Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minneapolis or Pittsburgh
Minneapolis 108 59.34%
Pittsburgh 74 40.66%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 04:33 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,494,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
RE: crime, looking at the "violent crime" category, the FBI's 2015 MSA numbers show Mpls to have a slightly higher rate than Pgh: 285.2/100k inhabs for Minneapolis vs. 266.3/100k inhabs for Pittsburgh. (I didn't crunch all categories, tho)

RE: toll roads, the Minneapolis/St Paul MSA has none (except a few HOV lanes on some freeways)
Pittsburgh has twice the murder rate though, and more murders overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 06:10 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverinthecold View Post
I would guess the music scenes are about evenly matched. I'm sure both cities get all the big concerts and the indie scene is going to be largely defined by personal preference.

Minneapolis will win on the live theater and (probably) comedy fronts though. Hard to beat Minneapolis there unless your name is NYC or Chicago.
Care to expand upon that a bit?

Old 07-13-2019, 06:48 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,021,313 times
I'm sure Minneapolis is nice but there's no way I could live there for 2 reasons - the cold and the location. I'll easily take Pittsburgh for a variety of other reasons (terrain, architecture, for example) but the fact that it is milder and close to a lot of other cool areas - it wins this one for me, easily. I don't think I'm being a nearby homer either. If I lived in Pittsburgh, I am 2-3 hours away from a lot of great stuff: other cities, the Allegheny mountains, amish country, whitewater rafting, skiing, old mountain towns and river towns. Then I up the radius to 5 hours and I can hit DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York state.

If you're at a point in your life where you take weekend overnight trips, give me Pittsburgh over Minneapolis.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:02 AM

3,814 posts, read 3,973,531 times
Minneapolis. Pennsylvania is too backwards of a state for me.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:31 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,494,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Minneapolis. Pennsylvania is too backwards of a state for me.
Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and their suburbs are extremely different from the rest of the state in nearly every way imaginable. Hell, Illinois is a backwards state but you never hear about people avoiding Chicago because it's in a backwards state.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:54 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Pennsylvania is too backwards of a state for me.
I'd love to hear exactly why.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:50 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,736,229 times
what the hell is a backwards state? I always see this but it has no meaning. yeah states have weird laws - every single one of them. PA could definitely do better in attracting new business but backwards is a term that makes no sense.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:08 PM

50 posts, read 38,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Care to expand upon that a bit?
The old urban legend was that Minneapolis had the most theater seats per capita outside of NYC. And while I think that's been firmly debunked or at the very least proven unquantifiable, there's some nugget of truth in there. The Twin Cities are very much known as theatre cities.

We have the Hennepin Theatre District lined with the Broadway show houses: The State, The Pantages, and The Orpheum. Plus Brave New Workshop and the Cowles Dance Center.

And that doesn't include the world renowned multi-stage Guthrie complex overlooking the river. The list of actors and actresses that have cut their teeth at the Guthrie for 50+ years is astounding. And Acme Comedy Club has long been considered one of the best comedy clubs in the country for standup.

We also have some very well known smaller, more experimental theaters with longevity as well like the Mixed Blood, Penumbra, the Jungle and also the Southern.

I haven't even mentioned the massive Ordway Center which houses more Broadway shows and Opera over in St. Paul (yes, it's not technically Minneapolis, but to us it's all "The Cities") or The Children's Theatre.

Even if we're not third (there's probably no objective way to determine this anyway), we're still pretty hard to beat on the theatre front.

That's not to say Pittsburgh isn't a very good theatre city. It clearly is. And though I've never seen a show there, you guys also have a dedicated district with multiple theaters as well. Always a major plus.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:44 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,965,629 times
Quote:
I would guess the music scenes are about evenly matched. I'm sure both cities get all the big concerts and the indie scene is going to be largely defined by personal preference.
There are sites like pollstar.com that would help answer this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityrising View Post
lol! Love being asked “source” for opinionated questions. These aren’t quantifiable questions.
lol!

Old 07-14-2019, 08:42 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
The old urban legend was that Minneapolis had the most theater seats per capita outside of NYC. And while I think that's been firmly debunked or at the very least proven unquantifiable, there's some nugget of truth in there. The Twin Cities are very much known as theatre cities.

We have the Hennepin Theatre District lined with the Broadway show houses: The State, The Pantages, and The Orpheum. Plus Brave New Workshop and the Cowles Dance Center.

And that doesn't include the world renowned multi-stage Guthrie complex overlooking the river. The list of actors and actresses that have cut their teeth at the Guthrie for 50+ years is astounding. And Acme Comedy Club has long been considered one of the best comedy clubs in the country for standup.

We also have some very well known smaller, more experimental theaters with longevity as well like the Mixed Blood, Penumbra, the Jungle and also the Southern.

I haven't even mentioned the massive Ordway Center which houses more Broadway shows and Opera over in St. Paul (yes, it's not technically Minneapolis, but to us it's all "The Cities") or The Children's Theatre.

Even if we're not third (there's probably no objective way to determine this anyway), we're still pretty hard to beat on the theatre front.

That's not to say Pittsburgh isn't a very good theatre city. It clearly is. And though I've never seen a show there, you guys also have a dedicated district with multiple theaters as well. Always a major plus.
As does Denver, where I live now. In fact, we have the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District, a tax which supports theater (and other arts and science facilities) throughout the metro.
Scientific and Cultural Facilities District

My daughter lives in St. Paul; I'm pretty familiar with that area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City