Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 10:39 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

Advertisements

Kansas City wages tend to be higher :/ St Louis is too close to Chicago so the higher wages head there

Kansas City also employs the Kansas residents too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 10:42 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
No it doesn't. It's not the same.
Your long standing position, including that downtown Indianapolis is dead, is noted.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:03 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Your long standing position, including that downtown Indianapolis is dead, is noted.
I've never said downtown Indianapolis is dead.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:31 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Kansas City wages tend to be higher :/ St Louis is too close to Chicago so the higher wages head there

Kansas City also employs the Kansas residents too
What wages are higher in Kansas City? I'm trying to figure this one out. Please send links to compare. Especially in aerospace.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:12 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,183,481 times
Quote:
Indy has all the same things STL and KCMO do in the OP. You can debate whether Fountain Square or The Hill is more vibrant if you want, but it is not as though Indy is devoid of culture and walkable neighborhoods.
I think the main difference is that St. Louis just has way more traditionally urban walkable neighborhoods, but that's mainly because St. Louis was just a much larger city than both KC and Indy in the pre-automobile era. I mean the Hill is not even in the top 10 as far as densest residential areas in St. Louis, despite it probably being denser than Fountain Square and much further from it's respective city center.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:30 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I think the main difference is that St. Louis just has way more traditionally urban walkable neighborhoods, but that's mainly because St. Louis was just a much larger city than both KC and Indy in the pre-automobile era. I mean the Hill is not even in the top 10 as far as densest residential areas in St. Louis, despite it probably being denser than Fountain Square and much further from it's respective city center.
Yeah, Indy doesn't have anything close to the urban, walkable neighborhoods that St. Louis has. These developments will be exciting for the area.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/lo...0e4e0865d.html

https://www.stltoday.com/business/lo...091202093.html

https://www.bnd.com/news/local/article219187105.html

Old 12-13-2018, 06:12 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
According to this website, Fountain Square is about 5600 people per square mile vs the Hill at 3100.

Fountain Square
The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Yeah, Indy doesn't have anything close to the urban, walkable neighborhoods that St. Louis has. These developments will be exciting for the area.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/lo...0e4e0865d.html

https://www.stltoday.com/business/lo...091202093.html

https://www.bnd.com/news/local/article219187105.html
We have developments with fancy looking renderings in Indianapolis as well.

Developers break ground on new Bottleworks District
16tech

A soccer stadium is a reach for the purpose of this thread. Indy, KC, and STL all have an assortment of sports stadiums. A new stadium seems like a wasteful expenditure considering the dome lost the Rams and there is no primary sports tenant on the level of an NFL franchise? Regardless, sports stadiums almost never deliver on promises of nearby development. STL has been trying to prop up Ballpark Village for over a decade now, and despite being adjacent to Busch Stadium, is only just now looking like an actual village or sorts per the linked article.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:15 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
We have developments with fancy looking renderings in Indianapolis as well.

Developers break ground on new Bottleworks District
16tech

A soccer stadium is a reach for the purpose of this thread. Indy, KC, and STL all have an assortment of sports stadiums. A new stadium seems like a wasteful expenditure considering the dome lost the Rams and there is no primary sports tenant on the level of an NFL franchise? Regardless, sports stadiums almost never deliver on promises of nearby development. STL has been trying to prop up Ballpark Village for over a decade now, and despite being adjacent to Busch Stadium, is only just now looking like an actual village or sorts per the linked article.
There is a huge amount of development in many cities now. The cities mentioned in this thread are not lacking in that category.

Driving the I64 between Clayton and DT St. Louis especially Kingshighway to the river feels very dense and will give a feeling of a large urban city more so than Indianapolis or Kansas City.

As I've written before and what many others have, OP couldn't go wrong with either choice. St Louis does have a slight up in the urban experience category because of walkability, LRT and built environment.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:07 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,170 times
“Urban” in Indianapolis is equivalent to Brentwood (a suburb of St Louis). Typical urban neighborhoods in KC are equivalent to Maplewood (an inner-ring suburb of St. Louis).

Old 12-14-2018, 01:08 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Thanks everyone, for the useful information. I've read through all of the replies and it seems that St Louis has the most of what I want. Here's how I have the cities ranked so far:

St Louis
Kcmo/Indy (Tie)
Cincinnati/Cleveland (Tie)

But really, these cities are so close that I may just end up leaving it to chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City