Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Cincinnati
Austin 65 53.28%
Cincinnati 57 46.72%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 04:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post
Whoever thinks Cincinnati is better than Austin needs to get their brain checked. Austin is hands down 1000 times better than Cincinnati. Austin had great nightlife, very nice suburbs, a booming univeristy and great restaurants. There are things to do in Austin. Austin has a much better climate as the winters here are mainly in the 60s while in Cincinnati they are in the 30s. There is a very nice downtown riverfront park that Cincinnati does not have. Austin suburbs are much better for example, Round Rock, Leander and Cedar Park. The only suburb I would live in in the Cincinnati area is Mason. Austin is incredibly diverse unlike Cincinnati which is mainly White and Black, Austin has people from all over the world. People want to move to Austin, there are jobs here. Austin metro is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation. Hays County just south of Austin is the fastest growing county in America. Cincinnati isn’t growing at all and hasn’t grown for the past decade.
Whoever thinks that people that don't agree with them need to get their brain checked needs their brain checked. Austin's climate is miserable to me. It's far too hot in summer. It's more expensive. Traffic sucks for its size. No major sports teams. It doesn't have anything that compares to Over the Rhine.

1. Downtown: Cincinnati. Very underrated city for urbanity with downtown, the Banks, OTR and Mt Adams
2. Walkability: See above
3. Transportation car and public: Neither is great, but Austin traffic sucks for its size. Cincinnati has the streetcar, which isn't the best, but if you live in downtown or OTR, it's a viable form of transit.
4. Scenery: Tie. Both are river cities with rolling hills just outside downtown.
5. Economy: Austin
6. Bars/Restaurants: Austin, but Cincinnati is far from bad.
7. Outdoor Activities: Austin
8. Climate: Cincinnati because I don't like the heat in Austin and I enjoy winter.
9. Suburbs: Tie. If you think Mason is the only nice suburb of Cincinnati, you know nothing about Cincinnati.
10. Safety: Austin
11. COL: Cincinnati
12. Where would you rather live?: Cincinnati. I prefer Cincinnati's climate. OTR is one of my favorite urban neighborhoods outside a coastal city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 05:27 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Austin had great nightlife, very nice suburbs, a booming univeristy and great restaurants. There are things to do in Austin.
Isn't this kind of like saying "Austin has great sidewalks, bridges, and freeways?" You're naming amenities that literally every city has.

I've never been to Austin, but in this poll, it seems to me that:

Austin is a low density sun belt city that, with a population pushing 1 million, cannot attract a pro sports franchise. It's notoriety outside of Texas is provided almost wholly by a convention that could be hosted anywhere.

Cincinnati is a structurally dense, compact city. It's downtown has stood in for Manhattan in films. They have NFL and MLB. It's location, straddling a state border on a major river, provides a sense of place that Austin does not appear to have. I doubt there is an equivalent neighborhood to OTR anywhere west of the Mississippi.

I pick Cincinnati.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:35 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
Quote:
Whoever thinks Cincinnati is better than Austin needs to get their brain checked. Austin is hands down 1000 times better than Cincinnati. Austin had great nightlife, very nice suburbs, a booming univeristy and great restaurants. There are things to do in Austin. Austin has a much better climate as the winters here are mainly in the 60s while in Cincinnati they are in the 30s. There is a very nice downtown riverfront park that Cincinnati does not have. Austin suburbs are much better for example, Round Rock, Leander and Cedar Park. The only suburb I would live in in the Cincinnati area is Mason. Austin is incredibly diverse unlike Cincinnati which is mainly White and Black, Austin has people from all over the world. People want to move to Austin, there are jobs here. Austin metro is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation. Hays County just south of Austin is the fastest growing county in America. Cincinnati isn’t growing at all and hasn’t grown for the past decade.
Austin has much better nightlife and live music for sure, and University of Texas is more prolific than University of Cincinnati (U of C is still a fine research university with over 36,000 students). However, Cincinnati also has a large downtown riverfront park and has beautiful historic bridges over the Ohio River leading to Kentucky.

Cincinnati is also a very, very hilly city, which gives it a certain amount of charm and wonder. The Over-The-Rhine neighborhood is one of the most unique in all of the interior continental USA and the Findlay Market is great, historic Public Market.

The population of the Cincinnati MSA continues to grow, albeit slowly, and there are some major companies headquartered there like Kroger, Proctor & Gamble, Macy's and a big division of General Electric. Also, it was just awarded an MLS soccer franchise, which means the city now has 3 major pro sports franchises.

Finally, the city borders Kentucky, and across the river is a nice little city called Covington with a vibrant riverfront as well. Cincinnati has maybe the 2nd best Museum of African-American History in the National Underground Railroad Museum. Also, nearby is one of the great amusement parks of the U.S., Kings Island.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/

I go with Cincinnati as well.

