Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Looking People: Seattle VS Vancouver BC
Seattle 13 43.33%
Vancouver BC 17 56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 01:35 PM

676 posts, read 647,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLonsdale View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but two points worth considering:

1) Vancouver is a Pacific Rim city. Seattle is a Pacific Northwest city. That can make a difference in terms of fashion/apparel choices.

2) Cultural protocols are different. If you work in downtown Vancouver, you own an umbrella and an overcoat (well, unless you work in tech or movie industry, I guess). Goretex is mostly frowned upon. Seattle is more practical: I see fewer umbrellas, and more Goretex. Goretex is great for staying dry, but not carrying an umbrella runs the risk of more "bad hair days".
1) I actually really like that take. As someone who travels back and forth frequently and is a big fan of both cities, I can see it. Seattle has a bit of that international "Pac Rim City" flavor as well - I think Portland is the true quintessential PNW city.

2) Gore-tex is beloved by most in Vancouver. It's not as fashionable of a city as one might assume given its more international flair. Seattle is better dressed, in both streetwear and formalwear. There is a small crowd of business elites and real estate folks that have sophisticated tastes in suiting and footwear in Vancouver, but it is a sliver. Most office-workers don the moderately-stylish "I tried" Dad combo: Arcteryx shell, collared shirt, slacks and Blundstones. This ain't NYC, London or Tokyo by any stretch of the imagination. I've seen much more "formal" business-attire in Seattle.

3) General appearance will depend on tastes, but if you prefer Asian women dressing and looking the way they generally do on Californian Instagram accounts, there will be much more of it in Vancouver. They seem to take the LA look as a model for how they want to appear, and this would be the Westernized set of Asians. There is a whole subset of non-Westernized Asian women that have an entirely different makeup/fashion look. The Caucasian women in Vancouver on the other hand look a bit average and plain (IMO, obviously), with the few who really try standing out much moreso because of the background blandness. Of course, some (many?) prefer this "natural" look so to each their own. Seattle from my observation will have more diversity in appearances and style among the non-Asian set.

4) And lastly... this is a shallow thread obviously, but I don't recall there being rules against this sort of comparison. People compare all kinds of silly qualitative metrics between cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 02:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
This video sums it up in regards to women in Vancouver. It's comedy people, just comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXQCABue8y8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City