Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it worth moving from Baltimore to Philly?
Yes 47 79.66%
No 12 20.34%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 09:51 PM

14,146 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
DC is changing .... just like other cities that had declines from previous decades. If Philadelphians want ther stereotypes lessened and updated and upgraded...... Then DC deserves just as much for its evolution. Next we need Baltimore to gain more and of course ... Philly continue to improve aspects of previous declines to continue.

Just because DC had this stereotype similar to Bostonians .... I certainly don't think they deserve the old stereotype in a economy that still is diversifying from Government. Especially in the region. As DC proper is not big at all. Even smaller then originally a perfect square, losing boundaries in Maryland and Virginia in the past .... originally part of the city proper

Some might even have DC envy. A bit of jealousy even it has had such a boom to include much of the city and region.... snaring Amazon too.

I still include Baltimore DC Metro's with the Northeast today more then the South. Both Hybrid cities that can go either way. DC is lido one city that needs no Skyscrapers to use to boast of its new arrival .....
Don't get me wrong either; I also enjoy visiting Washington. It has a wealth of cultural attractions, especially the free museums of the Smithsonian, lovely parks, aome very lively and diverse neighborhoods (lively but not diverse: Georgetown; lively and diverse: Adams Morgan; diverse and somewhat lively: Capitol Hill...). And on the whole, it's more attractive than Philadelphia because of its bigger tree canopy.

But even though it's diversifying, Washington remains the largest company town in America for reasons that should be obvious. It may take some time for the people whose lives don't depend on it to outnumber those who do, if indeed that day ever comes at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 10:49 PM

6,706 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Philly and Baltimore are both old school, but Baltimore is missing out on the urban renaissance you see elsewhere. Its white collar economy is based on old school finance and industrial management with old school connections. It's also a fairly small metro area that's not growing much. It's not a place where outsiders go and succeed.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:24 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Philly and Baltimore are both old school, but Baltimore is missing out on the urban renaissance you see elsewhere. Its white collar economy is based on old school finance and industrial management with old school connections. It's also a fairly small metro area that's not growing much. It's not a place where outsiders go and succeed.
This is the 1st time we actually agree on something.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:27 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
While I agree with many of these point, Baltimore MSA is growing faster than Philly, and of course its CSA is growing very rapidly (mostly due to DC and exurbs), so on on metro growth, it’s got the edge on Philly.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:20 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
While I agree with many of these point, Baltimore MSA is growing faster than Philly, and of course its CSA is growing very rapidly (mostly due to DC and exurbs), so on on metro growth, it’s got the edge on Philly.
True, but you would still be living in a metro less than half the size of Philly. Philadelphia seems a clear choice for someone preferring a more bustling urban experience.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:27 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
True, but you would still be living in a metro less than half the size of Philly. Philadelphia seems a clear choice for someone preferring a more bustling urban experience.
Exactly. Philly is simply on a larger scale for sure, though I am definitely of the opinion that B'more is very underrated with so much unrealized potential (although that's still true of Philly to some degree, too).

I'd also add that growth is certainly registering in Philly too, particularly in its most vibrant core/core-adjacent neighborhoods, so I think there's something to be said about despite Philly being slower growing, where it's growing is making the city/region an even more vibrant and impressive urban hub in the long-term.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Nobody was debating that Philly is urban over a larger area; rather, the misconception that Baltimore metro isn’t growing, or that it’s growing slower than Philly.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:05 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Quote:
While I agree about the old school connections, since manufacturing is less than 4% of metro area employment these days, I doubt that industrial management is a top white collar employment sector. The education and health sector is now over 20% of metro employment contains lots of white collar jobs. The government sector is also huge in the Baltimore Metro and has lots of white collar jobs.

Of course, since it is a bigger city, Philadelphia has more jobs in every employment type. Percent job growth tends to be about the same the two areas, with Baltimore slightly higher during the past year. Other years Philadelphia grows a little faster. The strange thing is that the economies of the two metros are somewhat similar. Philadelphia is a lot stronger in manufacturing, "information", and finance and Baltimore a lot stronger in government employment - which I assume is because of Social Security, CMS, and Fort Meade.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:14 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Nobody was debating that Philly is urban over a larger area; rather, the misconception that Baltimore metro isn’t growing, or that it’s growing slower than Philly.
Ok. I missed that. Baltimore city seems to be declining in population, however: https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...322-story.html. Philly showed a modest increase.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Ok. I missed that. Baltimore city seems to be declining in population, however: https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...322-story.html. Philly showed a modest increase.
Sure, although the original point was regarding the metro area. Baltimore’s population loss census over census appears to be slowing, just like Philly’s after five decades straight of population loss. Baltimore still has to turn the corner, whereas Philly has appeared to do so modestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City