Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 10:25 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
MILLIONS live here. There is no outbound stampede, just yourself and a few others, as there are for every place. Your fixation with knocking the region is getting tiresome.
Knocking it? It's fair criticism - Fake News.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
There is absolutely nothing I need to apologize for. Denver chews some people up and spits them out.

I have two sets of friends who have moved here from NY. They both love it. I’ve know both since they had toddlers.

Here is the mistake one of them made:

They moved here pre kids and lived in the Highland neighborhood. They thought it was fantastic; urban, walkable great dining. They called it Denver’s version of Brooklyn. I think that’s a stretch, but I’m not from NY so what do I know? ( I have been to Brooklyn a couple times).

They had kids and moved to Hilltop because they wanted a very Jewish neighborhood. Hilltop was waaaaay too slow and not walkable. After a short time there, they sold their house and moved to Congress Park. They love it.

Congress Park is an older city neighborhood that is walkable and has mature tree lined streets, and has restaurants, shops, bars and lots of families with kids. It’s very easy to commute to Anschutz if that’s where your job is.

Per your criteria, Denver does have a winter. It gets cold and snows. It also gets sunny and warm. This sometimes happens in the same week. It DOES NOT stay cloudy, damp and cold for weeks on end.

Good luck with your search. No place is perfect, but I think Denver checks a lot of the boxes.
Again, way to spin my words. You are basically saying the same facts I am about people not fitting in here, but you are pontificating by saying "you didn't do your research good enough! OMG!" Getting tired of the hysteria with some of your posts.

How is that a mistake? Reading this quickly but it sounds like they make a mistake moving to a close neighborhood and just made a move to another Denver neighborhood across town. I'm talking about the 180K people that have left the state last year - what about those folks? Those people who moved from NYC or someplace else and didn't enjoy it or fit in?

Again, I have a big problem with a city in the middle of country that you say can "suck people in and chew them out." Unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 10:35 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Knocking it? It's fair criticism - Fake News.

Again, way to spin my words. You are basically saying the same facts I am about people not fitting in here, but you are pontificating by saying "you didn't do your research good enough! OMG!" Getting tired of the hysteria with some of your posts.

How is that a mistake? Reading this quickly but it sounds like they make a mistake moving to a close neighborhood and just made a move to another Denver neighborhood across town. I'm talking about the 180K people that have left the state last year - what about those folks? Those people who moved from NYC or someplace else and didn't enjoy it or fit in?

Again, I have a big problem with a city in the middle of country that you say can "suck people in and chew them out." Unacceptable.

Over half the people I know in Denver moved here from another place, and a high percentage of those are from the East Coast. As am I, originally from NYC and then Long Island.

You don't like Denver, and that's fine. Not every location is a good match for every person and most people understand that no place is going to get 100% on every single item on a wishlist.

But lots and lots of former New Yorkers are quite happy in Denver, and get along just fine with the people here and find plenty to do to keep them busy and happy. Your opinions are your opinion, not some universal statement of fact.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:49 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
As far as culture goes, what culture exists here is nothing like NY.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-23-2018 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-23-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Over half the people I know in Denver moved here from another place, and a high percentage of those are from the East Coast. As am I, originally from NYC and then Long Island.

You don't like Denver, and that's fine. Not every location is a good match for every person and most people understand that no place is going to get 100% on every single item on a wishlist.

But lots and lots of former New Yorkers are quite happy in Denver, and get along just fine with the people here and find plenty to do to keep them busy and happy. Your opinions are your opinion, not some universal statement of fact.
Of course New Yorker's can be happy in Denver. Imagine being trapped in a concrete jungle all the time and not seeing nature or mountains on the regular. I grew up in Northern NJ and would take my car out to the suburbs because I hated seeing buildings all the time. My issue with Denver is really how small of a city it is compared to what I'm used to and the fact that Los Angeles (sorry to say) at least to me is superior. That also goes into 1:1 interaction with people and whatnot. IDK I'll admit I'm a weird breed but so be it.

People that move to DEN from NYC are looking for outdoorsy activities not a Manhattan "Cultural" feel. IMHO, they are willing to abandon it because they are so burned out from working there to embrace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It was interesting in one work situation to see the mismatch between a guy from NY and his mostly CO coworkers. Lots of frustrations between them due to cultural differences.
Count me in that mix too. Anytime there would passive aggressiveness in the office I'd get missed and people would look at me like "Uh oh, this coastal guy is getting angry again." Maybe stop behaving like a 15 year old and do your job - IDK haha.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:04 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
Quote:
I just would not want the OP to move out here and hate it like some people do.
I was born and raised in NYC and lived in metro Denver for eight years and I LOVED it! I only moved because of a job transfer.

