Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minneapolis or Pittsburgh
Minneapolis 108 59.34%
Pittsburgh 74 40.66%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:57 PM

505 posts, read 577,407 times

Advertisements

Hey CD,

I'm planning a trip to Pittsburgh and Minneapolis to scope them both out as potential relocation spots out of Las Vegas.

Which city is colder?
Which one is better for live rock/heavy metal music, culture, nightlife, theater, art galleries, museums, social events?
Major university for events?
Strong, diverse economy?
Strong sense of community/nice people?
Less crime?
Cleaner air?
Better doctors?
Schools?
Most educated?
Do both have toll roads?
Cigarette bans?

I like Pittsburgh's location for road trips and being close to major east coast cities. Minneapolis seems a bit land locked.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 10:36 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,486,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
Hey CD,

I'm planning a trip to Pittsburgh and Minneapolis to scope them both out as potential relocation spots out of Las Vegas.

Which city is colder? Minneapolis, by far
Which one is better for live rock/heavy metal music, culture, nightlife, theater, art galleries, museums, social events?Very similar. Pgh's about 1/2 the size of Mpls. (metros) but both have impressive cultural offerings.
Major university for events? Again, very similar. UM is huge but Pitt & CMU also offer lots of various events (cultural, sports, etc.)
Strong, diverse economy? Mpls, but Pgh's coming back economically
Strong sense of community/nice people? Great people in both, IME. Both very friendly, down to earth
Less crime? You can look up the stats. Both have gang violence but relatively lower than peer cities. I feel safe in both.
Cleaner air? Minneapolis, despite Pgh's large scale desertion by the steel industry.
Better doctors?Hard to say, but both have top rated hospitals
Schools? City districts only: pretty even. Lots of top rated suburban districts in Mpls; some in Pgh too, but also some suburban districts that are among the worst in the state.
Most educated? Minneapolis
Do both have toll roads? Neither (unless you count the PA Turnpike that skirts Pgh.)
Cigarette bans? Mpls yes (statewide regulation), not sure about Pgh

I like Pittsburgh's location for road trips and being close to major east coast cities. Minneapolis seems a bit land locked. I agree, but Mpls. has some good road trip destinations too, though a bit farther: (Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Duluth, Door County WI, 10,000 lakes, North Shore Lake Superior, Boundary Waters Canoe area, Voyageurs National Park, Thunder Bay, Ont.

Thanks for your input.
I'm very familiar with both. Responses above.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:36 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,736,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I'm very familiar with both. Responses above.

A couple quick corrections,

On the metro size ,Twin cities is 3.6 mil and Pgh is about 2.4 mil, so its not really close to twice as big (that would be 4.8 mil). Both have a lot of cultural offerings

Pgh air quality is often disputed as measured because the location of the many samples is just downstream of an industrial plant (which there aren't many of anymore). But probably Mpls is cleaner air despite this.

Pgh does have tolls roads, the PA turnpike (I-76), Mon-Fayette Expressway, the Findlay connector (I-576), and Beaver Valley Expressway (I-376)

Not sure that Minneapolis is more highly educated - it might depend on the specific factors (include associates and bachelor's or not?). But both are in the top tier of US metros I'm pretty sure.

Pgh has some bars that are grandfathered in, where smoking is still permitted but most are not.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:32 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,889,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post

On the metro size ,Twin cities is 3.6 mil and Pgh is about 2.4 mil, so its not really close to twice as big (that would be 4.8 mil). Both have a lot of cultural offerings

Pgh air quality is often disputed as measured because the location of the many samples is just downstream of an industrial plant (which there aren't many of anymore). But probably Mpls is cleaner air despite this.

Pgh does have tolls roads, the PA turnpike (I-76), Mon-Fayette Expressway, the Findlay connector (I-576), and Beaver Valley Expressway (I-376)

Not sure that Minneapolis is more highly educated - it might depend on the specific factors (include associates and bachelor's or not?). But both are in the top tier of US metros I'm pretty sure.

