Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 03:49 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,841,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
In a funny kind of way...you're actually right.

In all seriousness though, we understand both DC and Baltimore and their can and do function independently. Without the other one each would exist and function. Locals really don't care not to be associative with the other core area.

YET, with that said you can't tell me there is a negative to two adjacent metros combining to form a larger purpose and region, that could "pose" as one. Both could benefit from the other more, and Baltimore definitely could get a real shot in the arm with something like a Maglev train/Hyperloop, and additional companies going to its metro after being priced out of metro DC.

As different as we see these two core areas, it's no physically larger than many other single city metro/regions of the nation.
I have yet to find the positives to be honest. I don't see the larger purpose. I can try to see it from your side, so I get it, but being from Baltimore, it does more harm than good.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:49 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,400,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
It's still two different cities...you can't compare that to one.
I never do, I just normally state the fact that it should be respected as one poly centric CSA, which it is. Poster Gladhands seems to have a problem with this and refuses to acknowledge it, while disregarding the premise of the OP.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:51 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,843,733 times
Nothing has changed. The CSA still isn't bigger than Chicago's. In fact, Chicago's MSA is almost as large. The comparison just doesn't work, no matter how hard people try.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Nothing has changed. The CSA still isn't bigger than Chicago's. In fact, Chicago's MSA is almost as large. The comparison just doesn't work, no matter how hard people try.
The two MSA's combined are less than 500k short of Chicago's MSA. This is only using core counties of the adjacent touching metro areas. You do know that the CSA number inflates it to be basically equal to Chicago's CSA population, today. But I'm not even taking in all those extra Micropolitan areas added on the CSA.

Chicago's MSA is almost 11,000 sq miles and 9.5 million people

DC+ Baltimore MSA (Non CSA boundaries) is about 8,500 sq miles and 9 million people, today. And growing 10 times faster.

As far as comparisons go, I have long said this is apples to oranges, one is a single city metro, the other is poly centric, DC-Baltimore-NOVA.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:04 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,918,017 times
Once their metro areas combine, the Washington-Baltimore MSA will pass the Chicago MSA as well. I know Chicago posters don't want to hear this but your city won't be ranked 3rd for long.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:05 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,843,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Once their metro areas combine, the Washington-Baltimore MSA will pass the Chicago MSA as well.
If it takes two cities to equal one....

Old 10-04-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Once their metro areas combine, the Washington-Baltimore MSA will pass the Chicago MSA as well. I know Chicago posters don't want to hear this but your city won't be ranked 3rd for long.
Once?

Old 10-04-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I think Chicago is mighty and great, definitely more urban than all the above. However I think it is destined to completely drop out of the 3rd spot in each of the three MSA, CSA, and city proper.

Dallas will pass it in 25 years by MSA, no question. Houston by city in 5 years most likely, and CSA we might as well chalk up as pretty much done already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Once?

Yea I think the two MSA's will stay separate for a while, and should stay separate.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:19 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,918,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Once?
That's right. They will eventually combine into one MSA. Is it really that hard to imagine? The region's population continues to grow and commuting between the metro areas are also increasing. Their CSAs used to be separate at one point, now they're on the verge or becoming the 3rd largest CSA in the country by the 2020 Census.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
That's right. They will eventually combine into one MSA. Is it really that hard to imagine? Their CSAs used to be separate at one point, now they're on the verge or becoming the 3rd largest CSA in the country by the 2020 Census.
Yes, it is hard to imagine.

I don't feel like going into a deep conversation about it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City