Weather - great!, COL - MUCH lower than NYC, pace is slower, but I like it. Does it have the Guggenheim? No. But it has the Rocky Mountains.

I'd move back in a NY minute - pun intended.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Of course New Yorker's can be happy in Denver. Imagine being trapped in a concrete jungle all the time and not seeing nature or mountains on the regular. I grew up in Northern NJ and would take my car out to the suburbs because I hated seeing buildings all the time. My issue with Denver is really how small of a city it is compared to what I'm used to and the fact that Los Angeles (sorry to say) at least to me is superior. That also goes into 1:1 interaction with people and whatnot. IDK I'll admit I'm a weird breed but so be it.

People that move to DEN from NYC are looking for outdoorsy activities not a Manhattan "Cultural" feel. IMHO, they are willing to abandon it because they are so burned out from working there to embrace it.
I really don't even understand how you define "cultural feel" because Denver has its own version of theater, live music, restaurants, museums, art galleries, and on and on. No, of course there aren't as many as there are in NYC but for people who enjoy those types of activities, there are plenty of them do to.

I'm a member of 2 different museums (DAM and DMNS) and go to pretty much all the special exhibits they have each year, as well as drop in on the permanent collections from time to time. Add in the visits to other area museums and I go ever bit as often as friends who live in NYC who are also regular museum-goers. I love the theater and regularly see things at DCPA and some of the excellent smaller theaters around town like the Aurora Fox and several others. I also go up to Boulder a few times a year to take advantage of CU's great offerings.

I'm not personally a foodie but there are several who post on this forum who have shared many of the excellent Denver dining experiences - and criticisms too, when warranted. New restaurants open on just about a weekly basis it seems, so there are always new options to try.

And all of that is of course on top of the hiking, biking, skiing, and so on - for some people that is the main attraction, for others, it's of no interest, and many in the middle, it's an occasional option, not necessary the reason they moved here, which was more likely a good job offer in a place that sounded like a nice place to live.

So I really have no idea exactly what Denver doesn't have that bothers you so much, because one person can only eat in so many places, attend so many shows, go to so many concerts. At the end of the day, whether you are picking from 10 options or 100, you still end up picking one thing.

You sound like a little kid at the end of summer vacation who is bored because "there is nothing to do" - but of course there are a dozen options in front of him, he just wants to complain for the sake of complaining.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I really don't even understand how you define "cultural feel" because Denver has its own version of theater, live music, restaurants, museums, art galleries, and on and on. No, of course there aren't as many as there are in NYC but for people who enjoy those types of activities, there are plenty of them do to.

I'm a member of 2 different museums (DAM and DMNS) and go to pretty much all the special exhibits they have each year, as well as drop in on the permanent collections from time to time. Add in the visits to other area museums and I go ever bit as often as friends who live in NYC who are also regular museum-goers. I love the theater and regularly see things at DCPA and some of the excellent smaller theaters around town like the Aurora Fox and several others. I also go up to Boulder a few times a year to take advantage of CU's great offerings.

I'm not personally a foodie but there are several who post on this forum who have shared many of the excellent Denver dining experiences - and criticisms too, when warranted. New restaurants open on just about a weekly basis it seems, so there are always new options to try.

And all of that is of course on top of the hiking, biking, skiing, and so on - for some people that is the main attraction, for others, it's of no interest, and many in the middle, it's an occasional option, not necessary the reason they moved here, which was more likely a good job offer in a place that sounded like a nice place to live.

So I really have no idea exactly what Denver doesn't have that bothers you so much, because one person can only eat in so many places, attend so many shows, go to so many concerts. At the end of the day, whether you are picking from 10 options or 100, you still end up picking one thing.

You sound like a little kid at the end of summer vacation who is bored because "there is nothing to do" - but of course there are a dozen options in front of him, he just wants to complain for the sake of complaining.
I was a member at the local Denver Film Center - I had some fun times there as well. But here's a point, there's only like 3 film centers like that in Denver and like over a dozen in Los Angeles. Museum scene in Denver was decent, again cannot be compared to L.A. and NYC. Concert venues were superior in DEN, but that's not really culture as much as it is having a sick venue in proximity of the mountains.

