Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy that you won/lost Amazon HQ2
I live near NYC/DC and am glad that we won HQ2 33 20.63%
I live near NYC/DC and wish we didn't win HQ2 18 11.25%
I live near the other competing metros and am sad that we lost HQ2 37 23.13%
I live near the other competing metros and am glad that we didn't win HQ2 72 45.00%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 03:09 PM

230 posts, read 286,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
False.

Coincidentally, analytics firm Piano just confirmed this week that it considers Philadelphia its new homebase (after being heavily in NYC):

https://www.inquirer.com/business/pi...-20210518.html
Great article. Thanks for posting.

Also: I mean, wasn't the site that Amazon was supposedly considering Schuylkill Yards?

That's literally at the front door of Penn, Drexel, and the entire University City R&D infrastructure.

Yet they "can't find talent"?

But we're the backwards, under-educated rubes?

Sure. OK.

Last edited by LiveFrom215; 05-21-2021 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: typos, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 03:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,606 posts, read 81,297,702 times
Since Amazon's big building filled up in Seattle, our property value went from the recession low of $450kto now $1,196,911, for which I suppose we should be grateful. We only paid $190k in 1993, and would not be able to afford to buy it today. Most of the neighbors we know, including the last 3 buyers have been Amazon Tech workers. People working anywhere else, with the exception of some at Microsoft and Boeing have little chance to buy a house. The pre-pandemic traffic cost by their South Lake Union employee commuters, even with their shuttles, has clogged up the freeways, bridges and Seattle streets. I think their biggest benefit to the area is the warehouse districts in places like Renton Kent and Auburn, WA with lower housing costs and Amazon warehouse pay is up to $24/hour.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:11 PM

8,877 posts, read 6,893,618 times
They're a chunk of that traffic, but I doubt they're a huge chunk of it other than the localized gridlock in SLU and the Denny Triangle.

Commute Seattle puts together the best estimates of commute mode splits for greater Downtown. https://www.commuteseattle.com/wp-co...nal-Report.pdf

South Lake Union was 27% single-occupancy vehicle commutes in 2019, down from 41% in 2012. This is most of Amazon's older offices since the 2010 move from Beacon Hill and the ID.

The Denny Triangle, where they've grown more lately, was 21%, dropping from 30%.

The Commercial Core btw was 15% in 2019 vs. 17% in 2012.

Basically greater Downtown grew explosively during this period but (while I don't see a specific estimate) didn't add a lot of car commuters.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,021,384 times
I think I was either still in DC or had just left for Reno when DC won it. I was slightly disappointed, I never really identified with DC (just a big transient metro where I lived for a few months) and it would've been cool if a more economically struggling city had won one of the HQs.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:42 PM

830 posts, read 1,021,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
If I was an Amazon employee, I'd be much more excited about moving to/living in Philly than DC/Norther Virginia.

Philly is a much bigger and more dynamic city, and has a better price point. With all of the high caliber universities in the area, it is well positioned to attract talent; and there are overall a better collection of universities in Philly than in DC (DC doesn't have an Ivy like UPenn).
I don't know. Even if you look exclusively at the DC and Philly metros and not nearby, they both share a strong set of universities, but to be fair, does UPenn or Georgetown actually produce the kind of graduates en masse really demanded by Amazon; you need engineering, not business or policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
I can understand losing out to NYC; and I would even understand Philly losing out to SF or Boston; but I don't understand how Northern Virginia/DC beat out Philly.
Let's not pretend like DC isn't vibrant. It, like Philly, is on fire, maybe more so. And don't forget about incentives and state law, which also come into play. The part of NOVA where HQ2 is located is practically an extension of DC with those friendlier business laws and an equal measure of connectivity to the center. And anyone who's lived in Philly and PA generally knows about the extra taxes you end up paying as a resident. That isn't attractive. Plus Philly is full of energy and culture, but as someone also mentioned earlier, it has a very, very strong local culture, that is possibly a turnoff to newcomers/outsiders, or persons not familiar with it.

Old 05-23-2021, 03:57 PM

230 posts, read 286,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Saying Philly didn't fit the "profile" is a really bogus claim. Philadelphia finished in the top 3 above DC, and the Washingtonian puffs out it's chest and says Philly can't compete us! The executives always knew they just wanted to be in NYC and Bezos wanted to be at his mansion in DC. Schuylkill Yards is a ballin' development that is still getting built without Amazon as the anchor.
I just read that Washingtonian article in full.

I don't take it personally, I get that it's just good natured regional trash talk.

But I'm sitting here like: "Wait. Your football team has been so blatantly, virulently racist for nearly a century; that they're now embarrassed to even be associated with their own slur of a former team name and logo; and now just call themselves "Football Team"?

And Eagles fans were the Amazon dealbreaker? The image problem? The bridge too far?

Somebody's in their own supply.

Last edited by LiveFrom215; 05-23-2021 at 04:08 PM..

Old 05-26-2021, 06:58 AM

279 posts, read 317,618 times
In Boston metro. I'm indifferent to not winning HQ2. Didn't see that as an option.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:38 PM

783 posts, read 696,812 times
Wow I'm surprised this came back from the dead. Just to put my 2 cents in. I think Atlanta should have won that. I'm not from there but I think it was the best pick looking at all of the criteria. Also it isn't ridiculously expensive and would have been a boost to the southeast region. I know people may say that he could have brought Detroit back or something, but let's be realistic that's too big of a stretch. I don't think asking him to be a charity is reasonable when he is trying to make his business succeed. Atlanta isn't the most awesome place to live but it's a decent one. Rather than making already ridiculously expensive metros more expensive he should have picked Atlanta.

That being said NYC/DC are ridiculous. We didn't need that whole nonsense to pick those cities.

Old 05-27-2021, 05:22 PM

571 posts, read 1,175,025 times
Interesting thing about the whole HQ2 thing too - Bellevue, right across the lake from Seattle, is being built out to accommodate 25k Amazon employees - same as Arlington.

Old 05-27-2021, 05:24 PM

8,877 posts, read 6,893,618 times
Bellevue is doing it all at once, with WAY more construction than Arlington. This is just the main HQ continuing to be the main growth location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City