Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Adding population while losing influence? Vote!
Phoenix 57 20.00%
Jacksonville 74 25.96%
San Antonio 37 12.98%
Columbus 14 4.91%
Charlotte 19 6.67%
Oklahoma City 24 8.42%
Austin 15 5.26%
Nashville 12 4.21%
San Jose 18 6.32%
Other (explain) 15 5.26%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:07 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lol. Stop lying to people who don't know any better...

Memphis city has gained ~6500 people this decade, and Memphis metro has gained ~23,000 people this decade. I don't disagree that it belongs on a list of growing cities losing influence, but your statement was factually incorrect...

I think Miami has to be candidate here. It has pop culture and Latin relevance but pretty much lacks the overall balance of all larger cities, and is in danger of being passed by smaller cities that are more dynamic (Seattle, and Detroit if it's renaissance gains greater steam). Hell, Miami is larger than Philly, Boston, and San Fran already and isn't in their league. It will continue to grow but you can easily see Seattle passing it and/or it continue to lose ground with current comparable cities...
Every city has influence in a different way. Miami is not losing relevance because it's passed by smaller cities on individual metrics that you seem to be prioritizing over others.
Also, I don't see how you defend Memphis and take down Miami in the same post using different lenses for your assertions. Using population growth as the comparative metric, Miami smokes Memphis & a lot of other cities. It's possibly the most rapidly densifying city in the country this decade (nearly 1800 ppl/m2 since 2010), outclassing both Seattle and San Francisco. If it were losing relevance, would the city be a finalist for Amazon HQ2?
Also, don't discount the power of culture as influence. Miami is huge when it comes to culture related to the arts. Whether it's ArtBasel, architecture, Latin American TV/Film, musicians, videos, fashion, etc., Miami has a outweighed influence across two continents. For example, international musicians come to Miami to film their music videos. Would they do this if the city was losing relevance? As one of the country's top destinations for foreign tourists, it also has a global brand identity. If one is going to pick a Florida city for this category, it certainly wouldn't be Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 11:45 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Phoenix.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:00 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Phoenix.
I was reconsidering my Jacksonville vote for Phoenix, but last night I was reading about their Valley Metro and the plans for it's significant expansion. Puts them over a lot of the cities in the poll, IMO.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:19 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
We've all seen the promoted blogs and articles about those "up and coming" cities that are so amazingly great that "everyone is moving to." The only problem is that sometimes it seems that the only evidence being offered up for this supposed greatness are population surges coupled with some vague economic forecasts.

At the same time we see cities that are supposedly on the decline building streetcars, high rises, and continuing to add big time amenities.
I have to ask OP; do you really think that Charlotte isn't "building streetcars, high rises, and continuing to add big time amenities"? The fact that you've included it in your choices of poll cities would suggest that you do.

2006 Charlotte
Miles of streetcar--------------zero
Miles of light rail---------------zero
Buildings above 250ft tall------18

2020 Charlotte
Miles of streetcar--------------4
Miles of light rail--------------19
Buildings above 250ft tall---43

Quote:
What is population increase really an indicator of? Do some cities just continue to add population without increasing their actual stature or influence?

Discuss.
I totally agree that some cities simply add people without actually evolving into a "true city". I also agree that some cities grow without actually improving their stature and/or influence.

In Charlotte's case, that city had never hosted a major political convention back in 2006. All of a sudden, Charlotte hosted the 2012 DNC for Obama and was recently selected to host the 2020 RNC. How many cities go from hosting none of these type of events to hosting two in the span of 8 years? Charlotte is also hosting the 2019 NBA All-Star game (the city's second time hosting that particular event). Call me a homer if you wish, but I think listing Charlotte in this thread was a weird city to name. If anything, Charlotte and Austin are probably the fastest evolving midsized US cities right now.

As for transit beyond 2020, there are currently efforts to fund an ambitious $6 billion expansion of the current 19 miles of light rail. This plan would produce a system with over 50 miles of rail (light rail, streetcar, and commuter rail) by 2030. IMO, you might want to do a little more research on NC's largest city; Charlotte isn't just building a bunch of single family suburban homes. Far from it...

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 08-26-2018 at 01:27 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 01:40 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Definitely Phoenix and Jacksonville.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:00 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I have to ask OP; do you really think that Charlotte isn't "building streetcars, high rises, and continuing to add big time amenities"? The fact that you've included it in your choices of poll cities would suggest that you do.

2006 Charlotte
Miles of streetcar--------------zero
Miles of light rail---------------zero
Buildings above 250ft tall------18

2020 Charlotte
Miles of streetcar--------------4
Miles of light rail--------------19
Buildings above 250ft tall---43

I totally agree that some cities simply add people without actually evolving into a "true city". I also agree that some cities grow without actually improving their stature and/or influence.