Last edited by usroute10; 09-08-2018 at 07:54 PM..

Old 09-09-2018, 12:10 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Pittsburgh, definitely!

Old 09-09-2018, 11:35 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Austin has much better nightlife and live music for sure, and University of Texas is more prolific than University of Cincinnati (U of C is still a fine research university with over 36,000 students. However, Cincinnati also has a large downtown riverfront park and has beautiful historic bridges over the Ohio River leading to Kentucky.

Cincinnati is also a very, very hilly city, which gives it a certain amount of charm and wonder. The Over-The-Rhine neighborhood is one of the most unique in all of the interior continental USA and the Findlay Market is great, historic Public Market.

The population of the Cincinnati MSA continues to grow, albeit slowly, and there are some major companies headquartered there like Kroger, Proctor & Gamble, Macy's and a big division of General Electric. Also, it was just awarded an MLS soccer franchise, which means the city now has 3 major pro sports franchises.

Finally, the city borders Kentucky, and across the river is a nice little city called Covington with a vibrant riverfront as well. Cincinnati has maybe the 2nd best Museum of African-American History in the National Underground Railroad Museum. Also, nearby is one of the great amusement parks of the U.S., Kings Island.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/

I go with Cincinnati as well.
I appreciate how you've drawn attention to many of Cincinnati's assets. To add to your comments, the student enrollment at UC is now actually 10,000 more than stated:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...s-another.html
Another notable and major asset to Cincy's metro is Amazon's newly located global air-freight hub across the river at CVG. Needless to say, as this operation ramps up, it promises to be a huge economic boost to both NKY and SW Ohio.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:51 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I appreciate how you've drawn attention to many of Cincinnati's assets. To add to your comments, the student enrollment at UC is now actually 10,000 more than stated:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...s-another.html
Another notable and major asset to Cincy's metro is Amazon's newly located global air-freight hub across the river at CVG. Needless to say, as this operation ramps up, it promises to be a huge economic boost to both NKY and SW Ohio.
Wow, that's a lot of students. Odd that the streetcar doesn't go there since that's probably a demographic that would make a great deal use of it and giving college students access to the rest of the city the college is in probably makes it that much more likely to keep the graduates. Weird!

Old 09-09-2018, 01:24 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Wow, that's a lot of students. Odd that the streetcar doesn't go there since that's probably a demographic that would make a great deal use of it and giving college students access to the rest of the city the college is in probably makes it that much more likely to keep the graduates. Weird!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the second phase of the streetcar. The logistics of what street(s) it will go up the hill from OTR to UC is still being debated. But the city definitely is trying to get the streetcar up to UC. Its neighborhood is already structurally quite dense, and with the thousands of students living there, it would be a great asset to the neighborhood, allowing residents and students direct access to OTR and downtown. Downtown does have a lot of jobs, so a direct connection between a large university and the job center could only be a positive attribute. There is just argument as to what path the line will take going up the hill from OTR.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:49 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the second phase of the streetcar. The logistics of what street(s) it will go up the hill from OTR to UC is still being debated. But the city definitely is trying to get the streetcar up to UC. Its neighborhood is already structurally quite dense, and with the thousands of students living there, it would be a great asset to the neighborhood, allowing residents and students direct access to OTR and downtown. Downtown does have a lot of jobs, so a direct connection between a large university and the job center could only be a positive attribute. There is just argument as to what path the line will take going up the hill from OTR.
For everyone's benefit, it needs to be mentioned that, in 2011, plans to extend the streetcar route in connection of downtown's central-business district to uptown's university-hospital district were well in place, but derailed by Gov. John Kasich diverting previously approved $52-million of much needed funding elsewhere.

Prior to this bombshell from Columbus, Cincinnati media sources had even gone to the extent of picturing prototypes of big French boring machines that were to be utilized to tunnel uphill and surface somewhere around Christ Hospital in Mt. Auburn. From there, the system would have run above ground to the Cincinnati Zoo. It's reasonable to believe that such a route would today extend past Xavier University out to Hyde Park or beyond. The two articles linked below provide ample details and possible motives why it never happened:
* https://usa.streetsblog.org/2011/03/10/ohio-gov-john-kasich-vs-the-cincinnati-streetcar/

* https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2011/04/12/state-panel-votes-to-pull-cincinnati.html

Old 09-09-2018, 04:51 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Surprised Cincinnati isnt winning this poll. I think people are over Austin now.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:57 PM

97 posts, read 64,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Surprised Cincinnati isnt winning this poll. I think people are over Austin now.
cd nerds dont understand the real world dawg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City