Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 08:22 AM

923 posts, read 665,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Now it will be back to everyone else is wrong.... and argue your point among numerous posters. More simply put and on the offensive for Atlanta. But still only 9th place? I don't think anyone is Bashing Atlanta as you insist.... insults generally are a result of hitting a nerve of truth also.

At least you note Chicago did some great choices in planning its city and replanting after its Great Fire. Flat is fine for a more urban city. Green comes thru also flat or not.

Most here are travelers posting here, They use comparisons to other cities for impressions. Of course they do not know the whole city generally. But impressions do count too. Most are far from totally wrong, irrelevant, or outdated....
I should say not bashing but biased for sure and yes the truth does sting but i havent heard it from you where itwould.sting.
In fact,ive heard exaggerations also.
All that stuff you said was complete assumptions and exaggerations about stuff i never said.

I dont know some cities that well either but i would never make negative statwments about a place I know little about or untrue.
Atlanta is not a city like NYC,Chicago,Miami etc,its not well known .
Ive had Airbnb guest who have come passing through from Europe who were in Charleston doing a semester abroad.
They wanted to see other cities in the South. They were told by an American girl in school with them,to dont bother with Atlanta because there was nothing to do.
They only planned one and a half day to see the city and were amazed as there was a lot more to do than they thought.
She told them it was a ugly dirty and boring city.
They found it to be the opposit. It was four of them.

Usually its Americans that tend to be the most critical. Everyone else from around the world seem to like it alot.
They like the greenery and the diversity which is another thing i noticed that is Americans make that a higher priority ti make cities more diverse.
This is not rarely brought up outside of the US and Canada forums.
Im not saying they dont care but most cities of the US and Canada arent as diverse as those found in those countries.
Even smaller midsized city in the US are more diverse than similar sized cities abroad.
DT ATL just lacks more people to actually live there which is already happening.
Biggest complaint is that itdies dow. considerably after 7.
They need more buisnesses to open
Its built environment is fine

Last edited by Be Proud; 10-17-2018 at 08:50 AM..

Old 10-17-2018, 08:30 AM

HoJ8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I personally wouldn't even waste my time arguing with BeProud. I've done it before and quickly realized that regardless of the evidence and facts, he'll still fill every thread mentioning Atlanta (or interject Atlanta into threads havinig nothing to do with the city) with these long essays excoriating those who don't see Atlanta as he does and refusing to accept that Atlanta can be inferior to anywhere in anything whatsoever. In his mind, the US consists of two places:

1. Atlanta
2. lesser cities that hope that with a lot of help, could maybe one day approach the greatness of Atlanta

Yes compared to houston in which NO ONE has supprted in this discussion,Atlanta is above.
Thays why you mad.lol
Respite being a larger city yet Houston's downtown nobody talks about but you and other Texan boosters.

You cant even quote me as doing anything more than most on here.Everything I have said has been fair.

You dont like hearing anybody that counters your biased opinions. Especially about Houston.
Just dont understand how you can be so biased.
It was not even me who brought up Atlanta at all.
Why are you lying?
I made one comment AFTER someone said something regarding Atlanta and I disagreed
Thats when it became a problem.
Im not biased but I do have a preference

Now all of a sudden in championing Atlanta aswhat it actually has Im wrong when im factually right or have positive opinion?
What "facts" have denied since you say iveargued against facts?
Prove it ir just be quiet with your lies

SORRY no one thinks Hoston downtown i
Should be mentioned .lol

Last edited by Be Proud; 10-17-2018 at 09:01 AM..

Old 10-17-2018, 09:18 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Not enough here is being said about downtown Detroit, I haven't been since 2013 but even then it was much improved from before. My aunt lives in the D and tells me often how much has changed in the past few years. It has bigger and better bones than many of the places being mentioned here. I actually think it should be in serious consideration for a top 9/10 downtown still in the U.S.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:25 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
No its just me.Everyone else can bring up Atlanta all day but not till I make a comment does it become a bash Atlanta fest.I just dont get it.
This is nothing new here, its been going on long before you arrived. There is still a lot of ignorance and hatred of this region, and it's hard to counter either.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:54 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is nothing new here, its been going on long before you arrived. There is still a lot of ignorance and hatred of this region, and it's hard to counter either.
There's maybe some ignorance and hatred of the Atlanta area and that's unfortunate as is ignorance and hatred of any region, but within what this topic is asking, there are several contenders that have as good or potentially better argument for the 9th best downtown in the country.

