as bad traffic (can't underestimate this) and high cost, then go with DC/Alexandria. It's a fun, unique place to live, especially when you are young.

I have lived very close to both places (DC area for 22 years and Chapel Hill, near Raleigh for 6 years now). They are quite different. Some people would hate one and like the other and vice versa. Others might like DC for one stage of their life and Raleigh for another. You should really visit both and think about what your priorities are.

ETA: DC is much more uptight, fast-paced, and work-oriented. Lots of type A people around. Ones career is often ones identity and when meeting someone for the first time, people will ask what you do for a living as the first question. Raleigh is more relaxed, slower paced, and I never get asked what I do for a living. It's more balanced, but again not as exciting or unique.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:06 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
NOVA and the Research Triangle have actually been compared a lot on here. They do have some similarities but also some pretty big differences. Raleigh is more affordable and more laid back (which I prefer). Although it's going through a boom which won't end anytime soon. This may frustrate some people. Alexandria is a really nice area, near the water good access to DT Washington. However it is expensive, crowded, and Alexandria city schools aren't the best tbh. I would suggest looking at Springfield and Burke in Fairfax County. If I where you I'd lean towards Raleigh for affordability, but some people really want to live in the DMV.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:19 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
They are completely different. Raleigh is a mid-size southern city. Less traffic, less expensive, less exciting. Alexandria is footsteps from Washington, DC, a huge metro, with all that goes along with being a major city and the nation's capital. The traffic is horrible with a capital H and it is very expensive place to live. However, it is also very exciting and young with tons to do. And depending on the job, DC can be great for ones career.

It really depends what you want. If you want an easy place to live in with enough to do to keep you busy that is pretty affordable, then go to Raleigh.

If you want an exciting, world-class city and are okay having to deal with the negatives that go along with that lifestyle such as bad traffic (can't underestimate this) and high cost, then go with DC/Alexandria. It's a fun, unique place to live, especially when you are young.

I have lived very close to both places (DC area for 22 years and Chapel Hill, near Raleigh for 6 years now). They are quite different. Some people would hate one and like the other and vice versa. Others might like DC for one stage of their life and Raleigh for another. You should really visit both and think about what your priorities are.

ETA: DC is much more uptight, fast-paced, and work-oriented. Lots of type A people around. Ones career is often ones identity and when meeting someone for the first time, people will ask what you do for a living as the first question. Raleigh is more relaxed, slower paced, and I never get asked what I do for a living. It's more balanced, but again not as exciting or unique.
Can't argue with any of this. IF DC, be ready for crazy traffic and expenses.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:21 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
NOVA and the Research Triangle have actually been compared a lot on here. They do have some similarities but also some pretty big differences. Raleigh is more affordable and more laid back (which I prefer). Although it's going through a boom which won't end anytime soon. This may frustrate some people. Alexandria is a really nice area, near the water good access to DT Washington. However it is expensive, crowded, and Alexandria city schools aren't the best tbh. I would suggest looking at Springfield and Burke in Fairfax County. If I where you I'd lean towards Raleigh for affordability, but some people really want to live in the DMV.
I agree with this. Very good synopsis.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:28 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,802 times
They're very different so it depends on what you like and what you're looking for but I'd go with Alexandria.

Quote:

Pretty spot on. It all depends on your personality and what you're looking for.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:19 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:

I have no use for DC other than to visit/tour. This is spot on, the culture is very pretentious with wannabe important people based on titles who are usually struggling/broke...but you gotta look and act the part. It is DC after all, lots of important people there, just not 98% of them.

I wouldn't worry about the traffic and focus on the salary. If the combined income is somewhere around 100K, maybe Alexandria, otherwise, move to Raleigh and save your money....visit DC.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:42 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Some gross over exaggerations going on here, but I'll leave it at this one.

"Alexandria" is not this grossly over crowded place, at all. "Alexandria" itself is pretty quaint and a fairly pleasant place to live. Is rush hour traffic bad yes, but outside of that its normal, and Alexandria alone is very desirable. I spent time there the other week and the crowds were nice, and pleasant, and fun loving groups of diverse people, NONE I encountered were pretentious. This picture being painted on here is highly exaggeratory, as it's easy to spread anything you want across the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City