Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the greatest degree of regional domination?
Atlanta (S) 63 33.16%
Austin (S) 0 0%
Baltimore (E) 2 1.05%
Boston (NE) 20 10.53%
Buffalo (NE) 1 0.53%
Charlotte (S) 2 1.05%
Chicago (MW) 83 43.68%
Cincinnati (MW) 1 0.53%
Cleveland (MW) 1 0.53%
Columbus (MW) 1 0.53%
Dallas (S) 24 12.63%
Denver (W) 18 9.47%
Detroit (MW) 2 1.05%
Houston (S) 7 3.68%
Indianapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Jacksonville (S) 1 0.53%
Kansas City (MW) 4 2.11%
Las Vegas (W) 1 0.53%
Los Angeles (W) 43 22.63%
Louisville (S) 1 0.53%
Memphis (S) 1 0.53%
Miami (S) 9 4.74%
Milwaukee (MW) 2 1.05%
Minneapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Nashville (S) 4 2.11%
New Orleans (S) 5 2.63%
New York (NE) 67 35.26%
Orlando (S) 2 1.05%
Philadelphia (NE) 4 2.11%
Phoenix (W) 3 1.58%
Pittsburgh (NE) 3 1.58%
Portland (W) 0 0%
Sacramento (W) 1 0.53%
St. Louis (MW) 2 1.05%
Salt Lake (W) 1 0.53%
San Antonio (S) 1 0.53%
San Diego (W) 2 1.05%
San Francisco (W) 16 8.42%
San Jose (W) 3 1.58%
Seattle (W) 11 5.79%
Tampa (S) 1 0.53%
Washington (NE) 7 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:47 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Atlanta entertainment doesn’t register in Houston or Dallas?

I agree with cities becoming less dominant. NYC was super dominant on the east coast when I was younger. It’s still the alpha, but not as unique maybe as it used to be. Same for LA. A good argument could be made that SF/San Jose is more important these days.
Well entertainment yeah but that's pretty much nationwide as Atlanta has a pull even up to NYC in entertainment. However, economically and socially, Atlanta isn't on the radar in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 05:17 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Atlanta, Los Angeles, NY, Chicago by defalt easily...That's just a regional thing plain and simple and a lot has to do with airports, mainly in the Atlanta case because it's not in the ranks or as large as the other 3...

Last edited by oobanks; 10-21-2018 at 05:26 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 07:32 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That isn't quite true.
Atlanta is hemmed in by Charlotte, Jacksonville, Montgomery, Birmingham, Nashville which is closer than you think. Atlants sphere of influence does not pass any of these cities and these cities are just as close to Atl as Any big city to Houston or Dallas
We can agree to disagree as we obviously have VERY different concepts of spheres of influence.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Even if we ignore whatever sphere outside of the South, it is important to remember that the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana, states which are partially within the sphere of DFW and/or Houston, are just as much part of the "South" as Georgia, the Carolinas, Tennessee, Alabama, and Florida are.
Really? Then why is there so much debate about whether TX and OK are really the South or not? If that's the case, let's throw DC and Baltimore in contention for the South too.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:52 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
We can agree to disagree as we obviously have VERY different concepts of spheres of influence.
Naw I don't think so.
It would be more honest of you to just admit you didn't think the influence of these cities were similar. You clearly stated that your definition was distance before you get to a sizable/ peer city. Now that I posted evidence you are changing your tune. I thought you were one of the more honest ones. You seem to be from what I gather, knowledgeable about the South but moreso the Eastern portion. You weigh your opinions slightly to the southeast but not squarely to Atlanta. The smaller metros posters are more hostile to Atlanta, you usually don't have anything to prove. Seem educated but not as competitive as the research triangle.I am tempted to say Southern Virginia but that is too far. My bet is Charlotte. Are you from there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJY1980 View Post
Too many rum & cokes and childish. Sorry for the poor behavior.
Really surprised to see still with your posting privileges

Quote:
Really? Then why is there so much debate about whether TX and OK are really the South or not? If that's the case, let's throw DC and Baltimore in contention for the South too.
Marketing. We are a consumer society.
If we have everyone go out saying things like capital of the South, or Paris or New York of the South pretty soon everyone is going to be repeating it.

Do you really believe Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll?

Old 10-21-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Naw I don't think so.
It would be more honest of you to just admit you didn't think the influence of these cities were similar. You clearly stated that your definition was distance before you get to a sizable/ peer city. Now that I posted evidence you are changing your tune. I thought you were one of the more honest ones. You seem to be from what I gather, knowledgeable about the South but moreso the Eastern portion. You weigh your opinions slightly to the southeast but not squarely to Atlanta. The smaller metros posters are more hostile to Atlanta, you usually don't have anything to prove. Seem educated but not as competitive as the research triangle.I am tempted to say Southern Virginia but that is too far. My bet is Charlotte. Are you from there?
You have posted no evidence at all; none of the cities you posted have metros of 6 million but you consider them peers of Atlanta. When you threw Montgomery into the mix as a city that "hems" Atlanta in, it was more than evident that we simply don't see things the same way, especially given the fact that you said Dallas is devoid of large cities in every direction and you completely omitted OKC but somehow Montgomery gets mentioned for Atlanta. Now I believe that a smaller city can have its own sphere of influence but still be within the sphere of influence of a larger city and this is a sentiment you don't seem to share. So no there's nothing to "admit" on my part.

And for the record, I'm originally from rural SC and have lived in Charlotte, Atlanta, South Jersey (right across the river from Philly), and just outside of DC and have done my fair share of traveling in each of those regions for various reasons so I'd say I've got a pretty good idea for how the whole spheres of influence thing works.

Quote:
Marketing. We are a consumer society.
If we have everyone go out saying things like capital of the South, or Paris or New York of the South pretty soon everyone is going to be repeating it.
Yeah see I disagree with that as there are legitimate ways in which places like TX and OK diverge from the (rest of the) South in the areas of history, demographics, culture, etc. and those are the based upon which people make their arguments. You fail to account for the realities upon which "marketing" is based, and I don't even know of any kind of marketing campaigns or gimmicks that have anything to do with the dubiousness of TX's and OK's Southernness anyway.

We simply have different perspectives and are probably at an impasse which is why I'm simply agreeing to disagree but feel free to think you've "won" if you makes you feel better.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-21-2018 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 01:52 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Quote:
Yes, really. Especially if we are dividing the nation into the four categories in the OP.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Yes, really. Especially if we are dividing the nation into the four categories in the OP.
You're looking at it as a purely on-paper C-D exercise whereas my perspective is more reality-based. We just see things differently I suppose.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:49 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
No let's not actually.

This is only perpetrated by the posters of C-D.

Atlanta dominates the South that is their region.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
No let's not actually.

This is only perpetrated by the posters of C-D.

Atlanta dominates the South that is their region.
Lol you know what I was getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City