Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vancouver vs Minneapolis
Vancouver 75 70.09%
Minneapolis 32 29.91%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 10:41 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,279,828 times

Advertisements

I know these two cities are in completely different countries, but this seems like a solid apples to apples comparison. I'm wondering which do you think is better overall. Here's some criteria to consider.

1. Downtown
2. Walkability
3. Bars/Resturaunts
4. Transportation car and public
5. Scenery
6. Climate
7. Suburbs
8. Outdoor activities
9. Economy
10. Architecture
11. Shopping
12. Where would you rather live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 11:01 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,843,744 times
If you multiply MSP's highrise apartments x10, quintuple the Asian influence, put it on the coast with some mountains in the near-background, and delete some of the US influences, then sure.

I like MSP but love and admire Vancouver.

My numbers are illustrative, not accurate btw.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:08 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I know these two cities are in completely different countries, but this seems like a solid apples to apples comparison. I'm wondering which do you think is better overall. Here's some criteria to consider.

1. Downtown
2. Walkability
3. Bars/Resturaunts
4. Transportation car and public
5. Scenery
6. Climate
7. Suburbs
8. Outdoor activities
9. Economy
10. Architecture
11. Shopping
12. Where would you rather live?
Have you been to both cities? It’s not apples to apples. Vancouver is the third densest city in North America and is so much more vibrant. Vancouver wins easily for everything except maybe suburbs, economy, and architecture (those categories are closer). Vancouver is so much denser, more urban and more cosmopolitan that it’s not really a fair comparison.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:19 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,279,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Have you been to both cities? It’s not apples to apples. Vancouver is the third densest city in North America and is so much more vibrant. Vancouver wins easily for everything except maybe suburbs, economy, and architecture (those categories are closer). Vancouver is so much denser, more urban and more cosmopolitan that it’s not really a fair comparison.
I have not been to Vancouver but plan to visit next year. Why do you think Vancouver wins easily?

Old 09-12-2018, 11:41 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,447 times
Quote:
I have not been to Vancouver but plan to visit next year. Why do you think Vancouver wins easily?
It just has much more of a big city feel. The downtown area is much bigger, denser, more vibrant, and has a lot more foot traffic. It’s also much more international - there’s a huge Asian and European influence compared to Minneapolis. You hear a lot more foreign languages. The public transit in Vancouver is in a completely different league.

A few stats:

Density:
Vancouver - 14.5K people per square mile
Minneapolis - 7.5K people per square mile

High-rise buildings (according to Emporis.com):
Vancouver - ~700
Minneapolis - ~300

Rail ridership:
Vancouver: ~500K daily riders
Minneapolis: ~75K daily riders

Old 09-12-2018, 11:57 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
Beyond density, highrise apartments, and rail ridership...

The climates are totally different. Vancouver is kind of a Seattle-north. Same grey winter, just a couple of degrees cooler in both winter and summer than Seattle. Vancouver is right up against nature, the mountains are up close and personal.

Minneapolis is more of a corporate city than Vancouver, and the downtown reflects that. While Vancouver is certainly more residentially dense and offers more downtown retail and eateries, Minneapolis is more of a business center than Vancouver.

Cost of living is definitely advantage Minneapolis, even without factoring in the favorable US exchange rate.

Both cities are quite tolerant and tend to be liberal, but Vancouver has a much more diverse population.

I think this comparison is a bit odd, but perhaps from a population standpoint there are similarities. Beyond that I can't think of many similarities.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:05 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Curious as to what you mean about the suburbs.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:12 AM

I haven't been to Minneapolis. I can only judge from photos and videos. To me it reminds more of a prairie city like Calgary...but farther from the mountains.

This looks like a nice place to visit though. To live...well..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNXk-nKW5sI

Last edited by Natnasci; 09-13-2018 at 12:24 AM..

Old 09-13-2018, 12:20 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
You'll see when you get there.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
What month? Coming in November, is a different experience than coming in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City