Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city metro is more integrated?Better race relations
Nashville 20 42.55%
Atlanta 27 57.45%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 03:48 PM

923 posts, read 655,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Don't think being majority white has anything to do with being more intergrated. Not to mention if we are talking Metros as a whole all Metros are Majority white in the US besides say Memphis which is majority black. I get the image you are trying to create which is false is that Nashville is this all white city when there is a High percentage of Blacks,Hispanics, Kurdish, etc. There are areas of Nashville that are comparable to Decatur and Clarkston say like Antioch and you couldn't have been in the Nolensville Pike area for you make those assumptions.. I am black and live in Atlanta, been here
for years and go to Nashville all the time and can tell the difference..
The only image I am painting is a factual.Nashville has some counties that are over 90%white.No where in the metro is any county that white or black.Not even close.Not room for much diversity when those numbers are so high.
Clarkston and Decatur are cities.Not neighborhoods,
Comparable areas of Atlanta would be neighborhoods in those cities but also up Buford Hwy in Atlanta into Doraville,Chambleee,Norcross etc.

As for Clarkston,Antioch might have some similarities but its no where on the level of Clarkston in regards to the topic
Ellis Island South: Welcome to the most diverse square mile in America - Atlanta Magazine
Again facts,Not just my words.I too and black and have all over the world and America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 04:00 PM

4,357 posts, read 4,185,841 times
Overall Nashville. Although Atlanta isn't as segregated as it use to be.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:13 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,444,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
The only image I am painting is a factual.Nashville has some counties that are over 90%white.No where in the metro is any county that white or black.Not even close.Not room for much diversity when those numbers are so high.
Comparable areas of Atlanta would be neighborhoods in those cities but also up Buford Hwy in Atlanta into Doraville,Chambleee,Norcross etc.

As for Clarkston,Antioch might have some similarities but its no where on the level of Clarkston in regards to the topic
Ellis Island South: Welcome to the most diverse square mile in America - Atlanta Magazine
Again facts,Not just my words.I too and black and have all over the world and America.
It's one thing to be diverse but another to be intergrated..Let's stick to your subject, Which City is more intergrated and has better race relations, interaction and we could add interracial relationships to this. It's one thing to tolerate each other and work together but it's another when your in a relationship, hanging as friends, party together and becomes one's true friend and family across racial boundaries... Who takes that cake???

Old 08-23-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
It's one thing to be diverse but another to be intergrated..Let's stick to your subject, Which City is more intergrated and has better race relations, interaction and we could add interracial relationships to this. It's one thing to tolerate each other and work together but it's another when your in a relationship, hanging as friends, party together and becomes one's true friend and family across racial boundaries... Who takes that cake???
Well my circle in Atlanta is extremely diverse.When You speak,I dont see the Atlanta YOU see.So frankly Im talking about the places I go and what I experience.
Im meeting tonight in Midtown in an hour a so with my best friend who is orgially from India,another close friend from Senegal,a girl from Belgium,a couple of caucasian Americans(one from Alabama),an Italian, and the list goes on and on.
These are people who have been in my home and we hang outon weekends and take road trips together.

All I know is ,if we dontsee eye to eye then let the facts speak for themselves.

Atlanta has WAY more blacks than metro as does ALL of GA vs TN so there really is no part of the metro in Atlanta where you dont see blacks.

Ive provided testimony and facts.You have provided "stories"....................

I started to post a picture of a friends kid.They are a biracial couple.He is African American,she is of Indian/South Asian American heritage,Born and raised in the Atlanta metro.They have a six year old child and thier families get along fantastic.I have MANY people like this throughout the metro that i know.
One of my closeest friends I went to high school with is African American,his wife is German.

Atlanta is too big of an international city not to have this type of interaction all over.Yes much of it is black but no city in America other than Philly or D.C. or as black and the same black demographic exist in Atlanta as it does D.C.

Last edited by Be Proud; 08-23-2018 at 06:05 PM..

Old 08-23-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Well my circle in Atlanta is extremely diverse.When You speak,I dont see the Atlanta YOU see.So frankly Im talking about the places I go and what I experience.
Im meeting tonight in Midtown in an hour a so with my best friend who is orgially from India,another close friend from Senegal,a girl from Belgium,a couple of caucasian Americans(one from Alabama),an Italian, and the list goes on and on.
These are people who have been in my home and we hang outon weekends and take road trips together.

All I know is ,if we dontsee eye to eye then let the facts speak for themselves.

Atlanta has WAY more blacks than metro as does ALL of GA vs TN so there really is no part of the metro in Atlanta where you dont see blacks.

Ive provided testimony and facts.You have provided "stories"....................

I started to post a picture of a friends kid.They are a biracial couple.He is African American,she is of Indian/South Asian American heritage,Born and raised in the Atlanta metro.They have a six year old child and thier families get along fantastic.I have MANY people like this throughout the metro that i know.
One of my closeest friends I went to high school with is African American,his wife is German.