1) Economic vitality (how important is the Downtown to the metro area)
2) Retail
3) Dining
4) Entertainment (theatres, festivals, Arena events)
5) Transit
6) Overall Vibrancy

Of that above criteria, where Atlanta does quite well in comparison to most other candidates is economic vitality, entertainment, and transit (since it's one of the few here that have multiple rapid transit lines). However, the downtown area does have quite a bit of freeways and turnpikes cutting through and around downtown Atlanta in comparison to some of the other candidates and some pretty large surface lots part of which might be due to the major entertainment options in terms of stadiums and such.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:19 PM

56 posts, read 79,197 times
I live in Houston and visit many cities across the US. Our downtown is definitely not even in the top 15. There's been lots of improvements since the mid 90's but it still lack the residence population and retail that other downtown already has. Central Houston does have the urban street grid that will one day connect downtown to the Texas Medical center. There's plan to re-route I45 and remove the Pierce elevated connecting Downtown to Midtown. Midtown is getting a lot of infill with mid rise apartments, high rise condos and a few office towers. Once they remove the freeway, I can see it developing like Downtown Seattle and Belltown with a continuous flow. Our museum district is also getting some infills and there's already a cluster of high rises and midrise apartments. Development along our light rail will continue and flow over to nearby parallel streets. In a decade or maybe 2, Houston maybe a top 10 contender.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Not enough here is being said about downtown Detroit, I haven't been since 2013 but even then it was much improved from before. My aunt lives in the D and tells me often how much has changed in the past few years. It has bigger and better bones than many of the places being mentioned here. I actually think it should be in serious consideration for a top 9/10 downtown still in the U.S.
Good point. Detrioit often gets overlooked.It to makes sense as it was much more prominent at one time.
As with some of the cities mentioned,the main problem is lack of residents to give that true urban feel.Does it tend to shut down after 6 or7pm like some cities?
I personally cant say as I dont know Detroit that well other than what I read and have been told.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You are right.Ignorance is not something one can argue with.

I have a friend just moved to ATL from Northern California.He says his friends and family cant understand how he can stand it and want to know when he will move back.They dont even want to visit because they think its so bad.
I meet more people with these ideas out West more than anywhere else in the U.S

They have all these stereotypes and preconceived notions that are mind boggling in this day and age.
'They just can't believe that he likes it and doesnt want to move back.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Now it will be back to everyone else is wrong.... and argue your point among numerous posters. More simply put and on the offensive for Atlanta. But still only 9th place? I don't think anyone is Bashing Atlanta as you insist.... insults generally are a result of hitting a nerve of truth also.

At least you note Chicago did some great choices in planning its city and re-planning it after its Great Fire. Flat is fine for a more urban city. Green comes thru also flat or not. It also made Big plans in its past to change it when it was a fast growing city. Today we lack much of that.

Most here are travelers posting here, They use comparisons to other cities for impressions. Of course they do not know the whole city generally. But impressions do count too. Most are far from totally wrong, irrelevant, or outdated....
I have said over and over again in MANY threads that Chicago is one of my favorite cities and where I would live if the weather were better.
Ive defended it in several threads so stop acting like I only defend Atlanta because I most certainly do not I just got into a heated discussion a few weeks ago about Minneapolis vs Vancouver.
MN-SP is .A city I dont have any real feelings one way or another about but the Vancouver Society of Unreal Ego's acted like MN-SP was such a low step down from their beloved city.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:57 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There's maybe some ignorance and hatred of the Atlanta area and that's unfortunate as is ignorance and hatred of any region, but within what this topic is asking, there are several contenders that have as good or potentially better argument for the 9th best downtown in the country.

1) Economic vitality (how important is the Downtown to the metro area)
2) Retail
3) Dining
4) Entertainment (theatres, festivals, Arena events)
5) Transit
6) Overall Vibrancy

Of that above criteria, where Atlanta does quite well in comparison to most other candidates is economic vitality, entertainment, and transit (since it's one of the few here that have multiple rapid transit lines). However, the downtown area does have quite a bit of freeways and turnpikes cutting through and around downtown Atlanta in comparison to some of the other candidates and some pretty large surface lots part of which might be due to the major entertainment options in terms of stadiums and such.
I agree. I don't see any real ignorance towards DT Atlanta on this thread. The dissenters presented really solid evidence for why it shouldn't be the 9th best Downtown in a pretty objective manner. I do however think Be Proud and a few others did a good job clarifying some misconceptions about DT Atlanta, but overall I didn't see any bashing or ignorance. They stuck to the categories: economic vitality, retail, dining, entertainment, transit, and over vibrancy.

DT Dallas; however, was singled out and bashed the moment it was mentioned and strictly on tourism. As I've said a bunch of times in this thread, it is clearly not #9 for top Downtowns. But a certain poster couldn't help himself from the endless hate fest, stomping over any attempt for me to make some clarifications with another poster. Rudely jumping in and asking me to leave! Many Downtowns mentioned on here are in fact not #9, but every poster has a right to contribute even if they know theirs isn't a top 10 Downtown... They should be able to make some clarifications. These rankings are NOT set in stone and at any given moment in time, a major development could literally transform a lacking Downtown. So it's not unheard of for say #21 to become #9. We should all be civil and allow to contribute. Stick to the categories made by the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City