Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you prefer?
Vancouver, BC 58 72.50%
Denver, CO 22 27.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 10:30 AM

345 posts, read 803,459 times

Advertisements

based on:

quality of life
economy
nightlife
scenery
daytime activities/events
shopping/entertainment venues
transportation
overall vibe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 10:51 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,238,746 times
Denver

Old 09-25-2018, 11:02 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,436,784 times
Never been to Vancouver but it’s on my list of places to visit. Curious what the forum thinks.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:42 AM

641 posts, read 1,007,122 times
I lived in Denver for several years, I've never lived in Vancouver but I have visited plenty. I prefer Vancouver, BC for several reasons. The weather IMO is better. I love how the mountains are so close and combined with smokey looking clouds and the lush green forests contrasted with the glass and steel high-rises all over the city, it makes for a surreal setting. I prefer the compact built environment of Vancouver and the overall urbanity/density is in a whole different league. Denver has decent density and several walkable neighborhoods, but for me it isn't a very close comparison.

There are great things that I love about Denver, but there isn't much that Denver offers that Vancouver can't at least match.

The things that Denver does offer are sports (football), so many fire Mexican restaurants. Vancouver has Denver beat in Asian cuisine, but I'll take Mexican over Asian 9/10 times. Red Rocks amphitheater is another very unique and desirable point of interest in the area. There are times when the low humidity on the front range makes for great summer nights.

While Denver is getting more expensive, Vancouver is absolutely over-priced imo. Right now the average 1br in Vancouver is $2,020 while in Cheesman Park, my old stomping grounds is at $1,835. Not a wicked big gap, but $200 a month might be significant to some people.

OP's criteria:

quality of life - Vancouver/subjective
economy - not sure
nightlife - Not a priority for me.
Scenery - Vancouver by a decent amount
daytime activities/events - Vancouver
entertainment venues - Denver, it's hard to beat Red Rocks
shopping - see nightlife
transportation - Skytrain beats RTD light rail by a lot, imo. LTR in Denver isn't really for the neighborhoods at all, it's great for commuting though.
overall vibe - Vancouver

Old 09-25-2018, 11:45 AM

34,106 posts, read 18,343,082 times
Damn, now this is a close one. Denver, but just by a very, very slight margin, just because I like a dryer climate. If you ask me tomorrow, I might say Vancouver. When I lived in Denver, I still use to go to Whistler/Blackcomb occasionally. lol. The nice thing about Vancouver is you have the ocean, AND the mountains. Jeez, maybe I need to change my vote!

Old 09-25-2018, 11:59 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,841,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Damn, now this is a close one. Denver, but just by a very, very slight margin, just because I like a dryer climate. If you ask me tomorrow, I might say Vancouver. When I lived in Denver, I still use to go to Whistler/Blackcomb occasionally. lol. The nice thing about Vancouver is you have the ocean, AND the mountains. Jeez, maybe I need to change my vote!
The water element is what does it, for me.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:04 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Vancouver takes most of the criteria accept Economy and perhaps nightlife/Entertainment venues. I haven't had the chance to visit Vancouver, but it's on my list. Very beautiful. I will say that I think I’d prefer Denver though because of the culture, demographics and cost of living.

Last edited by Mezter; 09-25-2018 at 12:26 PM..

Old 09-25-2018, 12:35 PM

34,106 posts, read 18,343,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
The water element is what does it, for me.
That is a big one for sure. I'm really on the fence on this one. I've lived in Denver, but never lived in Vancouver, but have been there a lot. Still, not the same thing I know.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:26 PM

8,735 posts, read 6,657,018 times
This is Vancouver vs. Minneapolis all over again. Vancouver is on a very different level in terms of urbanity, transit, diversity, etc.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:48 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,836,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
This is Vancouver vs. Minneapolis all over again. Vancouver is on a very different level in terms of urbanity, transit, diversity, etc.
Absolutely.

Denver is a fine city with great upside. But, this is not even close. Vancouver is world class. Denver is merely a fast growing American city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City