Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more international?Houston or Las Vegas
Houston 47 65.28%
Las Vegas 25 34.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 11:03 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Dude, it says multiple times in your link that its measuring TOURISM.

Its your link. You should have read what it was actually measuring before posting it.
Boy talk about stubborn. Mentions tourist 3 times. Mentions visitors 10 times without counting the 20 or so times visitor appears in the illustrations.
And tourist is a sub class of visitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 11:06 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,474,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Boy talk about stubborn. Mentions tourist 3 times. Mentions visitors 10 times without counting the 20 or so times visitor appears in the illustrations.
And tourist is a sub class of visitor.
Boy talk about dense. Go read the methodology and sources at the bottom of the list. Almost every single source listed cites TOURISM.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:09 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Boy talk about dense. Go read the methodology and sources at the bottom of the list. Almost every single source listed cites TOURISM.
Of course they would. Tourism is a big component of visitors. But it is not the only one.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:15 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,474,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Of course they would. Tourism is a big component of visitors. But it is not the only one.
They mention it because that is what they are measuring. If almost all the sources mention tourism and then there is a study done based on those sources, the study will produce number of tourists. Thats exactly what your link measures.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:41 PM

923 posts, read 664,259 times

Old 09-10-2018, 01:39 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,288 times
Quote:
Let me break it down for you. The 2016 demographics are below:

Of the four major ethnic groups, it breaks down like this:

Houston Metro Area:
Non-Hispanic White: 36.9%
Hispanic: 36.8%
Black: 16.9%
Asian: 7.6%

Las Vegas Metro Area:
Non-Hispanic White: 43.4 %
Hispanic: 30.9%
Black: 11.0%
Asian: 9.7%

However the devil is in the details. When you get deeper into the numbers you see that Las Vegas is much more one-sided within these groups:

Within Houston's Asian Community...
Vietnamese are 26% of the total Asian community
Indians are 25% of the total Asian community
Chinese are 18% of the total Asian community
Filipinos are 10% of the total Asian community
Koreans are 3% of the total Asian community
Japanese are 1% of the total Asian community
All other Asian groups are 17% of the total Asian community

Within Las Vegas' Asian Community...
Filipino's are 54% of the total Asian community
Chinese are 16% of the total Asian community
Koreans are 6% of the total Asian community
Japanese, Indians, and Vietnamese are 4% each of the total Asian community
All other Asian groups are 11%

Then if we break down the Hispanic Communities (I listed all groups over 2% of the Hispanic community as well as Central/South Americans as a whole):

Within Houston's Hispanic Community:
Mexicans are 76% of the total Hispanic community
Central Americans are 14% of the total Hispanic community
Salvadorans are 7% of the total Hispanic community
Hondurans are 4% of the total Hispanic community
Guatemalans are 2% of the total Hispanic community
Cubans and Puerto Ricans are both 2% each of the total Hispanic community
South Americans are 4% as a whole of the Hispanic community
Colombians are 2% of the Hispanic community

Within Las Vegas' Hispanic Community:
Mexicans are 75% of the total Hispanic community
Central Americans as a whole are 10% of the Hispanic community
Salvadorans are 6% of the total Hispanic community
Cubans are 5% of the total Hispanic community
Puerto Ricans are 3.5% of the Hispanic community
Guatemalans are 3% of the Hispanic community
South Americans as a whole are 3% of the Hispanic

Beyond this there is the foreign born African community. Houston has roughly 100,000 foreign born Africans (Nigerians being about 40k of that total). Las Vegas has less than 5,000 foreign born Africans so its pointless to compare the two.

Based on this, a parallel could be drawn between the Hispanic communities with Houston being a bit more diverse, but for the rest there is no contest. Houston is undoubtedly more diverse than Las Vegas from a residential perspective.
I said I’ll take your word for it, but since you went through great lengths to break every small detail down I’ll comment.

First off, regardless of how you want to break things down, and we’ll get to that, 73.7% White and hispanic for Houston, and 74.3% for Vegas is about as close to similar as possible when talking about 3/4 of ones population.

