Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 09:42 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
For Angelenos, There is no calling in sick on Tuesday to hit the slopes on Mammoth Mountain, six hours away from LA, either.

OK, better question would be, what if there were no resorts in Big Bear or Weight wood or Mount Baldy and the closest ski resort to Los Angeles was in fact Mammoth Mountain?
Irrelevant question altogether because they do exist whether one likes them or not. I still would pick LA, I really enjoy the different mountain ranges all around LA for more than just skiing just being able to get away while not going far wins for me. Not to mention la playas!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 09:47 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
For Angelenos, There is no calling in sick on Tuesday to hit the slopes on Mammoth Mountain, six hours away from LA, either.

OK, better question would be, what if there were no resorts in Big Bear or Weight wood or Mount Baldy and the closest ski resort to Los Angeles was in fact Mammoth Mountain?
And what if there were no flights out of Dallas to Colorado? I find these hypotheticals odd.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
Lol what a bizarre comparison. Even if Mammoth was the closest, I would still pick LA over Dallas. A 5-6 hour drive is still better than having to book a flight + rental car ($$$) every time I want to do my hobby. Even if you can't always take off work on a week day, you can still catch a weekend powder day anytime you want.

If you want to compare to city options for skiers that are cheaper and/or have less traffic than LA, how about SLC, Denver, Santa Fe, Sacremento, Reno, etc.? Not to mention all the eastern cities within driving distance to skiing and still have direct flights to Denver if you want something bigger.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:08 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Dallas is also a better beach city than LA.
i know you're sarcastic, but in my opinion, if people are going to drive 6 hours from LA to Mammoth just for skiing, I would definitely drive 4 and a half hours from Dallas to Galveston. Yes, the water in Galveston might be murky, but you can't beat the 85 degree water.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:33 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
i know you're sarcastic, but in my opinion, if people are going to drive 6 hours from LA to Mammoth just for skiing, I would definitely drive 4 and a half hours from Dallas to Galveston. Yes, the water in Galveston might be murky, but you can't beat the 85 degree water.
I'm questioning your logic if you think driving 4 hours to a dirty beach is worth it and living in Dallas is better for skiers than Los Angeles, a place with slopes nearby.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:55 PM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Dallas is the more walkable city because you can take that money and fly to NYC. Dallas is the better city for Korean cuisine because you can save up more money for a flight to Korea. Dallas is the better city for being in the entertainment industry, because you can save up money to go to auditions in LA.

Wow, this is great!

Old 10-09-2018, 02:06 PM

461 posts, read 546,290 times
Wait, you don't want to drive a couple hours to ski near LA, but you think that Denver is a ski resort? How long do you think Coloradans drive to the ski resorts these days?

Old 10-09-2018, 02:20 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,105 times
I wouldn't even consider Dallas an option if I cared a lot about skiing. The burden of getting to a skiing destination is not worth the cost savings. Los Angeles actually has skiing available, but there are much better places to live if skiing is your die-hard hobby.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:35 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Aaaaahhhh the ol' posed-as-a-question-but-really-exists-only-to-give-yourself-the-ability-to-point-out-why-you-think-your-city-is-superior-based-on-personal-and-totally-flawed-logic post! Classic!

Old 10-09-2018, 02:46 PM

760 posts, read 883,277 times
I actually follow your entire post and thought process. I would agree that Dallas would probably be the better option if you are not an avid skiing, or ski bum. You also didn't include other cities, so we just have to assume this direct comparison. This is also assuming that you don't want to waste your time going to the resorts near by LA.

The money you could save on real estate in 2 months, could buy you an entire week of skiing somewhere else in Colorado or Tahoe.

I think everyone else on this post was too quick to judge your logic. I followed it, and I agree with you. Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City