Atlanta is too big of an international city not to have this type of interaction all over.Yes much of it is black but no city in America other than Philly or D.C. or as black and the same black demographic exist in Atlanta as it does D.C.
I'm starting to question your purpose and point to be honest not to mention your using old data and articles for a rapidly growing metro. Provide me an up to date 2017 same type diversity map for both...I'm a black man right here in Atlanta and from Georgia so I know what it is.. I'm not saying it's the case for all but its interesting how your trying hard to discredit one cities blackness and diversity to amp up Atlanta's just a little bit more.. I tell everyone go experience each for you self at city level and decide what's your cup of tea...Atlanta and or Nashville may not be for you and who knows maybe it is Different strokes for different folks..

Last edited by oobanks; 08-23-2018 at 08:19 PM..

Old 08-23-2018, 11:53 PM

7,053 posts, read 16,628,808 times
Quote:

THIS. ATL is at minimum twice as diverse as Nashville. It's also a much bigger city and feels that way.
Nashville is awesome but why in the heck does it continually think it can compare to a city 2.5 times its size? At the same time, Nashville doesn't want to be compared to cities 0.5 times smaller much less 2.5 times smaller! Imagine if someone compared Savannah or Tuscaloosa to Nashville? lol

Old 08-24-2018, 12:35 AM

16,626 posts, read 29,278,105 times
Atlanta.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I'm starting to question your purpose and point to be honest not to mention your using old data and articles for a rapidly growing metro. Provide me an up to date 2017 same type diversity map for both...I'm a black man right here in Atlanta and from Georgia so I know what it is.. I'm not saying it's the case for all but its interesting how your trying hard to discredit one cities blackness and diversity to amp up Atlanta's just a little bit more.. I tell everyone go experience each for you self at city level and decide what's your cup of tea...Atlanta and or Nashville may not be for you and who knows maybe it is Different strokes for different folks..
Ill spell it out for you:YOU ARE WRONG!lol Thats what my objective is and purpose.
Is that clear enough for you?Dude Old data that is within 2,3 or even 5 years is acceptable data for this forum as well as marketing research and other analysis needed to make decisions in a metro.

As far as trying hard,its not hard at all when every fact and resource one can find has it for you see.You think I should accept your view over careful research data?Yeah ok.
Nashville is only growing less than .80 percentage a year more than Atlanta.

Maybe you are older and your experience is different but I am from Georgia also and have lived in Atlanta on and off for decades and here RIGHT now for a few weeks again before I head off.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:42 AM

7,097 posts, read 8,862,892 times
Atlanta feels more international as a whole.

Race relations? I don't know. I do know anyone can experience racism anywhere and experience can vary from person to person depending upon where they live, work and play. Atlanta has branded itself as the city that's too busy to hate years ago. Nashville has not given itself any titles yet.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 08-24-2018 at 04:50 AM..

Old 08-24-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Ill spell it out for you:YOU ARE WRONG!lol Thats what my objective is and purpose.
Is that clear enough for you?Dude Old data that is within 2,3 or even 5 years is acceptable data for this forum as well as marketing research and other analysis needed to make decisions in a metro.

As far as trying hard,its not hard at all when every fact and resource one can find has it for you see.You think I should accept your view over careful research data?Yeah ok.
Nashville is only growing less than .80 percentage a year more than Atlanta.

Maybe you are older and your experience is different but I am from Georgia also and have lived in Atlanta on and off for decades and here RIGHT now for a few weeks again before I head off.

I am a older if you call early 40's older and I'm not going to argue with you, will be the bigger person. I think it's actually kind of immature to go back and forth on such a subject so I'm going to let you have it. Me being a Black man being from Georgia, living in other states and living in Atlanta for years now I think I should know. Even working in corporate America here In Atlanta I think I should know. Every bodies experience are different but I know what I see. I think most by default would think Atlanta would win this and I get that, heck if I didn't spend as much time in Nashville as I have lately I would believe the same thing but now I know better believe me, lol... smh.. I will admit Atlanta has gotten more diverse over the years but politics and sideways racism is Atlanta's worse enemy and I know people who have packed up and left Atlanta for that very reason, some one recently I know moved back to Phoenix because of that issue, they hated it here. As a majority, you stick to your own race group in Atlanta with very few and slim exceptions in certain areas like maybe midtown, or a few other pockets. Even in diverse neighbors in Atlanta metro most stick to their own groups and if you like that then Atlanta is your city. Its more mixing with Whites and other foreign groups than blacks in Atlanta as a whole I will say. It's a very slim minority you see a lot of blacks hanging with other groups but it some,,, ill tell you that. We will see how that pans out here in November during the governors race, how much things have really changed. As far as race relations and integration I know better now and believe me Nashville is ahead of Atlanta in that department. Who knows, your experience may be different than mine and ill let you have your belief and ill have mine. How about this, let's let the people just visit these places a see for them selves and not try to spur our Opinion on people, let the people be the judge from experience... And by the way you are Right, I am Wrong and Atlanta is more Diverse and Integrated, actually its beats out most cities in the US,, you win!!! By the way check out some of that good ol authentic Nashville Hot Chicken, we have one here on Moreland Ave. Now, it stays crowded too,,, Nashville Style!!!Piece

Last edited by oobanks; 08-24-2018 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City