Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Has the Brightest Future
Cleveland 50 61.73%
Buffalo 31 38.27%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 07:52 AM

4,997 posts, read 3,836,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It’s a perfectly acceptable opinion here to say DC is a Northeastern city but it’s practically heresy to say Pittsburgh or Buffalo are Midwestern although Buffalo is just as close to the Midwest/NE border as DC is to the North.

Buffalo is more similar to Toledo, Milwaukee, Ft Wayne etc than Providence, Portland, Even Albany. It’s not absurd to consider it Midwestern.
While I don't disagree, Buffalo and Cleveland share more in common with Manchester or Providence than they do Omaha or Des Moine. Columbus on the other hand, to me, shares more in common with Indianapolis and Kansas City than it does Boston or Portland. So, to categorize by Northeast/Midwest is hard.. Rust Belt has a lot to do with that.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:21 AM

11,044 posts, read 12,306,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
While I don't disagree, Buffalo and Cleveland share more in common with Manchester or Providence than they do Omaha or Des Moine. Columbus on the other hand, to me, shares more in common with Indianapolis and Kansas City than it does Boston or Portland. So, to categorize by Northeast/Midwest is hard.. Rust Belt has a lot to do with that.
Good observation, totally agree. I have never really liked the term "midwest" due to its vagueness.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:50 AM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
There are things in Buffalo that would be wildly out of place in Boston or Providence.

Like Grain Elevators and Silos dominate the Riverfront because Buffalo was once the center on a massive distribution system of foodstuffs entering the Northeast from the Midwest. And Cheerios are still made there.

“Industrial Agriculture” is also a staple industry of Des Moines.

Not saying they are identical but there are a lot of links to the Midwest in Buffalo.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:04 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,902,464 times
Quote:
Quick note 2nd largest Theatre Districts=/= 2nd largest Theatre Complex, Cleveland has the latter but not the former. However it’s still more than most if not all of its peers.
Well playhouse square is a theater district with the 2nd largest performing arts center in the u.s. and has the largest broadway season ticket holder base in the country.

What is the 2nd largest theater district? Buffalo?

Last edited by Kamms; 09-27-2018 at 11:25 AM..

Old 09-27-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Well playhouse square is a theater district with the 2nd largest performing arts center in the u.s.

What is the 2nd largest theater district?
Boston has 10/11 theatres depending on your definition of the district, but unlike Cleveland the largest “complex” is two. So there is 9 different operators vs 9 theaters 1 operator.

I am also seeing 10 in Philly. 3 in the Kimnel Center, then 7 others.

Also by seats I think Houston is #2 but they also have 9 theatres and again I think the largest complex is two.

Chicago is famous for its Theaters but I don’t actually know how concentrated they are.

Again all much larger than Cleveland which exceeds its peers probably universally.

Last edited by btownboss4; 09-27-2018 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-27-2018, 12:13 PM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Architecture - I like Buffalo's architecture better whether on the neighborhood basis or singular works. Cleveland has some fine works and neighborhoods as well, but I just like Buffalo's better.

Downtown - Downtown itself should easily go to Cleveland. Buffalo's downtown has great adjacent neighborhoods and a nicer contiguous walkable core, but that's not downtown per se. Both of them have some real large surface parking lots that take away from them and it's too bad that so many buildings were demolished for what were formerly very densely built and bustling downtowns.

Arts scene - Probably Cleveland as it's much bigger and has that massive theater complex.

Future - Both have seen a lot of reinvestment in the last several years and those trajectories continued especially in and around their downtowns. Buffalo actually has a decent chance of posting a slight net gain in population in the 2020 census (compared to the 2010), and it looks like Cleveland has at least hit an inflection point so it's looking good for Cleveland to post net gains pretty soon. I'd say the future is looking up for both of them.

Urbanity - Buffalo right now for its large contiguous walkable area. Cleveland has more nodes as a larger city.

Brand - Cleveland is definitely more well known, so just by that alone its brand is somewhat better.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:11 PM

1,866 posts, read 1,410,638 times
Quote:
Boston has 10/11 theatres depending on your definition of the district, but unlike Cleveland the largest “complex” is two. So there is 9 different operators vs 9 theaters 1 operator.

Also by seats I think Houston is #2 but they also have 9 theatres and again I think the largest complex is two.

Chicago is famous for its Theaters but I don’t actually know how concentrated they are.

Again all much larger than Cleveland which exceeds its peers probably universally.
Typical Bostonian always dissing Cleveland every chance you get get lol. Sorry, we're not hip, cool and trendy touristy Boston.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Typical Bostonian always dissing Cleveland every chance you get get lol. Sorry, we're not hip, cool and trendy touristy Boston.
I didn’t realize correcting misleading statements is dissing.

Cleveland Cooperative vs Competitive district is probably why it’s so big and vibrant. So I actually think the Playhouse sq Model is actually great.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:52 PM

11,044 posts, read 12,306,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
A couple things:
- a typical Bostonian doesn't think of Cleveland at all, unless the Sox are playing the Indians (hopefully in a couple weeks).
- Boston is usually viewed as the least hip of the major cities on the eastern seaboard. Most people think that Providence is more fun than Boston.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:57 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,902,464 times
Quote:

Sorry, but it was “districts”. I stated earlier that cities with theaters throughout a city don’t count. Playhouse house has at least 11,000-12,000 seats.

Your previous post refuted playhouse square ranking; this post states that you’re now just looking it up. Musta been because you see Cleveland having the #2 theater district in the u.s. and refuse to accept this (for whatever reason). chicago has lots of theaters, but not over 10,000 seats in an area of about a block or so.

Philly does have the stand alone kümmel center with 3,150 seats with a couple other nearby theaters but nothing matching the size of playhouse square in Cleveland.

What is the name of Houston’s theater district you just became familiar with and how many seats in excess of the 11,000+ Cleveland’s district has? What is buffalos count in its theater district?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City