All I really gathered after that is there’s a higher black population, which I conceded (I wasn’t aware of such a great number of Nigerians), and nearly half of the Asian community, all 7.6% of the population is predominantly Vietnamese and Indian in Houston, where nearly half of Vegas’s 9.7% is Filipino. After that it’s a pretty similar breakdown in the Asian community.

The difference in the hispanic community is even more negligible. Both are 76% & 75% Mexican respectively, and the remaining 25% is separated by a few percent amongst most groups. Honestly this breakdown only helped to confirm their similarities.

Also keep in mind Houston’s metro has over 4 million more people than Greater Las Vegas, so it’s only natural you’ll get greater skews, especially amongst foreign born.

Thanks for sharing, makes me feel better about my original statement of having similar demographics, I knew my eyes weren’t failing me.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:13 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,278,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Which city is more international?Houston or Las Vegas?
Use your own metric(s)

Use your own metric(s)?
So in other words this is more along the lines which metro does one prefer......

Old 09-10-2018, 04:26 PM

923 posts, read 664,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Lol the OP is so mad that Atlanta lost in the last poll (the question being which is more international of Atlanta and Houston), he made an entirely new thread to try to bring down Houston. But the results of both polls speak for themselves.

First of all, As Above is an actual aviation expert and consultant. I work in the same industry and can tell you without a doubt that international O&D numbers that come straight from the airlines are a far more accurate assessment of visitor activity than the handwavy data that comes from Chambers of Commerce with an interest in making their numbers look as good as possible.

Secondly, Las Vegas is a much better comparison than Atlanta with Houston when talking about which metro is more internationally oriented. But let's be real. Even though LV has more international visitors, it's a largely DOMESTIC tourist town. Of course there are international visitors to LV, but they are a drop in the bucket compared to domestic visitors.

In LV, with respect to both visitors and residents, they are both far more likely to be domestic than they are in Houston. Again, there is no doubt Vegas is a bigger tourist draw overall, but it has a smaller and less diverse international visitor profile than Houston when compared to the massive amount of domestic visitors it gets.

Thirdly, if the measure of a metro's international profile was purely international visitors, places like Abu Dhabi and Edinburgh would be viewed as more international than somewhere like Chicago, for example. In terms of diversity, international influence, and connection to international markets and the world economy, Abu Dhabi and Edinburgh aren't close to Chicago just like Las Vegas and Atlanta aren't close to Houston there. The idea of name recognition is silly and false. People may know more from a pop culture perspective about somewhere like Vegas but I've never met a traveler from another country who didn't know about Houston. The idea that people in foreign countries aren't familiar with it is a false narrative engendered primarily by this site. Houston, to this day, is still viewed by many as the center of the worldwide space industry. Hell, I just met a dude in Barranquilla yesterday who just left San Antonio after spending years in Houston. It has no issues with worldwide name recognition.

Sorry OP, Houston wins. Next thread you try this, may I suggest Chicago or Miami or Boston if you want a less one-sided poll/discussion?

Thanks for the entertainment on my layover.

For extra credit, name me a cultural contribution from any of Vegas's immigrant communities on the same level as Viet-Cajun seafood, which originated in the Houston area. I'll wait. International influence goes way beyond "x city has more tourists than y city".
Sure...lol
Meanwhile that thread for the first time has been silent for over a day since my last post proving what you were WRONG.
The poll had nothing to do with anything that I was arguing about but keep trying to divert the fact that many of you posters from Houston have an unreal since of self importance that is mind boggling.
I prefer Houston over Las Vegas because it more of my style but Houston would fall very low on my list of cities other than where I have chosen to live

Old 09-10-2018, 05:51 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,051 times
Foreign Consulates

Houston 78
Las Vegas 18

Houston is clearly more international in most metrics. CD forum content is garbage.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:10 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
What about Orlando?Its a smaller metro.
I just dont understand how anyone could think Houston is known more around the world than Las Vegas because there are more foreign airlines.That doesnt make sense to me.

It makes perfect sense. Having more foreign carriers means there is strong demand from abroad. Point of sale from abroad is heavily skewed towards foreign carriers which is a good barometer on how much a US city attracts foreign visitors. There are over 20 foreign airlines in Houston so that is a strong indicator that the city is a magnet for foreign visitors (skewed on the business side obviously)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City