Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you prefer?
Boston 120 52.63%
Vancouver 108 47.37%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 05:39 PM

1,393 posts, read 861,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not playing devil's advocate, but just trying to point out that for the vast majority of citizens, it doesn't matter.

Peoples QOL, which is where the hospital access/care falls into as one part of QOL. The fact that Boston has this and that, certainly helps those who MAY have conditions that are rarer. Overall care for everyone?

It's difficult for someone like me to think that somehow if I lived in Boston, my QOL would be better because of the off chance that I many get a rare condition. Someone who has gone through our system with family and friends who have had brain tumours, breast cancers, throat cancers, hip replacements, kidney cancer, cataract surgeries, leg amputations, and other less major illnesses, all of whom survived and got first rate care, that somehow because they don't live in Boston, have a poorer QOL because of hospital ratings.
Hospitals is just one thing it’s better at...also takes cultural institutions, museums, retail, economy, education institutions, sports, arts, tech, breweries....easily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 07:10 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
This video, you know... the Boston caricature reminds me of some of these thread posts!

Oh yeah! Well... I'VE HAD A TEA PAHTY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ4Od9AgNGI
Can we get an updated version of this though? That was entertaining and accurate lol

Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not undermining, but putting into perspective what that means to the average Joe.
As a self-described “average joe” it’s comforting for me to know that if anything bad happens to me, there are a lot of places nearby that will take care of me very well in Boston.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 01-09-2019, 10:51 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLonsdale View Post
Mastercard has an annual ranking of international destination cities. In North America, Vancouver ranks #6 while Boston is #10. These are numbers for 2016, so perhaps that ranking looks different today.

Vancouver definitely punches above its weight internationally and is well-integrated into the global economy. However, it tends to fly under the radar in North America, particularly on the U.S. East Coast.
Oh, not just in the East Coast. Heck, it's the most underrated big city on the West Coast. People think Portland and Seattle are so cool and never bother to see Vancouver. For all the cheap talk Seattle and Portland have about being these three hugging, well-planned, mass transit cities, Vancouver's Downtown, skytrain, Stanley Park, and Grouse Mountain would rip Seattle and Portland to smithereens.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:54 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Vancouver and Seattle aren't actually that similar.
In a lot of ways they are.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:55 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Actually in Seattle we have a healthy jealousy for Vancouver's transit, parks, scenery, and overseas air connections. We know we're way behind on trains, though we have much higher transit share than Portland.

They have a healthy jealously of our economy and home prices.

Portland I can't speak for. They're by far the worst of the three on transit, density, diversity, etc., but do have an outstanding urban vibe and a lot of other good stuff like bikeability.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:55 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Oh, not just in the East Coast. Heck, it's the most underrated big city on the West Coast. People think Portland and Seattle are so cool and never bother to see Vancouver. For all the cheap talk Seattle and Portland have about being these three hugging, well-planned, mass transit cities, Vancouver's Downtown, skytrain, Stanley Park, and Grouse Mountain would rip Seattle and Portland to smithereens.
Ha, I don't think anybody raves about Seattle's mass transit.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:59 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times
Boston, not even close.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:27 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Actually in Seattle we have a healthy jealousy for Vancouver's transit, parks, scenery, and overseas air connections. We know we're way behind on trains, though we have much higher transit share than Portland.

They have a healthy jealously of our economy and home prices.

Portland I can't speak for. They're by far the worst of the three on transit, density, diversity, etc., but do have an outstanding urban vibe and a lot of other good stuff like bikeability.
In all honesty, I've never heard anyone in Vancouver talk about Seattle's economy.

Seattle's housing market is different and yes cheaper, than Vancouver's, but again, I don't hear people talking about it. Probably because people don't think about moving there?

No offence to Seattle, I prefer it over Portland. Seattle is much more vibrant than Portland, and I have a lot of good memories there.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Maybe underrated in the US rather than the world? From some of the posts here, I can tell some really don't have a feel for Vancouver and the reasons why it rates highly around the world as one of the most desirable cities to live in by many different sources.

I think people from Portland visit less than Seattleites. I bump into people from Seattle a lot. It's an easy drive or train ride. The two cities are quite different, but each others citizens seem to migrate to the others city for weekends, especially holiday weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City