Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern Metro when you think about the South comes to mind?Which city is the best representat
Houston 14 12.84%
Atlanta 63 57.80%
Dallas 5 4.59%
New Orleans 2 1.83%
Charlotte 6 5.50%
Nashville 18 16.51%
Austin 1 0.92%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 07:39 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
And honestly, I think the Southeast might be more socially progressive than Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 05:25 PM

5 posts, read 3,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Which Southern Metro when you think about the South comes to mind?Which city is the best representation for the Southern United States if you had to pick ONE?

All things Southern.Historically,Currently,culturally,economi cally influence etc.
As a Texan you almost made me throw up a little in my mouth when you had Austin. Austin isn't even Texan let alone southern and plus Austin is too far out west. I wouldn't have Dallas or Houston either, they both have been yankeefied by newcomers and their southerness has been severely diluted and they are just too diverse for you to really get that southern experience. I also heard that Atlanta is becoming yankeefied as well. really, to experience the south you have to go to the smaller areas where the natives are not the big cities where all the transplants are but if I had to pick a major city area it would probably be Memphis.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:54 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bharris01babby View Post
As a Texan you almost made me throw up a little in my mouth when you had Austin. Austin isn't even Texan let alone southern and plus Austin is too far out west. I wouldn't have Dallas or Houston either, they both have been yankeefied by newcomers and their southerness has been severely diluted and they are just too diverse for you to really get that southern experience. I also heard that Atlanta is becoming yankeefied as well. really, to experience the south you have to go to the smaller areas where the natives are not the big cities where all the transplants are but if I had to pick a major city area it would probably be Memphis.

You are 100% correct that Texas was yankeefied.

Ironically, you are the Yankee, lol.

Look. People from New York bringing 6 figure salaried jobs is a lot less worse than taking over your land, killing all the Texans and all that other stuff.

I’m not looking to get into a debate, because quite frankly, I don’t really care about that topic . I just find it funny Americans are known by the world as “Yankees” and here you are complaining Texas is becoming “yankeefied” .... As an educated person, I find your logic funny.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 PM

5 posts, read 3,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Which Southern Metro when you think about the South comes to mind?Which city is the best representation for the Southern United States if you had to pick ONE?

All things Southern.Historically,Currently,culturally,economi cally influence etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You are 100% correct that Texas was yankeefied.

Ironically, you are the Yankee, lol.

Look. People from New York bringing 6 figure salaried jobs is a lot less worse than taking over your land, killing all the Texans and all that other stuff.

I’m not looking to get into a debate, because quite frankly, I don’t really care about that topic . I just find it funny Americans are known by the world as “Yankees” and here you are complaining Texas is becoming “yankeefied” .... As an educated person, I find your logic funny.

Here we go about the taking land thing blah blah blah. You do realize that every race and every nation is guilty of that right? Who do you think occupied Texas before it was Mexico? Native Americans and then the Spanish came and took their land and made it Mexico even before Americans stepped on Texas soil. But then again, if you were educated you would have known that. And by the way, it wasn't only Americans in Texas who fought to secede from Mexico, there were Mexicans who lived in Texas and other people of other ethnic groups who fought against Mexico to succeed but then again if you were educated you would have known that but instead, you decided you come on here to try to make yourself sound smart but in reality you have no idea what you are talking about. "As an educated person..." this is exactly why we hate you northerners with ya'lls holier than thou attitudes as if ya'll are just so much more intellectually superior than us.

Last edited by Bharris01babby; 11-16-2018 at 06:39 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Here we go about the taking land thing blah blah blah. You do realize that every race and every nation is guilty of that right? Who do you think occupied Texas before it was Mexico? Native Americans and then the Spanish came and took their land and made it Mexico even before Americans stepped on Texas soil. But then again, if you were educated you would have known that. And by the way, it wasn't only Americans in Texas who fought to secede from Mexico, there were Mexicans who lived in Texas and other people of other ethnic groups who fought against Mexico to succeed but then again if you were educated you would have known that but instead, you decided you come on here to try to make yourself sound smart but in reality you have no idea what you are talking about. "As an educated person..." this is exactly why we hate you northerners with ya'lls holier than thou attitudes as if ya'll are just so much more intellectually superior than us.