Pgh has some bars that are grandfathered in, where smoking is still permitted but most are not.
Most of these are 20-30 miles outside of the city. The Turnpike is relatively close, but in seven years in Pittsburgh, I have never used the turnpike unless I was taking a road trip. It's not a part of daily life for most in the region. I have literally never been on any of those other roads.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:50 AM

4,357 posts, read 4,185,841 times
Which city is colder?:Minneapolis
Which one is better for live rock/heavy metal music, culture, nightlife, theater, art galleries, museums, social events?
Minneapolis
Major university for events?: I like Pittsburgh's universities better
Strong, diverse economy?: Minneapolis
Strong sense of community/nice people?: Both are pretty good
Less crime?: Minneapolis
Cleaner air?: Minneapolis
Better doctors?: Probably Pittsburgh
Schools?: Not sure
Most educated?: Both are pretty educated, depends on the sector.
Do both have toll roads?: I believe Minneapolis does. Can't remember for sure.
Cigarette bans?: Not sure, but I'm fairly certain Pittsburgh has more smokers.

Personally I prefer Minneapolis to Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Turnerbro; 09-12-2018 at 12:09 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post

On the metro size ,Twin cities is 3.6 mil and Pgh is about 2.4 mil, so its not really close to twice as big (that would be 4.8 mil). .
Yes, you are correct.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Which city is colder?:Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Major university for events?: I like Pittsburgh's universities better
Strong, diverse economy?: Minneapolis
Strong sense of community/nice people?: Both are pretty good
Less crime?: Minneapolis
Cleaner air?: Minneapolis
Better doctors?: Probably Pittsburgh
Schools?: Not sure
Most educated?: Both are pretty educated, depends on the sector.
Do both have toll roads?: I believe Minneapolis does. Can't remember for sure.
Cigarette bans?: Not sure, but I'm fairly certain Pittsburgh has more smokers.

Personally I prefer Minneapolis to Pittsburgh.
RE: crime, looking at the "violent crime" category, the FBI's 2015 MSA numbers show Mpls to have a slightly higher rate than Pgh: 285.2/100k inhabs for Minneapolis vs. 266.3/100k inhabs for Pittsburgh. (I didn't crunch all categories, tho)

RE: toll roads, the Minneapolis/St Paul MSA has none (except a few HOV lanes on some freeways)

Old 09-13-2018, 10:13 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,736,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Most of these are 20-30 miles outside of the city. The Turnpike is relatively close, but in seven years in Pittsburgh, I have never used the turnpike unless I was taking a road trip. It's not a part of daily life for most in the region. I have literally never been on any of those other roads.

Yeah, it doesn't affect a ton of people much, but could depending on where you live vs where you commute/ travel most. The Turnpike is also a lot more expensive now, so even on road trips it can be an issue for anyone without much cash to spare.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:58 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,965,629 times
Which city is colder? Minneapolis
Which one is better for live rock/heavy metal music, culture, nightlife, theater, art galleries, museums, social events? Minneapolis
Major university for events? Pittsburgh
Strong, diverse economy? Minneapolis
Strong sense of community/nice people? Pittsburgh
Less crime? Pittsburgh
Cleaner air? Minneapolis
Better doctors? Minneapolis
Schools? Minneapolis
Most educated? Both are very educated cities / metros
Do both have toll roads? Not sure
Cigarette bans? Not sure

Overall, Minneapolis

Old 09-13-2018, 12:17 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,889,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Which city is colder? Minneapolis
Which one is better for live rock/heavy metal music, culture, nightlife, theater, art galleries, museums, social events? Minneapolis
Major university for events? Pittsburgh
Strong, diverse economy? Minneapolis
Strong sense of community/nice people? Pittsburgh
Less crime? Pittsburgh
Cleaner air? Minneapolis
Better doctors? Minneapolis
Schools? Minneapolis
Most educated? Both are very educated cities / metros
Do both have toll roads? Not sure
Cigarette bans? Not sure

Overall, Minneapolis
Unless you’re giving Minneapolis credit for the Mayo Clinic, which is about 90 miles away, Pittsburgh hospitals are more highly regarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City