Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you pick?
Greater Las Vegas 10 28.57%
Greater Orlando 14 40.00%
Riverside/San Bernardino (the Inland Empire) 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 06:19 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I read it, the shining points for the IE would be its population and economic growth. Not particularly unique attributes, as there are other places in California growing faster or just behind the IE...

The IE is an LA outpost in my view without the benefits of living in LA. There are other healthy economic areas in California; I can't imagine a circumstance that I'd be under pressure to choose the one with the most positive economic gains currently. Not to diminish that, but if those are the best attributes it has, it certainly doesn't stand out compared to Orlando and Vegas, and the IE has to give me more than that...
I'm not defending the IE.

You said the op said the IE was the 'next best' in the state of California.

Reread his post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 06:32 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I'm not defending the IE.

You said the op said the IE was the 'next best' in the state of California.

Reread his post
He did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
It's probably also California's best metropolitan area after Los Angeles, San Francisco/Oakland, San Diego, and San Jose. Meaning probably the best one in California's interior sections.
For the record, I'm not slamming IE. The point I'm attempting to highlight is the questionability of using the word "best"...

Old 10-17-2018, 06:49 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times
Quote:
He did:

For the record, I'm not slamming IE. The point I'm attempting to highlight is the questionability of using the word "best"...
The context in which he used the word 'best' was after stating an 'objective' fact, such as population growth, which isnt questionable.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:29 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
For me, Orlando..............Riverside.....Las Vegas

Been to all 3 and lived in Orlando for a short time. Orlando is, to me by far, the best of the 3. Once you get north of the FL Turnpike, it's like any other nice metro area in terms of getting away from the tourists. Nice neighborhoods, parks, and lakes. Nice downtown. Though tourism/retirement is its top industry, it does have a nice high tech and healthcare sector. LV's is pretty much tourism. Though both ORL and LV have lots of recreational assets, ORL is much more diverse and more appealing to a wider range of people. Though the theme parks are awesome, there's much more to do in ORL than just that, trust me. LV I just see as tacky. Sorry. I know that will get a lot of comments, lol. ORL is more of an place to live AND play. Also, ORL is the least expensive overall of the 3. I really enjoyed living there.....Riverside/San Bernardino (IE) is ok, but for a population of over 4 million, there should be more recreational assets than they have. They're just "Meah" for an area that size. Though LA is "nearby", it's still a little over an hour west. Too, I prefer tropical locations to desert ones. I'd rather so lush, green landscapes than drab, sandy, dry ones. No real right or wrong here, just my preference.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:55 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Just speaking personally, not objectively to the specific factors, cause I don't think I have enough experience (particularly with "downtown" riverside)

Vegas is the most intriguing to me. It's the only one that would really tempt me to give it a shot. I've visited twice for just several days each, and at least from that minimal experience I feel like there's much much more for me to explore. It has glitz/glamour, cosmopolitan influence, ethnic stores/cuisine, and I believe some soul and character in the parts hidden away from the main thoroughfares. However, I fully acknowledge that moving there would be quite a gamble at this point in time.

Riverside is the safest bet, but in all the time I have spent there I'm not sure I have ever been to downtown riverside. I've spent plenty of time with family in Rancho Cucamonga but generally when outside that family bubble I'll be somewhere farther west. That said, I am fairly certain that living near family in the IE wouldn't be a terrible proposition. I am sure I can find a decent pocket of walkability and proximity to Asian stores and while the climate is perhaps a bit less ideal than along the coast it is not gonna break the desirability completely.

Orlando is also a safe bet but lags well behind Riverside in large scale amenities and Asian influence. However the parks do a good job of attracting international visitors, there is a growing Chinese/Asian influence (though still inadequate) and the low COL/taxes make this not too much of a blowout.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:48 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
He did:
Yes and read that snippet again.

My post claimed that the Inland Empire is the best metropolitan area in California after Los Angeles, San Francisco/Oakland, San Diego, and San Jose. Essentially that it is the 5th best metropolitan area in California and the best of the interior metropolitan areas.

I mean, I go out of my way to list the four that I think are better just so that way my point is clear. Yet for some reason you're acting like what I said is a controversial statement. It's really not. It's hardly a controversial statement. When you take those four that are better out of the mix all it leaves is Riverside/San Bernardino versus Sacramento, Fresno, and Bakersfield among the major metropolitan areas in California.

Do I think the Inland Empire (Riverside/San Bernardino MSA) is better than Sacramento, Fresno, and Bakersfield? Yes, yes I do. Hardly a controversial statement.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-18-2018 at 03:46 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Yes and read that snippet again.

