Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 10:59 AM

211 posts, read 137,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
No you're just projecting. I know plenty of people that love living in Denver. There may be a few that sugarcoat things but there are also a few (Like yourself and Ankhharu) that like to over exaggerate the negatives just because it might not be to your liking.

Could be some projection, sure, but what specifically did I over exaggerate?

For the record, I didn't say I hated living here, just that as a city Denver is underwhelming. I also know people who love Denver itself; a lot of them tend to come from crappy towns, or they want a change of pace from a huge city, or they're really into jam bands/the generic, bro-ey "chill" culture. I could go on, but you're right in that the city isn't to my liking. And for people who care about the things I do like walkable urbanism, unique character, restaurants worth spending your money at, and high quality/mixed-use development in the neighborhoods - they might want to know that Denver under-performs in those categories.

Last edited by boomtown boi; 09-16-2021 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 11:10 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,179,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
I'm in a similar boat, but I also have some wonderful friends here (more like chosen family) which will make it harder to leave. I do find the sugar-coated Denver boosterism a fascinating phenomina though - I think it has a lot to do with people trying to justify the ever increasing cost of living here. I mean - who wants to admit they pay an arm and a leg to live in a place that is average at best in terms of built environment/transit, with a mediocre food scene, etc? The main perks to me to are the amount of sunny days and the 30-min. proximity to hiking in Boulder or Golden; nothing I love about living here is tied to the city itself.
For the record I'm far from a booster. I actually just moved here this year and haven't decide if it's working out like I wanted. Believe me if I want to start a PR campaign to get people to stop moving here I have plenty to work with without exaggerating or making stuff up. Like you I'm not a fan of the food scene or transit here. Way too expensive to be useful for its intended purpose and not enough stops. I also find the summer here during the day is not much of an upgrade over Texas as the sun is too strong.
One thing I do like about the city itself is there are a lot of people who're into books and culture within the urban core, with the events and amenities that go with it.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:13 AM

503 posts, read 801,556 times
Quote:
Could be some projection, sure, but what specifically did I over exaggerate?

I also know people who love living here btw; a lot of them tend to come from crappy places, or they want a change of pace from a huge city, or they're really into jam bands/the bro-y "chill" culture. I could go on, but you're right in that the city isn't to my liking. And for people who care about the things I care about, I think they would share some of my opinions.
It's nothing you said specifically since that is your opinion of the city and I can't tell you what does and doesn't work for you. But it seems like you're trying to convince people that everyone feels the same way about living in Denver and I know that couldn't be further from the truth. Denver has extreme local pride.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
For the record I'm far from a booster. I actually just moved here this year and haven't decide if it's working out like I wanted. Believe me if I want to start a PR campaign to get people to stop moving here I have plenty to work with without exaggerating or making stuff up. Like you I'm not a fan of the food scene or transit here. Way too expensive to be useful for its intended purpose and not enough stops. I also find the summer here during the day is not much of an upgrade over Texas as the sun is too strong.
One thing I do like about the city itself is there are a lot of people who're into books and culture within the urban core, with the events and amenities that go with it.

Oh I wasn't calling you out, that was more of a general statement. I agree about the people here supporting cool bookstores like Mutiny Cafe for example; probably an upgrade from Houston or Dallas in that regard, but definitely a downgrade compared to Seattle and Portland (or even Austin, from what I saw).

Old 09-16-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Denver has extreme local pride.

Right, which comes off as Texas-style arrogant pride at times. It could benefit from a slice of humble pie.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It's nothing you said specifically since that is your opinion of the city and I can't tell you what does and doesn't work for you. But it seems like you're trying to convince people that everyone feels the same way about living in Denver and I know that couldn't be further from the truth.

I never said everyone feels the same way - isn't the whole point of these forums to express the reality of living in a place? I'm just expressing mine...

Old 09-16-2021, 11:41 AM

503 posts, read 801,556 times
Quote:
Right, which comes off as Texas-style arrogant pride at times. It could benefit from a slice of humble pie.
Can’t say you’re wrong. Just saying most people don’t seem to be too disappointed with the offering there.

That’s also another thing. I notice a lot of people here have an obsession with trying to “humble” Denver by discrediting everything about it. So I guess that’s what I mean by “Over exaggerating.” Not necessarily that the criticisms have no merit what-so-ever.
Quote:
I never said everyone feels the same way - isn't the whole point of these forums to express the reality of living in a place? I'm just expressing mine...
Yeah you’re right. Didn’t mean to minimize your experiences.

Last edited by Gfitz1010; 09-16-2021 at 11:58 AM..

Old 09-16-2021, 12:42 PM

15 posts, read 7,751 times
1. Denver
2. Seattle
3. Portland

Old 09-27-2021, 12:25 PM

1,098 posts, read 904,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerUSA45 View Post
Based on the weather alone I say Denver. You will get depressed and suicidal in Seattle and Portland -- no sun.
I'm from the Midwest originally and I miss the clouds. The sun here is harsh - It can be a little too much paired with the dry-thin air. Wears you out quick. Overall, yeah it probably still beats extreme cloudiness, but I would definitely prefer a little more balance. The climate on the front range is harsher than most people are willing to admit because it looks nice on the surface.

Last edited by Jame22; 09-27-2021 at 01:22 PM..

Old 09-28-2021, 01:12 PM

365 posts, read 231,150 times
Seattle and Portland have better restaurant and bar scenes than Denver, and Seattle is the most cosmopolitan and urban of the three.

However, Denver does much better in terms of mild/warm days - outside of glorious summers, Seattle and Portland are cool, grey and damp for about 6-8 months of the year. All are equally great for outdoors, but Denver's MUCH sunnier climate makes it easier to experience the outdoors year round. I'd also say people are friendlier in Denver. Seattle and Portland have that West Coast snootiness, although the suburbs tend to be much friendlier than the cities proper.

If you care more about city amenities, I'd pick Seattle. If you care more about weather and friendliness, I'd pick Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City