Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the greatest degree of regional domination?
Atlanta (S) 63 33.16%
Austin (S) 0 0%
Baltimore (E) 2 1.05%
Boston (NE) 20 10.53%
Buffalo (NE) 1 0.53%
Charlotte (S) 2 1.05%
Chicago (MW) 83 43.68%
Cincinnati (MW) 1 0.53%
Cleveland (MW) 1 0.53%
Columbus (MW) 1 0.53%
Dallas (S) 24 12.63%
Denver (W) 18 9.47%
Detroit (MW) 2 1.05%
Houston (S) 7 3.68%
Indianapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Jacksonville (S) 1 0.53%
Kansas City (MW) 4 2.11%
Las Vegas (W) 1 0.53%
Los Angeles (W) 43 22.63%
Louisville (S) 1 0.53%
Memphis (S) 1 0.53%
Miami (S) 9 4.74%
Milwaukee (MW) 2 1.05%
Minneapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Nashville (S) 4 2.11%
New Orleans (S) 5 2.63%
New York (NE) 67 35.26%
Orlando (S) 2 1.05%
Philadelphia (NE) 4 2.11%
Phoenix (W) 3 1.58%
Pittsburgh (NE) 3 1.58%
Portland (W) 0 0%
Sacramento (W) 1 0.53%
St. Louis (MW) 2 1.05%
Salt Lake (W) 1 0.53%
San Antonio (S) 1 0.53%
San Diego (W) 2 1.05%
San Francisco (W) 16 8.42%
San Jose (W) 3 1.58%
Seattle (W) 11 5.79%
Tampa (S) 1 0.53%
Washington (NE) 7 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 10:08 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Does this South include Texas or South Florida because I don’t see how anything in Atlanta dominates in Texas even at the smallest.

Maybe the South is just to large

West maybe as well

S = Atlanta
SE/Florida = Maimi
S Central = Hou or DFW no clear lead here it would seem
Mountain = Denver
SW = LA
NW = Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 10:17 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Maybe the South is just to large

West maybe as well

S = Atlanta
SE/Florida = Maimi
S Central = Hou or DFW no clear lead here it would seem
Mountain = Denver
SW = LA
NW = Seattle
I would say not only is the South to large but the West is too. I don't think LA dominates the Pacific Northwest or Interior West like you stated with listing NW and and Mountain. Even if it's just California, is LA dominating SF?

Old 11-02-2018, 10:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
I would say not only is the South to large but the West is too. I don't think LA dominates the Pacific Northwest or Interior West like you stated with listing NW and and Mountain. Even if it's just California, is LA dominating SF?

dominating no but would say LA is still the main regional city for CA sans gdp per cap etc LA is iconic (so is SF but think LA moreso)

TX sort of has the odd dynamic with two nearly identical offerings that don't clearly disntinguish themselves from the other

Yes the west and south are way to large, Atlanta is an afterthought in a lot of Florida or TX etc but is pretty dominant in a lot of the traditional South

DC, Boston, even philly are very large cities but not the same as NYC in the NE - if had to choose one I would align that way but I cant fathom people in TX or Miami thinking Atlanta is the hub or most dominant city of their region - same goes for NW or mountain etc

Old 11-02-2018, 01:35 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Does this South include Texas or South Florida because I don’t see how anything in Atlanta dominates in Texas even at the smallest.
And LA doesn't "dominate" (which is a bad word choice to begin with) NorCal or the PNW.

It would be so much better if all of these regions were subdivided into subregions--which was stated more than once from the outset.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:58 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And LA doesn't "dominate" (which is a bad word choice to begin with) NorCal or the PNW.

It would be so much better if all of these regions were subdivided into subregions--which was stated more than once from the outset.
Now this I can agree..

Old 11-02-2018, 05:12 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Call it silly all you want but you haven't actually proven anything. Saying it repeatedly doesn't mean that you've actually done so.

Honestly it's hard to take someone seriously who argues that "Atlanta is hemmed in by Charlotte, Jacksonville, Montgomery, Birmingham, Nashville which is closer than you think. Atlants sphere of influence does not pass any of these cities..." and doesn't make a similar argument for Houston and Dallas. The bias is overwhelmingly evident.
Atlanta doesn't have any influence past Charlotte, or anywhere south of Jacksonville, south west of Birmingham or Northwest of Nashville. You are sorely mistaken if you believe so.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Atlanta doesn't have any influence past Charlotte, or anywhere south of Jacksonville, south west of Birmingham or Northwest of Nashville. You are sorely mistaken if you believe so.
Montgomery...you forgot Montgomery. Since you included a city so small, you might as well throw in Columbus, Augusta, Chattanooga, and Macon. Just keep Atlanta's influence completely within Georgia.

And I find this notion to be utterly ridiculous myself. Obviously Atlanta's influence wanes past those cities but to say it is completely absent is way off base. For some reason, I don't think you'd ever say that Dallas's and/or Houston's influence doesn't extend past San Anonio or Austin.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:33 PM

97 posts, read 58,681 times
Now that I give it some thought, perhaps Chicago is the most regionally dominant due primarily to the fact that there aren't any other major powerhouses in the Midwest. Chicago is pretty much the only one whereas in NE you've got the likes of NYC, Boston, Philly, etc all vying for the top spot, each holding considerable influence. On the West Coast you've got San Fran, LA, Seattle, etc equally competing for regional dominance. Thus, because there are so many other top cities in the other regions, Chicago kinda comes up on top.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhatta View Post
Now that I give it some thought, perhaps Chicago is the most regionally dominant due primarily to the fact that there aren't any other major powerhouses in the Midwest. Chicago is pretty much the only one whereas in NE you've got the likes of NYC, Boston, Philly, etc all vying for the top spot, each holding considerable influence. On the West Coast you've got San Fran, LA, Seattle, etc equally competing for regional dominance. Thus, because there are so many other top cities in the other regions, Chicago kinda comes up on top.
Ummmm no...NYC is unquestionably the big dog in the NE, but Philly, DC, Boston, and Baltimore are also major cities and aren't that far away.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:42 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
This is definitely not true for Charlotte, Birmingham, or Jacksonville. I see Atlanta's influence in Raleigh, all Alabama cities, and some Mississippi cities. Northern Florida is much more like an extension of Georgia than it is of Miami. Nashville and Kentucky cities are questionable since they are not in the Piedmont, but Mutiny77 is correct in saying that Atlanta is the region's dominant city and does influence millions of inhabitants. There are no other cities (metro) as large or economically/and or socially important for several hundred miles. No other city has the amenities, culture, or infrastructure of the Atlanta region for the Southeast. Turn on your tv and see who is campaigning for Stacey Abrams. That is Atlanta in a nutshell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City