My post claimed that the Inland Empire is the best metropolitan area in California after Los Angeles, San Francisco/Oakland, San Diego, and San Jose. Essentially that it is the 5th best metropolitan area in California and the best of the interior metropolitan areas.

I mean, I go out of my way to list the four that I think are better just so that way my point is clear. Yet for some reason you're acting like what I said is a controversial statement. It's really not. It's hardly a controversial statement. When you take those four that are better out of the mix all it leaves is Riverside/San Bernardino versus Sacramento, Fresno, and Bakersfield among the major metropolitan areas in California.

Do I think the Inland Empire (Riverside/San Bernardino MSA) is better than Sacramento, Fresno, and Bakersfield? Yes, yes I do. Hardly a controversial statement.
Hardly a factual or even a popular sentiment. But its your thread guy, I made my statement on it and your tastes/likes-dislikes are as valid as anyone else's...

Old 10-18-2018, 06:02 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Inland Empire is weird because we chunk MSAs by counties and the Inland Empire counties are very large and spread out unevenly. There’s a good chunk of its western edge that is for most intents and purposes an extension of Los Angeles along those counties western edge and then a smattering of scattered cities and urban areas that aren’t so connected such as Palm Springs

Old 10-19-2018, 02:14 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Hardly a factual or even a popular sentiment. But its your thread guy, I made my statement on it and your tastes/likes-dislikes are as valid as anyone else's...
My statements in this thread have nothing to do with my personal "tastes, likes, and dislikes" as you put it.

I don't have an opinion on any of the places being compared nor an opinion on Sacramento, Fresno, or Bakersfield for that matter.

I was just putting it in perspective of California as a whole. It's obvious that Los Angeles and San Francisco/Oakland are California's two best metropolitan areas. They're also incredibly important. The state needs those two areas to be in top form to be the world beater that it is. After those two come San Diego and San Jose. Then after those four there remains the Riverside/San Bernardino MSA, Sacramento MSA, Fresno MSA, and Bakersfield MSA. I merely stated that the Riverside/San Bernardino area is the best of those remaining. That's hardly a hot take. You must have an overly inflated opinion of Sacramento, Fresno, or Bakersfield to think any of them are so clearly above and beyond better. The best Sacramento can do is match Riverside/San Bernardino on a pound-for-pound basis, which it does, but then reality kicks in that the Inland Empire is actually larger than Sacramento, Fresno, and Bakersfield put together.

The Inland Empire has also become one of the mainstay pillars to California's economic growth across a variety of metrics whereas Sacramento, Fresno, and Bakersfield are much further back. Just this year in 2018, there have been entire months where the employment gains from the Inland Empire have kept California, the state as a whole, afloat in the green territory as other areas in California either slowed down or experienced seasonal losses. That's noticeable impact.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/metro.t03.htm

If you split Oakland metropolitan division out of the San Francisco/Oakland MSA, then I would put the Inland Empire #6 behind Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, San Jose, and Oakland; and ahead of Sacramento, Fresno, and Bakersfield.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
My statements in this thread have nothing to do with my personal "tastes, likes, and dislikes" as you put it.

I merely stated that the Riverside/San Bernardino area is the best of those remaining.

then I would put the Inland Empire #6
Lol gotdamn you really live your life on paper...

In the bolded you state you're not spewing commentary based on your own opinions, and then you contradict yourself by saying "I would put", which is clearly your opinion; where YOU "would put" the IE is solely based on your preference and is not indicative of the typical Californian, or even the typical person familiar with California...

In the real world, there's LA, The Bay, and SD as a distant third, and everyone else. Those are the only three areas on a national radar consistently; truly, only the Big Two on a global radar. The Bay is one area, of course with various economic centers, but it's one place...

The IE, underrated as it may be, would have no economy without LA, and the average Californian doesn't recognize the IE as little more than exurban LA. Lets not pretend people can finger the IE on a map. Very, very few people, with no ties to the IE, set up plans to go to the IE; most people east of California couldn't identify the "Inland Empire" if you asked them to...

Good for you, the IE is "next best" to you. I asked you why, you explained it, but your arrogance isn't lost upon me, as you believe your opinion, and your pecking order, is fact....it is one thing to factually point out the IE is among California's strongest economies at the moment, or that it is larger than anywhere outside The Bay or LA. Those are facts. It is an opinion, to say those qualifiers make it the next best place in California...

Lmao chill playa, ride your high horse that way------>>>>...and let the thread ride out, I'm cool with it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City