I didn’t bother reading this block of text much. Skimmed a few words. I think in general, we agree that people take peoples land. I don’t care at all. I’m not disputing the politics of it.

All I was saying is, Americans are called Yankees. You’re complaining Texas is being yankeefied. Any intelligent person just finds that humorous. Everything you say makes me laugh to think there are plenty of Texans that think they way you do. “Oh no, they’re bringing those fancy hog wallerin’ Jobs down here to Texas, we don’t want no 6 figure commie jobs imposing them transgender bathroom laws, y’all hear?”

FYI.... like most other states, Texas would be nothing like it is today without the other 49. Including the “Yankees” (which I assume you mean Northerners)

And FYI....I’m a North Carolinian. And also FYI. No, just because north is in the name does not mean we are a northern state.

I’m simply laughing at what you’re saying. By all means, I don’t need a history lesson from you. I’m well aware of all your little Texas history.... please, don’t get worked up over my finding what you’re saying humorous. It’s not worth it.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:30 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
Quote:
I agree with this. Houston and DFW are just generic, non-descript big cities. Nothing particularly "Texan" or original about them other than some clever branding and marketing for things like the Texas state fair or Houston Rodeo. They have too many transplants to have any real authentic feel of any one region. I suspect the same could be said of Atlanta too. Small towns and rural communities that are unaffected by transplants would be where youll find most true Texans. I find the residents of Houston and DFW could careless about any unique Texan identity outside of the branding and imagery they use for their specific city.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:12 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I agree with this. Houston and DFW are just generic, non-descript big cities. Nothing particularly "Texan" or original about them other than some clever branding and marketing for things like the Texas state fair or Houston Rodeo. They have too many transplants to have any real authentic feel of any one region. I suspect the same could be said of Atlanta too. Small towns and rural communities that are unaffected by transplants would be where youll find most true Texans. I find the residents of Houston and DFW could careless about any unique Texan identity outside of the branding and imagery they use for their specific city.
You DO know that a big chunk of transplants to Houston, DFW, and Atlanta are from elsewhere in their respective states/the South overall right? I'm while I'm the farthest thing from a Texas expert, I'm pretty sure that at the least, many Texans would disagree with your assessment here as far as Fort Worth is concerned.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:46 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You DO know that a big chunk of transplants to Houston, DFW, and Atlanta are from elsewhere in their respective states/the South overall right? I'm while I'm the farthest thing from a Texas expert, I'm pretty sure that at the least, many Texans would disagree with your assessment here as far as Fort Worth is concerned.
They can disagree..thats fine. But its true. Many people in those large cities are from Texas and many of them arent. DFW and Houston (and Atlanta) are big, diverse, semi- global, progressive and international cities and thats great. But they arent quintessentially Texan at this point. Hell if you really start talking to many natives of those cities (especially Houston natives, in my experience) theyll tell you THEMSELVES they dont value having any association with what has been identifiable as traditional Texas culture. Theyll tell you themselves that they aspire to be more like NY, LA, Chicago etc than any Texas region that still has authentic Texas culture. And theres nothing wrong with that if thats what youre looking for. No city can be all things to all people. Clinging to a unique regional identity while aspiring to be as international as possible is an oxymoron.

Last edited by soletaire; 11-18-2018 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-18-2018, 03:55 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Where was the New South born. I can’t give you an exact location, but Im fairly sure both cross streets have the word “Peachtree” in their name.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Where was the New South born. I can’t give you an exact location, but Im fairly sure both cross streets have the word “Peachtree” in their name.

I always thought of VA & NC primarily as the New South.

If I had to say where the new south officially started, I would say NoVa. GA would be next in line to join the New South but it’s still a little more red, culturally, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City