Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban within city limits: Atlanta, GA or Arlington/Alexandria, VA
Atlanta, GA is more urban 40 26.14%
Arlington and Alexandria, VA are more urban 113 73.86%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 01:37 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
How is Arlington the core of the DC area?
Arlington is a part of the original 102 sq mile "diamond district" that was originally created to be a part of the capital city that is Washington DC. It's not much of a "DC suburb".

The most urban"ish" part of this core runs from the Potomac river in Rosslyn down an urban spine all the way to Ballston, and this doesn't even include Crystal/Pentagon City.

Arlington is effectively another "borough" for lack of better way of putting it, of core DC, it just exists across state boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 06:00 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
How is Arlington the core of the DC area?
Because it is nearly adjacent to the "downtown" DC neighborhood and is home to all the corporate towers in that area (since DC proper has no skyscrapers). It is also at the convergence of three metro lines, so fairly easily accessible from elsewhere. Obviously that's a simplistic view and there are many other factors to consider for a core, but that is why I said an "argument could be made," not that it is definitive.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:03 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Is this a real thread? Y’all take this Atlanta sprawl thing way too far.
There's no point in arguing with these people, D.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:05 PM

164 posts, read 170,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
There's no point in arguing with these people, D.
Just ridiculous at this point really...

Old 11-02-2018, 07:28 PM

I sincerely don't get the negative reaction. I'm obviously a fan of Atlanta based on my nearly universal positive commentary when it comes up, and from 2011-2016 I considered it something of a second home with the programs I was working on and my regular trips there.

But this is not exactly an offensive or insulting thread for Atlanta. It's kind of analogous to saying "We all recognize Atlanta is more urban than Jacksonville, but what about comparing midtown Atlanta to Jacksonville?" Obviously, we're agreeing on midtown, right? Not a perfect parallel but you get what I'm trying to point out. (Maybe "Greater Midtown" is more appropriate)

Old 11-02-2018, 07:42 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I sincerely don't get the negative reaction. I'm obviously a fan of Atlanta based on my nearly universal positive commentary when it comes up, and from 2011-2016 I considered it something of a second home with the programs I was working on and my regular trips there.

But this is not exactly an offensive or insulting thread for Atlanta. It's kind of analogous to saying "We all recognize Atlanta is more urban than Jacksonville, but what about comparing midtown Atlanta to Jacksonville?" Obviously, we're agreeing on midtown, right? Not a perfect parallel but you get what I'm trying to point out. (Maybe "Greater Midtown" is more appropriate)
It's still a bad comparison since you're cherry-picking arguably the two most urban suburbs (one that used to be part of the core city and the other, an old colonial city) of a pretty urban city to compare to the entire city of Atlanta. It's just not very apples-to-apples at all.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:22 PM

That was exactly my point. It's not offensive at all.

But I think I get it now, if you're saying the OP is purposely trying to make a poor comparison in an attempt to make Atlanta look bad. I hadn't thought of it that way since I didn't think it made Atlanta look bad.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:35 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
That was exactly my point. It's not offensive at all.

But I think I get it now, if you're saying the OP is purposely trying to make a poor comparison in an attempt to make Atlanta look bad. I hadn't thought of it that way since I didn't think it made Atlanta look bad.
Of course the thread is designed to make Atlanta look bad..."We can beat Atlanta with one hand tied behind our back huhuhuhuhuhuhuh."

Old 11-02-2018, 08:41 PM

929 posts, read 1,901,856 times
Even though most would say that Arlington and Alexandria are more urban than Atlanta, the type of urbanity in Arlington and Alexandria (especially Arlington) seems pretty similar to that in intown Atlanta. There are a bunch of recently built highrise nodes with some walkability and some 1970s/80s subdivisions not too far off. Sure Arlington is more dense than Atlanta, but the type of urbanity in Arlington seems pretty similar to that in Atlanta.

Alexandria seems like a mixed bag in terms of what its development resembles. Old town seems like a gentrified neighborhood in Philly or Baltimore. Del Rey seems like a more tightly built version of intown Atlanta. Everything else seems like nondescript 70s suburbia.

Last edited by bballniket; 11-02-2018 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: needed to add stuff

Old 11-02-2018, 08:51 PM

929 posts, read 1,901,856 times
Default Lenox Square are more similar to Pentagon City or Tysons Corner?

Do ya'll think that the part of Buckhead near Lenox Square Mall and Phipps plaza is more similar to the Pentagon City area in Arlington or to Tysons Corner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City