Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most urban?
Dallas 62 51.24%
Atlanta 55 45.45%
Charlotte 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 06:45 AM

923 posts, read 655,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I thought you were referring to the below list.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc...bDOvL/amp.html

But regardless, your list is still based on the same criteria that I mentioned.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rea...structure.amp/

"
  • Percentage of roads in good or fair condition
  • Percentage of bridges that are structurally deficient...
  • ...Per capita government spending on drinking-water systems, electrical grids, highways, public transit, and sewage systems
"
This was my point.All those things are the most important.My response was about how is Dallas has more public investment.Private would make sense as its economy is among the best in the U.S.
Texas in general has horrible roads

Yes Atlanta has worse traffic but its not as polluted as Dallas but probably more than Charlotte

Why is Charlotte even in a discussion about urban?Dallas and Atlanta may not be as urban as many cities in the Northeast ,but they are well above Charlotte.
You can actually walk more than 10 blocks in a relatively dense populated areas in Atlanta and Dallas.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:29 AM

355 posts, read 464,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
So whats the new total?You know how these stats work.Atlanta has not bee standing still either.In Fact downtown Atlanta is reaching 500 million in development plans at the moment.
The redevelopment of Summerhill and new additions to Castlberry Hill are big projects.
It sounds like a whole lot of excuses.The areas are defined as they are.
It's already pointed out that the Dallas is less than 500 per sq mi.more dense which is ridiculous to act as though thats some huge advantage.
The areas are built different so we can both make accept ions for both areas
From what I've read many of those areas you mentioned are only partially in Dallas Downtown.

Either way you look at it is what it is.Most people will agree Atlanta's core is noticeably more urban than Dallas core.PERIOD.
There is more vibrancy in the day and night in its core.Especially with Atlanta conventions,attractions and one of the largest hotel districts in the country.

I can definitely see that Atlanta is a bit denser than Dallas. Atlanta is an older city, so it naturally inherits a tighter street grid. I was in Atlanta not too long ago and really appreciated the juxtaposition of traditional and modern architecture. Many parts of it also reminded me of Dallas.

To Dallas' defense, the city has the potential to build itself due to the swaths of vacant land. Time, the local government, and the economy will truly dictate the type of development that'll take shape.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
This was my point.All those things are the most important.My response was about how is Dallas has more public investment.Private would make sense as its economy is among the best in the U.S.

Yes Atlanta has worse traffic but its not as polluted as Dallas but probably more than Charlotte

Why is Charlotte even in a discussion about urban?Dallas and Atlanta may not be as urban as many cities in the Northeast ,but they are well above Charlotte.
You can actually walk more than 10 blocks in a relatively dense populated areas in Atlanta and Dallas.
I meant how Dallas has less public investment but more private investment

Old 09-06-2018, 09:08 AM

222 posts, read 277,925 times
Lol who cares about the "core". Atlanta feels like a country town compared to Dallas

Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 AM

7 posts, read 6,357 times
Quote:

Texas in general has great roads!!

Old 09-06-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontdesk1 View Post
Texas in general has great roads!!

Not the worst but worst than GA which has been known to have some of the best in the U.S.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:29 PM

59 posts, read 67,681 times
Having driven in both Dallas & Atlanta, Dallas has much better roads.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:42 PM

23,299 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAX_ View Post
Lol who cares about the "core". Atlanta feels like a country town compared to Dallas
Thanks for the insightful comment. You can return to your comic book now.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:43 PM

23,299 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugo1978 View Post
Having driven in both Dallas & Atlanta, Dallas has much better roads.
Probably to facilitate a quick exit.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:18 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAX_ View Post
People who care about urbanity care about the core because that is where cities tend to be the most urban. Maybe you should leave this discussion to the adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.