Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 10:31 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,384,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielJ View Post
Being a melting pot is one of the things that makes these places an awesome place to live. It's good to know I'd be amongst fellow Ohioans who also sought greener pastures
A lot of us are here from Akron. Also Dayton, but I've met some from the bigger cities as well. Plenty of us here you should check it out.

Prices are a bit more expensive. Like Norfolk is 20% higher rent than Akron. But then it is 6% cheaper than Cleveland. So there's that. 71% more expensive than Youngstown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 04:10 PM

923 posts, read 655,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I get sick of the veiled racism of many of these White progressives. Atlanta itself is majority Black and the metro has one of the largest Black populations in the country, but Black folks are invisible to him. This Amy chick is supposedly the "archetypical Atlantan"--not Andrew Young or John Lewis or Stacey Abrams or Keisha Lance Bottoms or any of the myriad of influential Black politicians Atlanta is known for. GTFOH....
I thought the same thing.I dont even know who that woman is.You are absolutely right.Since when did one person represent a whole metro of almost 6 million?The dumbest thing I ever heard of and he should be ashamed to keep passing on this narrative

Old 11-12-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Raleigh?

You're basing the decision on what you've heard, not what you've witnessed. I've spent time in both. More so in DC than Atlanta. DC is an entirely different thing, but not necessarily in a bad way. Atlanta is more stereotypically Southern. Both are progressive in their own way but DC is more of a Northern hybrid and Atlanta is more what they like to call "New South".

Challenge yourself. You sound like you're not much acquainted with the urban scenes in Ohio, let alone anywhere else. If you can afford DC give it a try. But the suburbs, of both DC and Atlanta, compliment their respective cities but they're not necessarily a microcosm of those cities. If you think you're getting a lite version of those cities out in the suburbs you're in for a rude awakening.

Raleigh will eventually be like a smaller Atlanta. Charlotte isn't what it used to be 10 years ago. If you think you're avoiding something hiding out there. You're not.
You keep saying Atlanta is cheap.It most certainly is not and it really doesnt sound like you know it as well you seem to suggest.Atlanta is not even the same city it was 5 years ago.

What in the world does "stereotypically" Southern mean?
Atlanta is Southern but its not Mayberry.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Because it seems random.

I know you have a personal interest in Raleigh and Hampton Roads and I don't necessarily disagree with you. But that isn't where the conversation started. Op was intrigued by DC and Atlanta but insecure based on her finances and the speed of both areas.

But what do I know I wouldn't mind getting out of Hampton Roads. It has something for everyone but at times it feels like a Southern version of Ohio, like people just come here because it's cheaper, just like people from New York go to Ohio because they heard it's cheaper.
What people choose Ohio because its cheaper ONLY?LOL

Old 11-12-2018, 06:32 PM

24 posts, read 14,902 times
This is a tough choice. Atlanta kind of feels like what DC used to be before its boom. It depends on ones priorities. Atlanta is not as cheap anymore as it used to be, but definitely feels more livable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City