Food? As I said multiple times here, I really thought Denver's food scene was actually great and underrated. I roll my eyes when people judge a city on food. You can find great food anywhere if you look for it. And I can only name a few cities that are food cities based on regional culture, one being New Orleans.

My main thing with Denver was the Passive Aggressive culture, over-expansion of the city, and literally felt like some people were so spineless or self-serving that I wanted to slap them upside the head because the altitude was killing their brain. That's just me, but many others agree and have left. Awareness is important on these boards.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I was a member at the local Denver Film Center - I had some fun times there as well. But here's a point, there's only like 3 film centers like that in Denver and like over a dozen in Los Angeles. Museum scene in Denver was decent, again cannot be compared to L.A. and NYC. Concert venues were superior in DEN, but that's not really culture as much as it is having a sick venue in proximity of the mountains.

My main thing with Denver was the Passive Aggressive culture, over-expansion of the city, and literally felt like some people were so spineless or self-serving that I wanted to slap them upside the head because the altitude was killing their brain. That's just me, but many others agree and have left. Awareness is important on these boards.
Serious, so what if there are "only" 3 film centers in Denver. DFS (I guess I count as a member there too because my son participates in some of their programming) has 3 different movies running at the Sie every day and sponsors film festivals and series through out the year. Other venues have multiple other offerings. Just how many movies do you go to that you'd "run out"?

The reality is that NYC and LA have more venues because there are more people to fill them, not necessarily that they actually have so many more offerings (yes, they do get exclusives in both locations but that's a factor that basically no other cities besides those two can compete with, not just Denver).

Your second paragraph kind of leaves me no ability to respond without personally insulting you, but I won't, I'll just say that it has zero to do with your claims that there is no "culture" here, which is what I've addressed already.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:36 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Quote:
I grew up in NYC, then LI, too. Left after high school for 12 years of school and post-graduate, wound up in a northern suburb of Philly and made frequent day trips (1 hour by train) to Manhattan for shows, museums, walking around, etc. Spent more time in Manhattan on weekends than in Center City Philly. Got to the point where we even exhausted the "minor" museums (Cooper Hewitt, NYC Transit, etc.)

Before moving here (9 years ago) we used to come for a week of Spring skiing almost every year. I moved to Denver for the outdoorsy stuff and love it. No regrets.

N610DL - You didn't like it here and moved to the cultureless concrete jungle called LA. You seem like an unhappy "grass is always greener" guy and suspect you won't be there for too long, either. So why do you keep hanging out on this forum? If you didn't like it here, move on.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Your second paragraph kind of leaves me no ability to respond without personally insulting you, but I won't, I'll just say that it has zero to do with your claims that there is no "culture" here, which is what I've addressed already.
Hey Barry - Awareness / opinions are important. There was a thread last week where a lot of people called out Denver's over-expansion problem (some admittedly saying they are considering moving). I don't see how this is any different.

No it's because Denver isn't as much of a priority of a film center as NYC or L.A. Not Denver's fault, I liked it well enough, but just saying.

What is so bad about the second paragraph? See, it's directness that offends people because deep down they know it's true.

Let me give you an example: One time I was at the car wash last March and some guy who's supposed to give you your ticket and take your order noticed a "chip" on my windshield. I told him it's fine, I know my car well but how much is it. He told $59 bucks. I said, let's leave it alone then. He kept persisting, many times, and wouldn't leave it be. Finally I said don't you dare touch it and leave it alone and *maybe* elevated my tone a little bit but nothing much. He looked at me like I had 10 heads on.

My point is Denver has all these self-proclaimed narcissists thinking they know a thing or two based on where they're from. Opinion isn't fact. Same deal with the Pharmacist at the Safeway who told me mix regular Advil and store brand cold medicine that would magically make Advil Cold / Advil AM Cold whatever. Literally never witnessed such horse**** from people out there.

These stories has happened to me multiple times in the Denver area - it's call panhandling. Never saw anything like it in NYC or LA (aside being homeless), perhaps in NJ with crappy auto mechanics but nonetheless, this stuff ticked me off. And guess what? I got into a car accident a year later in L.A. which it got totaled and the windshield still didn't crack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City