Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Scranton PA or Youngstown OH?
Scranton 15 50.00%
Youngstown 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:45 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,486,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I dunno about which one I prefer, but Scranton is in better shape overall, and has a more positive outlook.

Scranton has bottomed out in terms of its population decline. Although it lost nearly half of its population, dropping from 143,000 to 77,000, the decline slowed in the 2000s down to 0.4%, and the city is projected to gain population this decade. This is almost certainly due to the same dynamic that have stopped population declines Allentown, the Poconos, and Hazleton - Latinos moving from NYC. Back in 2010 Scranton didn't yet have any majority-Latino neighborhoods, but I'm guessing it will come 2020 on its South Side.

In contrast, Youngstown's population decline was still in double-digits in terms of percentage in the 2000s, and although it's slowed down, it's still losing today.

Another aspect is blight. For a city that lost nearly half it's population, Scranton really doesn't have much in the way of what you'd call blight. Seriously - take a google satellite view tour around the residential neighborhoods of Scranton and Youngstown, and you will see a big difference. Scranton has a couple neighborhoods with scattered empty lots, but you won't find any residential neighborhood which has 50%+ vacant lots.

I also think University of Scranton is better tied into the urban fabric of the city than Youngstown State is for Youngstown. The lack of any highways definitely helps. Plus Scranton has a second private college (Lackawanna College) on the northern fringe of its downtown, along with a small med school.

That said, Scranton has its challenges. I certainly don't expect it will become a "hip" area any time soon. Still, it's basically a stable small city, whereas Youngstown is far from stabilized.
I'm curious: What is it about these PA cities that attracts Latinos out of NYC? Are there new or expanded industries that promise better jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 09:11 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,858,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I'm curious: What is it about these PA cities that attracts Latinos out of NYC? Are there new or expanded industries that promise better jobs?
Cheap housing, presence of at least okay bus transit, and a relatively quick commute back to family in NYC as needed. They mostly work low-wage entry-level jobs in things like food service and healthcare. The pay isn't much lower than in NYC, but with the COL being so much lower they really end up with a better standard of living.

A lot of people are moving directly from Puerto Rico to these cities as well now, but usually it's because they have family in the area already who came by way of NYC.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:27 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,216,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Both are overlooked post industrial cities with their share of issues. But I also feel like both have a lot of good to build on too. I haven't lived in either, but would be interested to hear from people who have. Where would you rather live? Which has a brighter future? Why?
1. Scranton
2. Scranton
3. Because Youngstown is hell on earth...though I still love my hometown

Old 09-14-2018, 06:32 PM

91,959 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Cheap housing, presence of at least okay bus transit, and a relatively quick commute back to family in NYC as needed. They mostly work low-wage entry-level jobs in things like food service and healthcare. The pay isn't much lower than in NYC, but with the COL being so much lower they really end up with a better standard of living.

A lot of people are moving directly from Puerto Rico to these cities as well now, but usually it's because they have family in the area already who came by way of NYC.
A short article about this from a while back: Photo Essay: The Majority Minority |

Old 09-15-2018, 10:38 AM

701 posts, read 1,420,521 times
Plus, Scranton has Dunder Mifflin.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:34 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,216,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
Plus, Scranton has Dunder Mifflin.
Ha! True.

But remember Pam and Jim were going to drive to Youngstown to get married but decided against it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City