Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy that you won/lost Amazon HQ2
I live near NYC/DC and am glad that we won HQ2 33 20.63%
I live near NYC/DC and wish we didn't win HQ2 18 11.25%
I live near the other competing metros and am sad that we lost HQ2 37 23.13%
I live near the other competing metros and am glad that we didn't win HQ2 72 45.00%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 10:03 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,134 posts, read 7,586,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
In your previous post, you linked to an article that had excerpts from a recently released book that literally stated Philadelphia, Raleigh, and Chicago were the search committees picks and Bezos and Jassy said they would rather just be in NYC and DC. Look it up. There’s plenty of news articles. The snide tone in your last sentence makes you look foolish.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/bu...251365043.html
I never posted any link as such in this thread before. But even that one summarizes the same point from the Washingtonian article. It appears Philly along with a few other cities from the top 20 were on some broad wish list that the team they created wanted to give the city a real shot, but that never came to fruition once comparisons made it down to the micro level:

"The S-Team pored over it, and ultimately came away with its own preferences, according to the book. And that didn’t bode well for Raleigh.

Chicago’s government was often in conflict and credit agencies rated it financially unstable. Philadelphia was not home to enough engineering talent.

And Raleigh, while it “was business-friendly, had a low cost of living and little traffic,” the book reports, was considered too small for Amazon.

Instead, Stone writes, these cities made the S-team’s list of finalists: Dallas, Los Angeles, New York City, Northern Virginia and Nashville."

So the real actual HQ2 finalists were the three that were chosen, plus Dallas and LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
Yeah, I'm also getting a little tired of this: "Philly lacks talent" city-data mantra.
That's the issue though, it's not really a city-data mantra at all. It's coming from either media, or the specific business execs listed in the article.

If anything people on city-data would be your first allies to step in and say, they know there's more than meets the eye, being that the average c-d poster knows a bit more about cities than the average person walking down the street.

Old 05-21-2021, 05:18 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,527,842 times
theresident09, I really could care less about this but you seem intent to mischaracterize this story. There was a search committee at Amazon. They generated all this buzz putting out a RFP. That committee put out a list of 20 finalists. They further narrowed it down to 3, before "Bezo's personal S-team" decided to go a different way.

Quote:
The personal preferences of founder Jeff Bezos and other top Amazon executives may have sunk Philadelphia and other recommended finalists for Amazon's HQ2 project, according to a new book.
- The New York Times

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...mazon-hq2.html

Old 05-21-2021, 05:39 AM

Quote:
theresident09, I really could care less about this but you seem intent to mischaracterize this story. There was a search committee at Amazon. They generated all this buzz putting out a RFP. That committee put out a list of 20 finalists. They further narrowed it down to 3, before "Bezo's personal S-team" decided to go a different way.

- The New York Times

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...mazon-hq2.html
My quotes are from your links posted, and were replies to your post about an article in which the article implied Philly was specifically not chosen due to the city's perceived image (one notable example being Eagles fans). I think we all remember how long the selection process took, it was a very brief moment that both Philly and Raleigh were seriously considered, because the execs were spending ample time in places like Northern Va and even Miami well before the HQ2 selection months and months earlier that year. Philadelphia, once the actual narrowing down of a list took place (the entire second half of 2018), was not in the top 5 finalist cities. Not sure what angle you are coming from, as the HQ2 cities have been determined for a few years now. This doesn't take away from the city on any level, as mentioned it will thrive without the headquarters.

Last edited by the resident09; 05-21-2021 at 05:53 AM..

Old 05-21-2021, 05:50 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That's the issue though, it's not really a city-data mantra at all. It's coming from either media, or the specific business execs listed in the article.

If anything people on city-data would be your first allies to step in and say, they know there's more than meets the eye, being that the average c-d poster knows a bit more about cities than the average person walking down the street.
It’s not C-D. Philly really does lack the deep talent pool of the top cities. You can’t staff a large tech organization with top local talent. There just isn’t enough of it. You have to import it and that’s a tough nut to solve. For example, Comcast had to put their Crown Jewels RDK-B project, the software in their cable modems, in Silicon Valley paying Bay Area wages. Same for the parallel video set top box project. They’ve always had a strategy of stuffing their office tower with Infosys contractors from India. That’s fine for repetitive task jobs but you can’t use that strategy to create intellectual property. Nobody sitting in the top tech cities is going to want to take a Philly job. Once they’re out of their housing market, they’re shut out forever. It’s a huge scaling problem.

Old 05-21-2021, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
My quotes are from your links posted and replies to your post about an

article which implied Philly was specifically not chosen due to the city's perceived image (one notable example being Eagles fans). Philadelphia once the actual narrowing down of a list took place was not in the top 5 finalist cities. Not sure what angle you are coming from, as the HQ2 cities have been determined for a few years now.

So you just won't acknowledge that the executives just decided on where they wanted to be and not the search committee that created the circus? I think we have came to an impasse.

Old 05-21-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
So you just won't acknowledge that the executives just decided on where they wanted to be and not the search committee that created the circus? I think we have came to an impasse.
Philly was one of three (recommended) cities to look seriously into, it was not named a top three finalist. The S-team was created to specifically dive deeper into things, and at this point executives weighed their decisions. When finalists were actually named it wasn't until late 2018. I think that's the disconnect here.

Old 05-21-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s not C-D. Philly really does lack the deep talent pool of the top cities. You can’t staff a large tech organization with top local talent. There just isn’t enough of it. You have to import it and that’s a tough nut to solve. For example, Comcast had to put their Crown Jewels RDK-B project, the software in their cable modems, in Silicon Valley paying Bay Area wages. Same for the parallel video set top box project. They’ve always had a strategy of stuffing their office tower with Infosys contractors from India. That’s fine for repetitive task jobs but you can’t use that strategy to create intellectual property. Nobody sitting in the top tech cities is going to want to take a Philly job. Once they’re out of their housing market, they’re shut out forever. It’s a huge scaling problem.

Philly isn't a great tech city, but it could be. Philly produces tons of graduates every year that fill entry level tech jobs all across the country. The goal of the local ecosystem is simply retain more people locally.

I mean you can find stories every week of companies choosing Philadelphia.

Philly-based Piano turns LinkedIn executives into fans

It is all about niches too. Gene and cell therapy is Philadelphia's.

Industry Experts Weigh in on Why Philadelphia’s Biotech Real Estate Market is Booming

Philadelphia, Pacific Northwest See Surge in Biopharma Jobs

It's funny, a good positive story about Philadelphia being in the final consideration for the HQ2, and the city-data faithful respond by saying "well they didn't win, they obviously do not have what Amazon is looking for".

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 05-21-2021 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: wrong link

Old 05-21-2021, 09:44 AM

724 posts, read 404,690 times
If I was an Amazon employee, I'd be much more excited about moving to/living in Philly than DC/Norther Virginia.

Philly is a much bigger and more dynamic city, and has a better price point. With all of the high caliber universities in the area, it is well positioned to attract talent; and there are overall a better collection of universities in Philly than in DC (DC doesn't have an Ivy like UPenn).

I can understand losing out to NYC; and I would even understand Philly losing out to SF or Boston; but I don't understand how Northern Virginia/DC beat out Philly.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:35 AM

281 posts, read 170,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
but I don't understand how Northern Virginia/DC beat out Philly.

Jeff Bezos seems the likely answer to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City