Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 02:58 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,786 times

Advertisements

I’d vote KC on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 10:30 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I’d vote KC on this one.
I agree. What do you like about Kansas City?

Old 12-07-2018, 06:35 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
Aren't we supposed to take OP's criteria into consideration? If so, STL is the clear choice.

OP, have you thought about Chicago?
Pretty much, if it wasn't for the fact that I know some people here don't even read the OP and just vote on their own personal feelings/bias/whatever, I'd be amazaed at how anyone could come to a different conclusion based on the criteria given in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I will be relocating to one of these cities in the relatively near future. Which one would you say is best based on the following criteria:

- Housing (I plan to buy. I know all three of these areas have cheap real estate, but which one provides the best value?)

St. Louis gives you the most, followed by KC and then Indy.

- Urbanity/walkability

Same order, St. Louis, KC, Indy.

- Employment opportunities (I plan to get into aviation mechanic training, as well as electrical training).

Real life answer, depends on your field (yours def seems like STL is the best) and advancement opportunities. People on here whine about cities all the time and try to substitute them for themselves, but in reality people mostly go where the have the best job offer, and for good reason. KC and Indy are growing their economies faster, St. Louis's is already much bigger with many more Fortune 500s

- Outdoor recreation such as parks. I really like outdoor basketball, so an abundance of outdoor basketball courts would be nice.

I don't know about basketball, on a whim I'd say KC here? As far as urban parks, St. Louis by far, then maybe Indy, then KC. Outside the city, STL is still on top as the Ozark mountains run right into St. Louis county, then KC, then Indy.

- Urban neighborhoods. Neighborhoods that are interesting, as well as somewhat ' gritty' with lots of natural plant growth. Cookie cutter suburban style neighborhoods absolutely repulse me.

St. Louis, period. (Then KC, then Indy)

- Climate. I like a 4 season climate- warm to hot summers, cool to cold winters. I don't like a Texas- summer/not quite summer climate or a Minnesota cold 8 months out of the year climate.

Similar, but exact data is pretty easy to find.

- General livability. Things like traffic, crime, etc.

Traffic isn't an issue in any really, all have bad crime/terrible abandoned areas in the cores.
My thoughts.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:37 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
- Housing (I plan to buy. I know all three of these areas have cheap real estate, but which one provides the best value?). All 3 have nice, inexpensive housing. But KC and IND would have more of a newer inventory and STL's would be older overall.

- Urbanity/walkability - STL, KCM, IND

- Employment opportunities (I plan to get into aviation mechanic training, as well as electrical training) - KCM, IND, STL

- Outdoor recreation such as parks. I really like outdoor basketball, so an abundance of outdoor basketball courts would be nice. - STL, KCM, IND

- Urban neighborhoods. Neighborhoods that are interesting, as well as somewhat ' gritty' with lots of natural plant growth. Cookie cutter suburban style neighborhoods absolutely repulse me - STL, KCM, IND

- Climate. I like a 4 season climate- warm to hot summers, cool to cold winters. I don't like a Texas- summer/not quite summer climate or a Minnesota cold 8 months out of the year climate - All 3 have similar climates. IND has fewer tornadoes than KCM. I guess IND, STL, KCM

- General livability. Things like traffic, crime, etc - KCM, IND, STL

My personal pick would be Kansas City. I really like the area.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:14 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree. What do you like about Kansas City?
KC...I don’t know I guess I just like the city the few times I’ve been, it doesn’t brag or boast and is pretty cool in my opinion.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:01 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
- Housing (I plan to buy. I know all three of these areas have cheap real estate, but which one provides the best value?). All 3 have nice, inexpensive housing. But KC and IND would have more of a newer inventory and STL's would be older overall.

- Urbanity/walkability - STL, KCM, IND

- Employment opportunities (I plan to get into aviation mechanic training, as well as electrical training) - KCM, IND, STL

- Outdoor recreation such as parks. I really like outdoor basketball, so an abundance of outdoor basketball courts would be nice. - STL, KCM, IND

- Urban neighborhoods. Neighborhoods that are interesting, as well as somewhat ' gritty' with lots of natural plant growth. Cookie cutter suburban style neighborhoods absolutely repulse me - STL, KCM, IND

- Climate. I like a 4 season climate- warm to hot summers, cool to cold winters. I don't like a Texas- summer/not quite summer climate or a Minnesota cold 8 months out of the year climate - All 3 have similar climates. IND has fewer tornadoes than KCM. I guess IND, STL, KCM

- General livability. Things like traffic, crime, etc - KCM, IND, STL

My personal pick would be Kansas City. I really like the area.
I would agree with everything except employment options in aerospace.

Kansas City
St. Louis
Indianapolis.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:26 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Given the criteria I'm not sure they'd be happy in Indianapolis.
Indy has all the same things STL and KCMO do in the OP. You can debate whether Fountain Square or The Hill is more vibrant if you want, but it is not as though Indy is devoid of culture and walkable neighborhoods.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:58 AM

90 posts, read 117,930 times
Ever consider Cincinnati? Ge aviation is headquartered here.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:04 AM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincygrad2015 View Post
Ever consider Cincinnati? Ge aviation is headquartered here.
Yes, I'm considering Cincinnati as well as Cleveland.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:33 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Indy has all the same things STL and KCMO do in the OP. You can debate whether Fountain Square or The Hill is more vibrant if you want, but it is not as though Indy is devoid of culture and walkable neighborhoods.
No it doesn't. It's not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City