Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rockford or Montgomery?
Rockford 14 53.85%
Montgomery 12 46.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 08:40 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,460,082 times

Advertisements

Which one of these small cities wins based on

-Employment opportunities
-Brighter future
-Cost of living
-walkability
-Neighborhoods
-central business district
-weather
-crime
-recreational opportunities
-street activity
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 09:02 AM

955 posts, read 612,847 times
Two great cities!

Employment opportunities: Neither
Brighter future: Rockford
Cost of living: Montgomery
Walkability: Rockford
Neighborhoods: Rockford
Central business district: Rockford
Weather: Montgomery
Crime: Definitely NOT Rockford
Recreational opportunities: Tie
Street activity: Umm tie

Closer than I expected but I will go with Rockford!

Old 12-29-2020, 09:29 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,962 times
A lot of people get down on Rockford, but it actually has a pretty neat downtown and park system, as well as leafy neighborhoods with interesting architecture. The biggest problem is that crime is terrible in parts of the city.

I've never been to Montgomery so I can't really compare, but I would imagine the opportunities for white collar workers are better in Montgomery due to it being the state capital. Blue collar workers are probably better off in Rockford due to the all of the manufacturing jobs and higher wages relative to the South.

The main thing Rockford has going for it is that it sits at the intersection of two major interstates, I-39 and I-90, so I can see the logistics sector really take off; Amazon recently built a hub at the Rockford airport. It is also a destination for people from Chicago looking for cheap homes and rent, which may help the downtown revitalize further. The downside is that it is in Illinois.

Will be interested to hear about that state of the economy in Montgomery.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:37 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,748,263 times
Never been to Rockford but Montgomery is super underwhelming compared to other Alabama cities like Birmingham, Huntsville, and Mobile. Its Downtown is small with nice museums but its historic neighborhoods are neglected and its university campus isn't very inviting with old crumbling dorm buildings and ugly parking lots scattered throughout. Montgomery is in a great location with Atlanta, Columbus/Auburn, and Birmingham nearby but doesn't stand out much as a strong city on its own.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:41 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
Is there an option for neither?

Old 12-29-2020, 09:54 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
I'm much more familiar with Montgomery than I am with Rockford - with that said...

-Employment opportunities - Montgomery, being the state capital gives its economy more stability, it's not as dependent on the ebbs and flows. There is also a lot of manufacturing (particularly automotive) in the Montgomery area and along the I-85 corridor going into Georgia. Auburn/Opelika is also within commuting distance.
-Brighter future - Montgomery for the same reason
-Cost of living - Montgomery easily
-walkability - I'm guessing it's a draw here
-Neighborhoods - Montgomery has great neighborhoods - Cloverdale/Idlewild, Old Cloverdale, McGehee/Allendale, even Dalraida is nice
-central business district - I don't know anything about Rockford's downtown, but Montgomery's is almost completely based around state government - it very much shuts down at 5pm
-weather - Montgomery easily as I can't stand cold weather
-crime - Neither city is great in this regard, but Montgomery is not particularly bad compared to other Southern cities of its size
-recreational opportunities - Montgomery has easy access to many state parks, lakes, and rivers.
-street activity - I think both cities are too small to have real "street activity" like what you'd see in major cities

Old 12-29-2020, 10:42 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,523,945 times
-Employment opportunities - Montgomery
-Brighter future - Montgomery
-Cost of living - Montgomery (buying Power)
-walkability - Don't know
-Neighborhoods - Montgomery
-central business district - Overall, Rockford
-weather - Montgomery
-crime - Montgomery
-recreational opportunities - Tie
-street activity - Tie

I wouldn't want to live in either. But if I had to pick, I'd go with Montgomery

Old 12-29-2020, 03:49 PM

223 posts, read 171,000 times
Rockford is better because there is a lot of new things opening up in Rockford.
Montgomery has better weather.
Rockford is closer to major cities like Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Davenport.
In both cities there are malls, museums and an airport.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:08 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Well, Rockford does have the Phantom Regiment, so that's a big thumb-up for me. I'd just hang out and watch them practice every weekend. But for everything else, Montgomery gets the nod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTU3HF8ptuw

Old 12-29-2020, 06:56 PM

9,685 posts, read 9,406,200 times
Employment opportunities: None
-Brighter future: Rockford based on proximity to Chicago
-Cost of living: Montgomery
-walkability: Rockford
-Neighborhoods: Rockford
-central business district: Rockford feels bigger while Montgomery feels much smaller than expected.
-weather: Montgomery
-crime: Rockford
-recreational opportunities: Montgomery is close to rolling hills and lakes.
-street activity: Rockford

I would choose Rockford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City