Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you prefer?
Boston 120 52.63%
Vancouver 108 47.37%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 02:44 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Time zones are man made. They don't make a day have more sunlight.
They don’t affect how many hours of daylight a place gets, but they do affect when the sun rises and sets. For example, sunset today in Bar Harbor, ME was 3:45pm but in Pittsburgh, PA it will be at 4:45pm. Bar Harvor isn’t that much further north than Pittsburgh but it’s a heck of a lot further east and in the same time zone.

Another interesting example is Spain. Geographically it should be in the same time zone as Ireland and the UK, but instead it’s in the same time zone as France. So the sun rises and sets unusually late in Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 02:49 PM

1,393 posts, read 858,845 times
Quote:
krosser100 covered most of it, the other thing is attitude.

NYC is the exception, and there may be others in the US, but people I know in the US think transit is for poor people. For people who can't afford a car.

Here in Vancouver, most people have taken transit and don't think of it as for the poor. I have a car, and many times leaving the car at home and hopping on a bus or the Skytrain is just more convenient. Faster and cheaper.

Given that a larger percentage of Bostonians use public transit to get to work than people from Vancouver..I think you don’t fully understand Boston’s ridership..it’s not just for poor people

Old 12-14-2018, 02:54 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
krosser100 covered most of it, the other thing is attitude.

NYC is the exception, and there may be others in the US, but people I know in the US think transit is for poor people. For people who can't afford a car.

Here in Vancouver, most people have taken transit and don't think of it as for the poor. I have a car, and many times leaving the car at home and hopping on a bus or the Skytrain is just more convenient. Faster and cheaper.
You obviously dont know many people in the North East. In NYC as mentioned, DC, Philly, Boston public transit is the preferred method of transit, I am sure Chicago is the same. You see everyone on the train, students, doctors, lawyers, scientists, professors along with everyone in between all the way down to the so called "poor".

For the first few years in Boston my wife and I didnt even own a car and only bought one family car after our daughter was born and even then we would take the train everywhere. We were never too poor to own a car either and most people in our circle were the same. Even some of the partners at my wife's firm making $300k plus didnt own cars and just walked to the office or took public transit.

I think that attitude is prevalent in some parts of the US of course. Vancouver transit is pretty decent and obviously superior to alot of US cities that have neglected funding and developing a proper transit infrastructure. But I still cannot get on board with people saying Vancouver is a transit success story, yes maybe in comparison to a deplorable transit situation like what exists in many US cities, but after living in Europe you see how behind even the success stories in the US and Canada are. It is not even comparable.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:04 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Given that a larger percentage of Bostonians use public transit to get to work than people from Vancouver..I think you don’t fully understand Boston’s ridership..it’s not just for poor people
Also track housing values that are located near a T station and you will see that it is not only for the poor.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:12 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
But I still cannot get on board with people saying Vancouver is a transit success story, yes maybe in comparison to a deplorable transit situation like what exists in many US cities, but after living in Europe you see how behind even the success stories in the US and Canada are. It is not even comparable.
I don't think it's fair bring in Europe or Asian cities in these debates. First, we are comparing two North American cities, not Shanghai, not London, not Amsterdam. Secondly, I think we are all intelligent enough to dissect the differences between European and North American transit infrastructure, and the wide gap in terms of ridership and transit coverage between the two continents. Everyone is aware of the long road ahead for many NA cities, including Vancouver, and the work that needs to be done to reverse almost a century of auto-centric development; and not only hard infrastructure, but a fundamental shift in mindset and habit. That's a battle that many older Euro and Asian cities don't have to deal with.

I think Vancouver is without a doubt a transit success story in the context of North American urban development patterns. Keep in mind that Vancouver had zero rapid transit options until 1986, going from 5% transit usage to nearly 33% in 3 decades, in a country/continent dominated by car-centric life style. That in itself is an achievement in its own right. Vancouver could've easily neglected this area and built out its freeway network like Toronto or Montreal, but they made a conscious and active decision to reverse course and invest in transit in the 70s and 80s when other NA cities are going in the opposite direction.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:33 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,566,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
They don’t affect how many hours of daylight a place gets, but they do affect when the sun rises and sets. For example, sunset today in Bar Harbor, ME was 3:45pm but in Pittsburgh, PA it will be at 4:45pm. Bar Harvor isn’t that much further north than Pittsburgh but it’s a heck of a lot further east and in the same time zone.

Another interesting example is Spain. Geographically it should be in the same time zone as Ireland and the UK, but instead it’s in the same time zone as France. So the sun rises and sets unusually late in Spain.
+1; https://youtu.be/uW6QqcmCfm8

Old 12-15-2018, 01:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
I never said Bostons transit was for poor people.. I mentioned NYC and that there are probably others that are transit friendly. People in LA for instance, have a different take on transit.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

When one says a place gets more sunshine hours than another place at the same time of year, time zones mean nothing.

Vancouver gets slightly more than one hour of daylight than Boston, looking at the longest day of the year. June 21st.

Doesn't matter if my clock says 9pm, or 10 pm. The sun and earth don't care.

The WHOLE point of my comment was to point out that Vancouver has longer summer days.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
You obviously dont know many people in the North East. In NYC as mentioned, DC, Philly, Boston public transit is the preferred method of transit, I am sure Chicago is the same. You see everyone on the train, students, doctors, lawyers, scientists, professors along with everyone in between all the way down to the so called "poor".

For the first few years in Boston my wife and I didnt even own a car and only bought one family car after our daughter was born and even then we would take the train everywhere. We were never too poor to own a car either and most people in our circle were the same. Even some of the partners at my wife's firm making $300k plus didnt own cars and just walked to the office or took public transit.

I think that attitude is prevalent in some parts of the US of course. Vancouver transit is pretty decent and obviously superior to alot of US cities that have neglected funding and developing a proper transit infrastructure. But I still cannot get on board with people saying Vancouver is a transit success story, yes maybe in comparison to a deplorable transit situation like what exists in many US cities, but after living in Europe you see how behind even the success stories in the US and Canada are. It is not even comparable.
Again, I never mentioned Boston Transit. I simply stated from my experience, mainly with west coast Americans, transit is considered quite differently than it is in Vancouver.

Friends in LA joked that the only people riding the new " subway " were maids.

The other obvious comparison for Vancouver is Seattle. Seattle transit compared to Vancouver is...meh. As this article from Seattle clearing states.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...out-years-ago/

I've taken transit in Europe. London, Paris, Amsterdam, Milan, Berlin, and others. Many times over many years. Amsterdam is about the same size of Vancouver, and their transit is one that is comparable to Vancouver IMO. London and Paris of course are on a whole different level.

Last edited by Natnasci; 12-15-2018 at 01:35 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 02:38 PM

1,393 posts, read 858,845 times
Quote:
Again, I never mentioned Boston Transit. I simply stated from my experience, mainly with west coast Americans, transit is considered quite differently than it is in Vancouver.

Friends in LA joked that the only people riding the new " subway " were maids.

The other obvious comparison for Vancouver is Seattle. Seattle transit compared to Vancouver is...meh. As this article from Seattle clearing states.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...out-years-ago/

I've taken transit in Europe. London, Paris, Amsterdam, Milan, Berlin, and others. Many times over many years. Amsterdam is about the same size of Vancouver, and their transit is one that is comparable to Vancouver IMO. London and Paris of course are on a whole different level.
West vs east coast is a whole diff ballgame when it comes to transit mentality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City