In Charlotte's case, that city had never hosted a major political convention back in 2006. All of a sudden, Charlotte hosted the 2012 DNC for Obama and was recently selected to host the 2020 RNC. How many cities go from hosting none of these type of events to hosting two in the span of 8 years? Charlotte is also hosting the 2019 NBA All-Star game (the city's second time hosting that particular event). Call me a homer if you wish, but I think listing Charlotte in this thread was a weird city to name. If anything, Charlotte and Austin are probably the fastest evolving midsized US cities right now.

As for transit beyond 2020, there are currently efforts to fund an ambitious $6 billion expansion of the current 19 miles of light rail. This plan would produce a system with over 50 miles of rail (light rail, streetcar, and commuter rail) by 2030. IMO, you might want to do a little more research on NC's largest city; Charlotte isn't just building a bunch of single family suburban homes. Far from it...

It would be interesting to view a side by side comparison of the 2006 Charlotte skyline to the 2018 Charlotte skyline. Was not aware they were constructing them that fast there.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:57 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Well it's unfortunate that you didn't understand my post.

I'll put it another way. In my opinion, I think a city thay has steadily falling from 4th largest metro to now 8th largest metro despite technically experiencing population growth is becoming less relevant compared to the cities that have surpassed it in ranking, or will soon surpass it in ranking.

That said, it's all subjective and if you disagree, you're more than entitled to.
Okay., fair, but that doesn't make it lose relevance. These discussions have come up in various threads in some form or fashion over the years, and what I have often pointed out is that many of these "Growing Cities" have annexed occupied areas, not only within the borders of the city line but also up to 10-15 miles out and further. If that's not an instant population booster, then I don't know what is.

Also cities like D.C. and Atlanta have towns 30-40 miles outside their cities and those places are considered part of the "Metropolitan Area." Heck LA has towns 60-70 miles outside of town that are apart of the MSA. It's just not that way with Philly, but if you travel the same distances you'll see that there are many people and residing in quality boroughs & townships but their county is not apart of Metro Philadelphia. "Technically"
See, if you travel 60 miles north of Philly to Allentown, Bethlehem , Easton (Give or take a few miles) you'll see an abundance of Philadelphia influence (i.e. Bars, Sporting Goods Stores, Sports Fans and the jersey's they wear,most of the tv stations are broadcast from Philly and a few from New York., but it's highly Philly affiliated but it's considered apart of NYC Metro these days.. (I could be wrong)

Mercer County was always apart of Metro Philadelphia and it's only across the bridge, like 14 miles north of Northeast Philadelphia, and 70 miles from Manhattan, but considered apart of NYC Metro...So there ya have it. Heck I live in Northeast Philly and about 20 minutes from there but that area is considered their MSA. We'll see by next census if it's returned back into Philly's MSA. Either way, I still don't see as losing influence because some other regions are seeing growth by another set of methods.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:03 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
...and what I have often pointed out is that many of these "Growing Cities" have annexed occupied areas...
Just to correct a common misconception, MSAs are defined based on commuting patterns, not "annexed occupied areas."

Old 08-26-2018, 09:06 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I never hear anything, good or bad, about Phoenix anymore.
Some recent PHX news-

Phoenix is getting more diverse with a strong uptick in the Asian population as well as Hispanic and African American, this has been nothing but good from added culture to delicious new restaurants.

Phoenix area undergoing major demographic changes, report finds

The city is getting a lot more urban, compared to growth spurts of past decades this one is heavily infill oriented. 9 cranes are up in downtown Phoenix now, 2000 new apartments were recently added and 3,000 more are planned. Considering the city added almost none from 1960-2000 it’s quite a revitalization. Nearby Tempe has 7 cranes up now with 2-3 more expected soon.

Downtown Phoenix skyline will look different starting in October - Arizona's Family

Our economy continues to diversify as well, ranking well for both wage growth and total jobs added, a welcome change from the old days when we mainly just built new houses.

https://azbigmedia.com/phoenix-remai...r-wage-growth/

We’re now ranked 15th for tech talent.

https://kjzz.org/content/680083/metr...-talent-report

And people continue to move here in droves, we now stand at the 11th largest metro with close to 5 million people here, this can be a double edged sword.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ale/449043002/

What else?

Arpaio lost his bid to remain sheriff last year, education funding has improved exponentially and remains a huge focus in the 2018 election, boarder violence seems to have slowed down and there’s an interesting senate race set for Jeff Flakes seat this November.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:24 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
I was reconsidering my Jacksonville vote for Phoenix, but last night I was reading about their Valley Metro and the plans for it's significant expansion. Puts them over a lot of the cities in the poll, IMO.
We’ve added and continue to add rail/streetcar/people mover options in the valley. Below is just what’s already approved and funded. Many more discussions and early stage plans exist.

2008- Valley metro rail initial line 20 miles
2013-2014: phase 1 and 2 of Sky Train to the airport from light rail
2018- 26 miles of LRT additions east and northwest
2020- 29 miles is rail + 3 miles of Tempe street car
2020- phase 3 of sky train to the rental car facility
2023-2030- capital line extension by 2023 then I-10 to 79th ave
2023-South Phoenix 5 mile extension
2023- phase 2 northwest extension
2034- 66 miles of light rail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City